Liked: 8

Default Vintage FF70 race tire choice

According to this, page 7/12 section #13 -

http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/RoadRa...e%20Packet.pdf

If you're in the FF70 group you have no restriction on tires. I'm thinking of running take-off R35's, as they're available more so than R60s at the same price.. and I don't want to burn my good R60s because they need to last the rest of the season.... and I have a spare set of rims with completely shot R60s...

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything that would prevent me running the 35 tire?

Cheers,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

No, you are not missing anything, any tire per Monoposto FF70 rules, go for it !

Liked: 123

Just hope it doesn't rain...

Liked: 8

Brian,

That's what the mounted rains are for!

-Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Rain

Guys...it's the 40th for FF. What are the odds we'll be playing some in the rain? I'm bringing 2 sets.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    Guys...it's the 40th for FF. What are the odds we'll be playing some in the rain? I'm bringing 2 sets.
    Hey Old Buddy, what have you got planned for the second set?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Monoposto has an open tire rules for the FF70 cars because they always run in a separate "Wings and Slicks" class - ie - with SV, F Atl, F1. The FF70 class is dying on the vine with Monoposto b/c the drivers are not interesting in sharing the track with those other classes.

At non-Monoposto events (V.R.G., etc) run the Vintage (pre 72) FFords and the FF70 (CF) FFords together in the same session, all cars run on the Dunlops treaded tires but are otherwise built to the Monoposoto rulebook. This was done to create parity between the classes while sharing the track.

Funnily, it is at these non-monoposto sanctioned events where the significant growth of Monopostos FF70 class has occurred. At Monoposto sanctioned events tthe intention has been made clear that the FF70 and vintage fords will not share the track. This has more to do with the incompatibility of of the FF70 cars and the vintage formula juniors and vintage Vees than it does the incompatibility of the early and later FFords.

Back to tires - at the 40th, I expect there will be a number of FF70 cars on CF slicks just as there will be some on Dunlops.

I will be running Dunlops in both the Vintage and in the Regional CF class b/c I don't want to buy a 2nd set of tires. I'd have no issue with with someone running slicks in either class to save money as well but if you are in a position to buy a set you may find you are in a lonely camp if you buy soft slicks.

The tire rules are open, so you have a choice. The fuel rules are open too but many people are indicating that they will steer clear of the Rocket fuel...too bad we couldn't do the same with tires.

See you there

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

Kinda funny how Monoposto gets itself wrapped up in all this. Incompatibility? Out west here in VARA VFF and CF run together, with the VFF on dunlop treads and the CF on American Racers, HSR throws modern fords in the mix on any tire in the same group. Folks do have to be careful for the first lap or two as the dunlops and the ARs are pretty equal until the slicks come up to temp, and that occasionally causes a problem, but not enough to consider the cars "incompatible".

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

This will be my first time racing on a mixed treaded / slicks grid. Should be interesting.

Just to be clear, the incompatibility issue was between a slick shod CF and say for example, a 948cc Front Engined Junior with L series Dunlops. Technically you could run this F Junior with a F1 car on the track but I doubt anyone would want to. Monoposto drew the "compatibility" line at Vintage FFord.

Or should I say, the members who were on the Vintage Open wheel grid did. Monoposto has a lot of these early Formula cars that are active in their ranks and I think thats great that they are preserved. They also have a critical mass of members to not have to relax the rules in order to maintain grid numbers.

While I have no issue running a CF with Vintage FFords, it won't happen with Monoposto so I have to go and play elsewhere - no problemo. There are tons of great Club Ford options for racing in the East.

On Dunlops or (hard) slicks.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Thread Information