Liked: 0

Default Oil Cooler Placement

Currently my oil cooler is mounted behind the main hoop, rather high. The cooling seems ok, but we want to make some changes to the bodywork over winter and try to get some better aero on the car. The question has come up regarding relocating the oil cooler to either the front or the side of the car. I'm interested in pros, cons, suggestions, pics whatever for front or side location. I'd also be interested to know if anyone has run dual oil coolers, one on each side of the car.

Thanks guys
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 16

Bob,

Why are you wanting to run dual coolers? Are you having an oil cooling problem? If so, something else is likely the issue, not airflow.

With dual coolers, unless they are EXTRA small, you would likely take the entire race to actually get the temp to acceptable for max HP.

I run a single type 4 VW cooler on a filter block. I steal some air from next to the head scoop and divert it to the oil cooler.

Do you run a full flow oil system today? If not, you may want to run a filter block. It incorporates the filter and cooler on one block on top of the engine and eliminates the hoses. (less weight)

Some will tell you to run a full flow system, although I don't think you will really see any difference in life or certainly not performance. They each have their +'s and -'s.

I think Jim at SR can still make a filter block for a full flow system, but call him to confirm.

If you still want to run a remote filter, take a look at the GCR as for placement. There is a rule about where it can go. page 199
    Stephen Saslow

Dual isn't being seriouly considered, it was just something that we wondered about. In looking to relocate the cooler from the current location, in order to give us more flexibility in revising the body work, we started talking about front mounting or making a "side pod" and mounting it on the side of the car. I'm a symetry nut and if something is on one side of the car, then it needs to be on the other side as well!

We're still trying to learn a lot - obviously
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 16

Symetry has no place in a race car! :-) Especially our air cooled motors! Haven't you noticed one scoop is typically further forward or different shaped already due to the offset of the cylinder jugs! :-)

Seriously though, I would explore the filter block option. Much simpler, especially if you are starting off.
    Stephen Saslow

Quote Originally Posted by smsazzy View Post
    Seriously though, I would explore the filter block option. Much simpler, especially if you are starting off.
    Thanks - we'll certianly look into that.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Thread Information