Thread: RA Gear Ratios

Liked: 6

Default RA Gear Ratios

Would someone please recommend the gears to use at RA in a Swift DB-1? I really want to be sure to have a tall enough 4th, so my engine says together.

Thanks,
    Sam
    FF #196

Liked: 1417

These are the gearing recommendations I have in my records for RA:

Jake Lamont FF Book + Taylor Race Engineering (10:31)
    18:34 (1.89)
    20:30 (1.50)
    23:29 (1.26)
    25:27 (1.08)
    Jason Byers CF (10:31)
    16:29 (1.81)
    20:31 (1.55)
    21:27 (1.29)
    24:26 (1.08)
    My DB1 setup as it sits (10:31)
    18:33 (1.83)
    21:29 (1.38)
    23:28 (1.22)
    25:27 (1.08)
    The setup on my car is Blackhawk gearing, take the 2nd gear out, move 3rd to 2nd, move 4th to 3rd, and replace 4th gear with a 25:27. For this setup, you need one spare gear set to race at both Blackhawk and Road America, and should be suitable for most club racers.

There is no reason not to listen to the Taylor/Lamont suggestions, though, if you are starting from scratch.

doug

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

I posted the same question two months ago and received NO reply. However, I made some phone calls to people I feel reliable and this is what I came up with using a 9:31 R&P.

First-20:30, second-22:30, third-24:27, fourth-26:25 (referred to as one over); need the tall fourth gear for drafting out of thunder valley, otherwise your RPM will be somewhat north of 6800. Good luck, hope you do well and have a great time.

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    I posted the same question two months ago and received NO reply. However, I made some phone calls to people I feel reliable and this is what I came up with using a 9:31 R&P.
    You did post your question in the Monoposto Classic Vintage forum, and most would consider your particular car a Club Ford. Did you look in the The Perpetual "What Gearing Do I Run at This Track?" Thread in the General Formula Ford discussion area? It's a stickied thread, and the Lamont gears were posted in there some time ago.

Thread Information