Thread: fsv

Liked: 0

Default fsv

were 85/86 ralt rt5 fuel injected or carbutered ,did they use ft-200 or mk 9 hewland ,were wheel size 8 and 10 or 9 and 11

Liked: 113

Default FSV

Good Morning Peter,

There are far more knowledgeable people on this site than I, but from my understanding the info is as follows:

All FSV's in "PRO" spec ran 6" front and 8" rears, used MK 9 gearboxes (with only 4 forward speeds BTW) and ran FI engines from 1980 on, but were allowed for competition during the 1978 season in carburetor and injected form.

This is a fantastic site and I am sure that if I missed anything it will be quickly noted...

Chris
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Liked: 611

Default FSV

The "Pro" series eventually changed the wheel size to 8's and 10's from 6's and 8's, due to a rash of front tire failures on the 6" fronts, on the ovals. The club rules allowed a larger intake restricter bore for carbs. than fuel inj., but in the pro series, there was just one size, thus fuel inj. was the norm.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

I believe the engine size changed to 1835 cc with the advent of the larger wheels/tires. The gearbox has always been a Mark 9 - never FT.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 113

Default engine size

I could be wrong, but didn't the engine size only go to 1835 cc after the PRO series ended in 1990 and the cars were "merged" into Formula Atlantic at the SCCA club level?

I also think that the cars at the SCCA club level were allowed to have the option of running the MK 9 as a 5 speed to assist with the parity.

Chris
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Robson View Post
    I could be wrong, but didn't the engine size only go to 1835 cc after the PRO series ended in 1990 and the cars were "merged" into Formula Atlantic at the SCCA club level.
    Chris
    This is what I remembered also. The 1835cc upgrade was to help the 8 valve VW engines have a better chance, (although still no chance), of keeping up with the 16 valve Toyotas in FA.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Default fsv

what was the size of air restrictor in 85 series

Liked: 14

Default FI air restrictor

30mm, though earlier it was 32mm.
    Mike McHugh
    ansonracecars@sbcglobal.net

Default 1985 SV specs

In 1985, the wheels were still 6" f and 8" r.
    The 1600 cc was the engine size for all of the Pro SV series, 4 spd, open diff.
    The 8" and 10" wheels were introduced when BBS signed on as a series sponsor= $50,000 kicked in as prize money (but every competitor was required to use their wheels (sales paying for the prize money, i suppose). c. 1987.

Hope this helps,
    Mike McHugh
    ansonracecars@sbcglobal.net

Default Pro SV rules

In anticipation of the next question, the brake rules were changed along with the BBS 8 and 10 wheels spec. Until then, we had to use the cast iron VW calipers and rotors. the new rule had some "approved" calipers, but was essentially free (aluminum, magnesium).
    This was thought a good balance with the new, wider tires.

BTW, with the 1991 (?) club rules allowing ex SV cars to run 5 speed, Ltd. Slip diffs, and 1835cc engines, some SV's (my Anson) were a good match in FA, even in Nationals, at least at Laguna and Sears, thru 1998.

Mike

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Mike is right, he kicked some serious butt here in the SF Region with his Anson SA-4? It was common to see him beat the RT41's and the high dollar CSR's of Billington and Foster in National events. I don't know if the SA4 was better then the SA6, but I'm sure Mike could tell us.

Contributing Member Allan Davies's Avatar

Amusingly enough, I have one of each...

I have been fortunate enough to acquire Mike's SA-4 and then later one of the ex-Mark Pivec team SA-6's.

Not that I'm any great talent to be able to tell, but having driven both over the past several years, the SA-4 has pretty consistently been just slightly quicker. I think a lot of that can be attributed to the engines in the cars. Both have been rebuilt by Bertil Sollenskog, the SA-4 engine is on Webers while the SA-6 has the Bosch Racetronic FI. Dyno sheets from Bertil show the Weber engine to be about 10hp up on the Bosch engine.

It's funny, but if you didn't know which car you were in it would be very difficult to tell one from the other in terms of driveability and balance...they both are supremely confidence-inspiring cars with absolutely no bad quirks to catch you out. I've never had the opportunity to drive a Ralt RT5 or one of the Martinis, but it would be hard to imagine that they could be any better than either of the Ansons.

Pretty special cars, both.

Liked: 17

Alan - Is the SA-6 back together. My SA-4 will hit the track in June after a year long rebuild. I am running Lucas mechanical injection.

Contributing Member Allan Davies's Avatar

Hi Tim,

Yes the SA 6 is slowly coming together. I'm hoping to get out in both of them at some point during this season...not my usual style campaigning, but at least some testing and a couple of races. We'll see.

Don't think I'll be making it to the west coast this year, otherwise I'd be happy to get out on the track with you, but have fun...I'm sure you'll enjoy the car. All the work you've put into it, I'm sure it'll turn out worthwhile.

Let us all know how the car goes for you.

Best regards,

Allan
    Last edited by Allan Davies; 05.25.09 at 10:07 PM.

Default AOC

I hereby call to order the meeting of the AOC----Anson Owners Club.
    To vote, put your right foot down!

President---Alan
    VP and new car builder==Tim
    Janitor---Mike

Liked: 17

Default Anson SA4 FSV

Mike,

Had my first outing and race in the car two weeks ago. The car ran great and I had a blast. There was a lot of comments regarding the cars design and construction.

Default Another Satisfied Anson Customer !

Tim,
    Thanks for the pics, it looks great. I'm very happy that things went well on the maiden outing. Much credit to you, as the 3 most important things are ;
    Preparation
    Preparation
    and
    Preparation......no matter how good the car's design.

For those who don't know, Tim's car was on the pole at Long Beach in it's first race, 1984.

Mike McHugh

Thread Information