Liked: 0

Default Mounting small magnet for AiM wheel speed sensor

Hi to all of you super whizzy FST'ers,

Continuance of rookie builder questions.

Where did you mount the small magnet for the wheel speed sensor for the AiM systems? Pictures a plus.....

Thanks.......

cheers, geno

Moved to new post
    Last edited by Geno; 07.27.09 at 3:04 PM. Reason: Should have been new post

Default Someone has to know how they did this????

I'm bumping this message because I haven't neard from anyone........ I knwo someone out there has done this and I would really appreciate your help (if it is supersecret I promise I won't tell anyone else) Thanks a bunch! cheers, geno

Hi to all of you super whizzy FST'ers,

Continuance of rookie builder questions.

Where did you mount the small magnet for the wheel speed sensor for the AiM systems? Pictures a plus.....

Thanks.......

cheers, geno

Liked: 42

I honestly have no clue what the rear of a FST car looks like. So without pictures I'm not sure where the mounting choices are.

In my FC car we had a thin piece of a aluminum in a triangular shape that mounted to two of the inner CV bolts, the third point of the triangle was the magnet. Then another piece of aluminum with the sensor part of the equation was mounted to the chassis. I no longer have the car and the new car has GPS so I don't have one that I can take a picture of and I don't have one of the old car that shows the mounts.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Not on an FST, but on other cars and motorcycles, I have JB-welded the magnet to a disc brake rotor ( near the inner hat area outside of the swept area) then attached a bracket on the spindle or lower fork tube to mount the pickup.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 2

If you're mounting AIM stuff, you must be getting close! Can't wait to see the new car Geno.
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Liked: 309

Default Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Not on an FST, but on other cars and motorcycles, I have JB-welded the magnet to a disc brake rotor ( near the inner hat area outside of the swept area) then attached a bracket on the spindle or lower fork tube to mount the pickup.
    As Matt has noted, I used JB weld to attach the magnet to the inner portion of the disc. Here's a thread with photo examples of the pick-up mounting options on a DB-1:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28999

One thing to note, I followed the advice given to me and swapped the supplied AiM magnet with one purchased from Radio Shack. The Radio Shack magnet is very small making mounting it on the disc extremely simple.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 190

Geno,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. (work gets in the way )

I'll try to get a photo, but we drill, tap and countersink a hole on the inside ID of the rotor face. We thread (3 or 4 mm?) and lockite the magnet in position. Never had any trouble.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default Magnet Mounting For AIM

Geno,

Sorry for the delay, as well I never saw your post. Jim Nash asked for this about a year & a half ago, so I did take pictures for him.

Bill (Bonow) fabricated an Aluminum bracket which attaches to the spindle. We then drill, tap and countersink a hole in the brake rotor for mounting the magnet. Sorry for the out of focus magnet picture but I think you will get the Idea.

Carl
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Default THANKS!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!........... THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!!!!

geno

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

So the heat doesn't kill the magnet or weaken the epoxy when mounted directly to the disc?

Brian

Liked: 190

Brian,

We (Evo-Devo) tried epoxy and didn't like the non-repeatable results, so we only drill and tap. These brakes are so much overkill for the car, heat is never an issue. We are using stock OE VW pads that last 2+ seasons.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Enough heat will overcome the epoxy. On Buell race bikes we had problems with the perimeter mounted front brake rotors because the whole rotor is essentially the friction surface and would get so hot it would melt the epoxy and then the little magnets would go flying off into obilvion. Using the threaded magnets was the only solution.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Thread Information