Liked: 7

Default 6L Chevy Good?Bad?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a used Chevy 2500 with the 6.0L gas motor. Does anyone have any feedback/experiance with this motor?

It is going to replace my Tahoe, which has over 200K on the origional 5.7, would be nice if the 6L is as robust!

Thanks
    Jim

Liked: 0

Default 6.0

Jim,

I was towing with a 2005 3/4 6.0 Suburban for 2 years. The 3.73 gear was fine towing a 24" tag. My trailer is heavy and has extended height. I had to replace it when I was t-boned. The 2007 Sub 6.0L that I have now has a 4.10 reaend and it gets to speed much better. Non towing gas mileage is worst though. Towing mileage is about the same.

If you have been towing with a Tahoe you will be amazed how muuch better the extra wheelbase helps when towing.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

We are using a 2004 2500HD with the 6L. Since we are towing a 14ft single axle and a
    F500 the truck doesnt even know the trailer is there. We avg 14mpg towing but I have never tried not using the tow button. We have small hills here except when we tow to Pocono or WGI in which case we go over the higher ridges but it doesnt seem to affect the gas mileage much nor does it seem to make much diff with the air on or off.

Liked: 16

I tow a 22' enclosed trailer with a 2004 Sierra Denali (6.0L with 4.10 rear, AWD). No real problem handling the weight even when the trailer is maxxed out with our IT car in it. (Trailer at close to 7000 lbs) Gas mileage is around 9mpg if kept at 65-70 mph, using trailer tow mode and leaving it in overdrive.

Only problem mechanically with 60K miles so far has been blowing off a few exhaust manifold studs, a common problem apparently with this engine.
    Rob Zatz

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default Chevy 6.0L

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L, 4WD, crew cab, short box & trailering package. It has 200k miles on it. I pull a 22’ tag just short of 9000#. Living in Colorado, I pull over the mountains to get anywhere. I can make Rabbit Ears, Eisenhower or any of the other 7% grades at 45MPH. Gas mileage in the mountains is right at 10MPG. It drops to 9 MPG on the Eastern Plains, but I’m usually running at 75 MPH, lots of wind drag. Mileage gets better as you get down in elevation.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]No big issues with the engine; one cracked exhaust manifold, water pump backplate gasket started leaking, spark modules are starting to fail, two dead already, now keep a spare in the truck, Delphi units $85 each, six more to go. Clutch at 125k. One full set of driveline universals joints, starting in on second set at 200k. Rear axle seals went out at 100k, one covered, one not. Put in improved seals, no problems since. One AC compressor. One fuel pump, most likely due to bad gas.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Overall, I have been pleased. Would buy another in a heartbeat.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]John Mihalich, Jr.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Contributing Member
    Liked: 95

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra extra cab (suicide rear doors) 2500HD with the 6.0. Had it since about 50K and it has 78K on it now. I towed a 27' pace weighing about 5K pounds with no problem. I now pull a 31' balboa toybox type rv trailer. Don't know the weight yet but its probably 8K and it is a bit more noticeable but still handles it just fine.

I've only had to replace one of the four oxygen sensors, and the fuel guage is flaky, reading empty when its just been filled up and slowly coming up while traveling. And the transmission sets a slipping trans component MIL code when on the highway for an extended period of time with hard shifting as the symptom. Its been checked with no obvious problems, and I hear that its a flaw in the valve body which might be fixed with a new one.

Oddly enough, my older 88 GMC 1500 with the 5.7 had the same hard shifting symptoms!

Thread Information