Liked: 0

Default Newbie Questions

Hi All

I'm interested in racing Formula First. I checked into Formula Vee a few years ago and first heard of FST. It seems to really be gaining some momentum. I like the modern look of the FST as opposed to the FV.

Anyway, I can figure out the cost to buy a FST, tools, trailer, etc. The thing I need help with is the actual cost to get through a weekend. Ignoring hotels, tow vehicle fuel and food, how much does it cost for things such as tires, entrance fee, spares, etc.?

Also, is there any way to try a FST? I know other forms of racing offer rental programs, but what if you don't have a SCCA license? Does this mean you'd you have obtain one before being able to try it? Before I'd invest in one I'd like to at least drive one.

Any info would be great.

Thank you,

Mike
    Last edited by gwizdek25; 08.16.09 at 10:38 PM.

Liked: 190

Default FST Test Drive

Mike,

Your costs can vary, but in a general range, per race costs are in the hundreds of dollars. Early on, we averaged the numbers over three years running 8+ races per year. It came out to $198 per race (less all the things you listed plus entry fees). Costs have gone up, but I'd bet we're not spending more than $300 per race.

We just hosted a test drive earlier this year at the Autobahn where you could take a few laps in a Campbell Motorsport Evolution. Beyond that, something could be arranged. Maybe at Blackhawk? Do you have any racing experience? Midwestern Council? We don't have a rental program, but we will rent a car for the purpose of helping someone to make a purchase decision on buying a car.

Don't forget, we are having a series FST race at The Milwaukee Mile this weekend. Get in contact with me if you need a pass to get in. You'll get to see the latest in FST cars as well as see some close racing. Plenty of FST guys there to ask any questions you may have.

Bill
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. What is the cost per weekend for the entry fee? Also, where or how could I find a schedule with the racetracks I would compete at? I assume you race at Road America and Blackhawk, but what other tracks are there where I could race a FST?

The only racing experience I have is in karting. I've been racing for about 19 years now. I started out in 4-cycle, then to 2-cycle and also shifter karts. I'm not sure what Midwestern Council is.

Yes I saw you are racing at the Mile this weekend. Unfortunately I'll be out of town, but thank you for the offer. The Mile is only minutes from my house so it would have been perfect. Will you be racing on the roadcourse or the oval?

Will there be anymore races such as Blackhawk, RA or somewhere else close I would be able to attend?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Sorry, you did ask that in your first post. Entry fees for the typical SCCA Regional is in the $300 range (varies depending on the event) for a double race weekend. A double weekend gets you a race on Saturday and a race on Sunday. Earlier this year at Blackhawk, we had a "quad race" weekend with (2) races on Saturday and (2) on Sunday.

Too bad about your being out of town this coming wekend. Unfortunatly, The Milwaukee Mile is the last local US Formula First series weekend. The last series race of this year will be at Mid-Ohio on September 5 & 6. We also have the US Formula First Grand Prix held in conjunction with the ARRC at Road Atlanta in November.

There is a double regional at Blackhawk in October, but I don't know if any FST's will be going.

Our series runs in multiple divisions of SCCA. Each division has their own schedule of regional events. FST is eligable at any SCCA sanctioned regional nation-wide, but we host a series of specific race weekends in which we pick dates and focus on running those events. We felt it is better to show up in force at a small amount of events rather than one or two cars scattered over many events. Being that FST started and most (but not all) of our cars are in the midwest, the US FST series events typically stay in the midwest.

Karting experience is certainly a plus, but I'm not sure how licensing issues are handled on track test days (like Blackhawk). Midwestern Council is a small local orgainization similar to SCCA (sanctioning body)

Here is a link to our schedule for '09 http://www.formula-first.org/index.html

Hope this answers some questions.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 76

Mike;
    I have an Evolution FST avilable for a test drive. I am in Elgin,Il and you can look into track days at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. They have a calander on there website. The other possibility is to enter a MWCSCC Autocross and get in a few laps running against a clock. Call me or eMail me to try to arainge a time we can both make it.

Butch Deer
    847-695-6978-home
    859-963-8318-cell
    butch@racecarsupply.com e mail
    butch deer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I'll give you an idea what I budget to run my FV this season. An FST is pretty close, and maybe even cheaper.

Entry fee: $330 (double regional)
    Race gas: $35 (8-10 gals. AVGAS @ $4/gal)
    Towing gas: $50-75 (I've been staying within a 100-mile radius of home this year; truck get 8mph with trailer)
    Engine rebuild fund: $150 (the amortized cost of a rebuild divided by approx. 10 events)
    Tires: $100 ($200 used set of Hoosier take-offs divided by two weekends)
    Misc: $50 (meals, drinks, etc.)
    Subtotal: $715-740/weekend

I sleep at home (helps to live 40 minutes from RA and 30 min. from MM) or in the trailer, so I budget zero for lodging. Not all of the costs are out of pocket for each event, so you can fudge some of the numbers, but this gives you an idea of what it costs to race an open wheel car at about the cheapest level possible.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Here is a photo of Butch Deer's '08 Campbell Evolution coming over the jump at Grattan

I'd get in contact with Butch and arrange a test drive.
    Bill Bonow

Thank you all for the replies.

So how long does a set of tires last? Aside from crash damage (and entry fees) it seems like tires are one of the most expensive parts of a weekend.

In karting I'm use to buying a new set every weekend, although they are much less expensive. I've also been involved with circle track racing where we bought multiple sets a weekend.

Thanks,

Mike

Default Tire life

Mike,

Tire life is one of the best things about FST. We spec out the hardest compound tire available. In the US FST series, we use the Hoosier R60A. Typcally, we are seeing around 20 heat cycles (approx. 8 to 10 races) per set. You don't see very many sticker tires on the track during the season. We have been very happy with the tires ability to remain consistant through multiple heat cycles (ie, you can change them as often as you like, but the results are the same, new or old).
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 174

Matt:

You mentioned that the engine rebuild costs would be spread out over
    10 weekends which is about 20 hours. I think Bill mentioned in another
    post that he expects close to 50 hours between rebuilds which would
    lower the costs even further. Speaking of the R60's, I raced with close
    to 25+ heat cycles on them and they still were useable etc.....

Mark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Two different classes. I was using an example from FV. One of the promoted attractions of FST is cheaper, longer lasting engines.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Thread Information