Liked: 9

Default VIR Double National Report

As of Saturday, the grid for Race one is set. The events leading up to it were. . . eventful to say the least. Some events were/are more serious than others.

On a serious note, Jay Green was injured push starting Paul Schneider's car. He fell an hit his head on the ground. What started off as a bump/cut on the head has turned out to be more serious. The last report I heard was that he in Roanoke Hospital resting and doing well. He had some bleeding which caused the docs a great deal of concern. Everyone (spare no one) is concerned about him and is pulling for a speedy recovery. Jay is a great guy who always has and will go out of the way for everyone. Get well soon Jay.

Nick Evans (Jay's driver) has been in another league. After overcooking the car in the practice session and damaging his nosecone and front wing; he came back in qualifying to absolutely blister the track. His 1:54.2 puts him about 2 seconds under the track record. Yes, that's right; 2 seconds.

Rounding out the top three are Kerry Jacobsen at a 1:55.29 and then Jonathan Bennett at 1:55.49.

Steve Coates is 4th (1:56.20) and Paul Schneider (the season sensation) is 5th (1:56.48).

Everyone may be wondering what is up with Paul's qualifying. Give him a break. Botwanna "the great white hunter" Schneider got a little sidetracked in practice when Bambi came out of the woods looking for him. As I crested the climbing esses to see Botwanna highsided, I wondered what the heck he did. Turns out; Bambi ran into him and HIT HIM!! That's right kids. Tagged his car on the left rear. We all thought it was a really poor excuse by Botwanna. . . until we saw the video of it. No report on Bambi but Botwanna's car had to get fixed.

As for the rest of the field, there were plenty of exploratory events on VIR's gorgeous grounds which will now keep Enterprises in business for a while. As always, the FE community has banded together to help out where possible. Tilden Kinlaw had an off which sacrificed a nose and front wing to the racing gods. Andrew Cross had a really rough go of it. He had an off in session 1 of the practice day which banged up both ends of the car. I'm not sure how it happened but, I can attest to the "river" of oil that some lad laid down from Oak tree all the way to the pits. Least I forget, the river; directly on the racing line. My guess is that Andrew spun in it. I haven't been able to talk to him much as he has been absolutely thrashing (to literally 2 a.m.) to get the car back together. Ultimately he made it back out. Way to go Andrew!

It's a field of 12; another great turnout. Unfortunately, FE is grouped in a filed of 56 cars including FA, CSR, DSR, FB, FC, FM and S2. Too many cars with too great a speed differential. Complaints have been plentiful. There has been a fair amount of good sportsmanship. However, there has also been a fair amount of hand waiving as well. Keep your fingers crossed that cooler heads prevail in the sunny and absolutely beautiful Virginia weather here in Alton.

More to come later.

Liked: 0

Zambo you commented on everyone else but yourself. Whats up?
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Liked: 53

Alright guys, as promised, here's the video of the deer slaying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54D7...eature=channel

That was a scary ride! I got very lucky. However, it occured right after Jay tumbled while helping my dad push-start the car because the starter took a crap. I put it in second gear and they got the car rolling pretty good. It fired up and took off. I heard a thud on the right side of the car and saw Jay rolling on the ground in my mirror. I went about 20 feet and stopped, but I was already at pit-out and had no choice but to continue. I asked my dad on the radio if Jay was OK, but I didn't understand what he said back. So now my heart is beating really fast because I could tell that Jay was really hurt. I was going to come right back in. Well, as I was entering the uphill esses, Bambi decided she was going to cross the track. I tell you what, that was nature getting back at me for continuing back out onto the track. Those were the WORST 5 minutes of my life!! I really hope Jay has a fast and full recovery. I feel extremely bad for what happened. Those incidents messed me up for the rest of the weekend. Racing was difficult!

Anyway, great job to Nick and Jay Motorsports! Nick ran an incredible race weekend.
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

Liked: 447

WOW. You're one lucky guy Paul. Buy a lotto ticket. Get well soon Jay!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 111

First, Jay get well. I continue to think of parts I need!

Second, that video is amazing. You need to do a slo-mo of that section as the deer just appears out of nowhere. Scary stuff.

Liked: 59

Default More FE Carnage

Well, Zambo needs to report on Sunday as I missed most of the race...all but turns one and two on the first lap. Sean Maisey has a little bit on the FB report regarding my incident. It was awfully crowded, and the field got very strung out at the back half on the start after coming nearly to a stop on the back straight. There were some folks running up right quick onto the cars going into T1. I had a pretty good run myself, but didn't hit anyone. My understanding from drivers behind me is that someone punted the FM that got a wheel in front of my right rear. Below is a link to my in-car video (kudos to ChaseCam!!) showing what we counted in slo-mo as 4 barrel-rolls. Would love to see video from behind - I don't want to blame anybody (S*** happens) - would just love to see what destroying my $35K "old shoe" looks like from the outside.

I really want to thank all of my friends, fellow competitors, and just generally nice folks from around the track that loaded up all of my mess (and for some ungodly reason turned over the keys to my rig to Tilden Kinlaw) and got it all on its way East, while I was sitting at the hospital with my thumb up my butt waiting for release. And a big thanks to the corner workers and EMTs that got me out of the car, kept me from wandering onto the track, and did their best to help me remember my name - and to not call my wife by the wrong one!!

Here's the link - it repeats the crash sequence for some reason - I'm new at this video posting is probably why, but it might have something to do with that "nature f-ing with you" that Paul was talking about!

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M7gY...e=channel_page

If you hit the little "HQ" button at the bottom right, it sharpens the resolution a good bit.
    I will buy a car or a LOT of parts and see you all again soon.

Best regards,
    Eric
    Last edited by Eric Cruz; 04.20.09 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Try to fix link...
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 309

Wow...glad to see you're okay, Eric!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Glad to hear your alright Eric. How many stars did you see>?
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Wow. Glad to see you're ok Eric! Is the car a total write off or is it salvageable?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Eric, I was relieved to find out you were ok- that video is incredible...

Your car was one of my favorites this weekend, absolutely gorgeous. Always horrible to see a ride thrashed like that, but luckily you are ok.

Here are some pictures I took of the car before the incident:

as for anyone who didn't get to see the car afterwards- this is what it looked like. Notice that the roll bar/camera are untouched....that just shows you how vicious the barrel roll was. Incredible

Rough weekend for you guys.. Glad everyone is ok!! Hope Jay has a speedy recovery.
    Erin

Thanks everyone for your concern and good wishes. It really made me realize how many good friends I do have, and how fortunate I am in that regard.

I might have seen stars, Matthew, but since memory was an issue at that time, I can't say for sure. I remember calling in on the radio that I'd rolled at least 3 times, but was OK and getting out of the car. You can actually hear some of that on the video clip once the cars are past. I remember giving the thumbs up to the F&C guy, and then things get a little cloudy (kinda like waking up Sunday afternoon in Blacksburg trying to remember who you saw at what frat house, and what her name is over there....) until I was at the hospital.

I don't know how much is salvageable, Keith. I heard John Hagerman looked at it and the frame was OK. Maybe not much else! It'll have to sit in the trailer for a couple weeks til I'm back from Guam, and then I'll know. May just try to buy another car, and use some of both for spares. Erik Skirmants called and he has promised to help me figure out the best solution with the least adddition of money. It'll just be a bit before I'll have a chance to do a proper assessment.

Great pictures, Dennis! Thanks for posting those and for the kind words. I'll shoot the new bodywork in the same color, and probably keep the same theme. I got a little sticker sprawl on that one (happens when your friend has a vinyl cutter!) so at least I'll have a clean canvas to work with...

Best regards,
    Eric
    Last edited by Eric Cruz; 04.20.09 at 2:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank Dennis!
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 1

Tough weekend at VIR guys! I'm glad everyone came out in one piece.

scott

Glad everybody is alright. Is there an update on Jay?

Eric, I hope your car gets better soon. WOW.

Liked: 111

Eric I have not met you yet, but I am sure I will see you out this summer. That is the worst kind of hit. Unexpected hurts.

I hope things come together soon.

jim

Liked: 11

Wow Eric, that hurts just watching! Hope you get everything back together soon.
    Sorry I missed the fun this weekend- got sick Tuesday night and decided it was bad enough to abort the weekend. I'll start my season at Summit, where I'm sure Keith will be doing his rain dance to keep the track record.

From the times at VIR it looks like the track was incredible and so was the driving. Besides the screaming times in FE, I saw a lot of times in other classes a second or more quicker than normal.

Justin

Liked: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_H View Post
    From the times at VIR it looks like the track was incredible and so was the driving. Besides the screaming times in FE, I saw a lot of times in other classes a second or more quicker than normal.

Justin
    They milled some corners and told of 3-6 sec improvements during the drivers meeting.

Eric, if I had any feelings of self pitty this weekend, you totally eliminated them. Glad you're doing ok.
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Eric, I'm glad to hear that you're OK after that wild ride ! That is the worst wrecked FE I've ever seen . Ironically, the previously most wrecked FE I had ever seen was Andrew's car on Thursday . Our little FE's had one hell of a weekend . 4 were wrecked and mine was barely spared. The deer, however, is a different story .

Also, I tried telling Cricket Harvey (Chief Steward) on Thrusday night that something needed to be done about the size of our group. He said that the GCR wouldn't allow him to move us or any other formula cars to group 1 with FV, FF, and F500. I told him that the FC's were grouped with those classes at Road Atlanta and he said "we ain't at Road Atlanta." I also told him there's potential for major problems for the weekend based on the black flags from the test day. He said there are potential problems for any group and to use my mirrors because that's what they're there for. He did mention that for the Road Atlanta race, an approval was given ahead of time from Topeka for FC to be grouped where they were. However, the entry list was up for weeks prior to the VIR event and the numbers for our group were HUGE leading up to the event. Also, a petition was passed around on Friday morning with different scenerios suggesting how to decrease the size of our group. That resulted in the SOM's coming up with the 12-cars-at-a-time thing for Saturday's qualifier which was ridiculous! How did that help to create better track conditions?? Bottom line is, somebody dropped the ball and created a dangerous situation for us racers. In my opinion, this was the most poorly run national race I've ever been a part of. I hope the people that make event schedules are aware that the FE class is growing and is adding many more cars to the wings-and-things group. Anyway, I'm done ranting. I normally don't do that, but I had a very frustrating weekend with all that I was involved in. I'm sure I'll hear back from the other side, but my opinions reflect the MAJORITY of our run group.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Jay is doing fine and hope to see him at the track soon. Also, I hope Eric gets things sorted out and is back on track shortly. Road Atlanta at the end of May??

Just talked to Jay this morning.. He's at home and starting to feel better.
    Erin

Liked: 42

Paul

NCR combined all open wheel and sports racers into one group, part way through the weekend, at their last regional in march. With that being the case I just can't see the reason he gave, needing prior approval, as valid.

Jez, haven't been on Apex in a few days and just read this - really glad you're ok Eric.
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schneider View Post
    Also, I tried telling Cricket Harvey (Chief Steward) on Thrusday night that something needed to be done about the size of our group. He said that the GCR wouldn't allow him to move us or any other formula cars to group 1 with FV, FF, and F500. I told him that the FC's were grouped with those classes at Road Atlanta and he said "we ain't at Road Atlanta." I also told him there's potential for major problems for the weekend based on the black flags from the test day. He said there are potential problems for any group and to use my mirrors because that's what they're there for. He did mention that for the Road Atlanta race, an approval was given ahead of time from Topeka for FC to be grouped where they were. However, the entry list was up for weeks prior to the VIR event and the numbers for our group were HUGE leading up to the event. Also, a petition was passed around on Friday morning with different scenerios suggesting how to decrease the size of our group. That resulted in the SOM's coming up with the 12-cars-at-a-time thing for Saturday's qualifier which was ridiculous! How did that help to create better track conditions?? Bottom line is, somebody dropped the ball and created a dangerous situation for us racers.
    Thanks again for all the good wishes, guys. I really don't like to bash the officials - at least not in a public forum but I do not understand why they felt it was safer to have on the order of 60 cars start in a group, with only about 15 in the FF/FV group. The GCR does NOT prohibit grouping ("preferable" is not mandatory or directive) any of the classes that were in Groups 1 and 4 last weekend - the only "SHALL NOT" is putting formula cars in with anything other than sports racers.

3.5.2. Combining Classes into Race Groups
    A. Any Formula class may be combined with Sports Racing cars.
    B. Whenever possible it is preferable to combine Sports Racing cars with appropriate Formula classes than with Production or GT cars.
    C. Whenever possible it is preferable to not combine FA, FM, FC with FV and/or F500. FV may be combined with F500.
    D. SRF may be combined with H Production and GT-Lite.
    E. Formula cars shall not be combined with cars from any other category except Sports Racing. This does not apply to race groups consisting of solely Vintage/Historic cars.
    F. Whenever possible it is preferable to not combine GT1, AS, T1, T2, T3 classes with DSR, CSR, SRF, S2000, FP, HP, GT-Lite.

I signed the petition as well, with the thought that running with slower Formua cars was still far safer than running in this crowded group. I think I'm as good with my mirrors as the next guy, but watch the video again and tell me how that would've helped! That's just a crass remark from someone that either doesn't get it, or doesn't care. I think that the problem on the Sunday start was that the large group did not maintain a tight start formation in any sense. I edited the video for YouTube, but in the full version, I had to come to almost a complete stop at the top of the rise on the back straight. It appeared the field was trying to split into rows at this point, then suddenly there was open space in front of me (think crowded interstate traffic jam). I was full-tilt through the Rollercoaster and Hogpen to try and close up, just getting on the brakes well after pit in to join the field when the green flew (on my radio, of course). I was back in the throttle with a lot of momentum. The guys behind me had even more since they never had to slow. It ended up with a lot of cars that had a full run through Hogpen flying in to T1 full of cars that didn't have that kind of run. Something bad was almost guaranteed to happen. I don't suppose I will ever understand why a green was thrown on that mess and it was not waved off.

Stuff happens in racing, especially on starts, but why not minimize the probability?

I have arranged to purchase another chassis, so when I'm back in country next month, we'll get a car back together, and I hope to see you all at the track this summer.

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 202

I posted this on the Mid-Ohio thread, but I think it bears repeating here (particulary since we ARE at Road Atlanta):

For a number of years we had the traditional F5/FF/FV & "Wings" groups. At our March 2006 event that arrangement ended up with 60+ cars in the Wings group and maybe 15 or so in the "Small" group, so we started moving things around.

In June 2006 we tried moving DSR into the Small group (which the DSR guys had asked for in March) and that was a disaster. The DSR leader got into the third place FV and took both cars out. After that we decided we'd only put open-wheeled cars with the Vees.

In March 2007 we moved FE into the Small group and that worked "okay", but it left FC and FM together in the Wings group and we all know they don't play well together. In June 2007 we moved FC to the Small group (now F5/FC/FE/FF/FV) and that worked okay but the FC and FE guys were running too close together.

For both events in 2008 we used the F5/FC/FF/FV combination and it worked out pretty well. In March this year we added S2000 (3 cars) to that group, everyone seemed to play well together, and the group sizes are more equal than they've ever been.

You could make a case for splitting the CSR/DSR guys into their own group, but then the Tx/AS/SSx guys could make a similar (numbers, size and speed differential) case for getting their own group away from the assorted riff-raff they currently race with. We're always looking for ways to improve the racing experience, but what we're doing now (at least at Road Atlanta) seems to be a pretty workable compromise for all involved.

I don't know Cricket Harvey, so I won't begin to try and explain his thought process in refusing to change the groups at VIR. However if he really did offer, "We ain't at Road Atlanta" as a reason to deny the request, I find that scary.

YMMV...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Butch, you're the only one that I know of that is aware of the clogging going on in the "wings and things" group. I have noticed and really appreciate your efforts !! I wish other organizers were like you.

To add to the VIR fiasco...at registration, I asked if there was awareness of the large group and if there was any thought of doing something about it. I was told that people were aware and that Cricket was going to do something about it. So, as you can imagine, I was shocked when I spoke with him and heard what he had to say. It was as if he didn't want to deal with problem at all. He barely looked me in the eyes and kept his hands in his pockets. He also mentioned how he had already lost an hour in the schedule as it was. I don't know how you can even start the weekend like that??? The initial schedule had the hardship warmup on Saturday morning as a QUALIFIER! Who comes up with something like that?? Two sessions; open- and closed-wheel as 15 minute qualifers. Can you imagine what that would have been like?

The stewards can and will blame the drivers for the black flags and full-course cautions that occured. I believe, from a driver's aspect, that we were ALL desperate to turn quick laps in heavy traffic and took risks that we otherwise wouldn't have if the group had been smaller. The black flag in Friday's practice may not have happened had there been less cars. I know I'm playing the "what if" game, but I believe the conditions we were put in led to many of the problems. It's just sad that we, the drivers, were completely ignored. Afterall, we're the ones on the track. We're the "experts" to the conditions. I tried telling the one guy that could have helped make for a fun racing experience. Too bad I got some BS blown up my ass .

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default VIR has been

pretty sketchy on the officiating in virtually all of the races i have been to:

I'm not sure who was running the show there a few years back ('04?) when we were all brought in on a blk flag all, maybe a red - I think a driver crashed and his foot got mangled up. Long wait esued
    Anyway we had about half the race left. Waited and waited, was finally told by an official that we would get the remaining laps.
    While in 2nd, with 7 or 8 to go, on the leader and waiting for the last lap (pass), we come onto the front straight to see a checker being thrown...

Or, The Infamous Restart of '03 that saw the pace car pull in, and the green thrown at the tower only after the first 5 cars had gone under/by. Somehow they came to the conclusion that all was good because the double yellows were pulled down in T1!!

Has the regime (I'm bad...) up there been the same this whole time?

If so, all I know is, in my job, if I sucked that bad, I'd be asked to go away.

GC

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    For both events in 2008 we used the F5/FC/FF/FV combination and it worked out pretty well. In March this year we added S2000 (3 cars) to that group, everyone seemed to play well together, and the group sizes are more equal than they've ever been.
    I like this grouping. I haven't run that before but as someone coming out of F5 I think it would work very well. Much better than 50+ in a group methinks.

Default I was The Guy

Eric, I was the F&C guy you gave the to, and certainly am glad to have found a forum I can see you write and say you are ok.. I also hope the crew member is doing better who had the fall on pit road... I've been doing what I do for almost 30 years now and have seen a lot, as well as sat in a FV for almost 20 of those same years. Your rollover was one of those we witness that came out of the pack in an unexpected way, and was very violent to say the least. You did a great job of letting me know you were initially ok, and you did an even better job of understanding I wanted you to "hang with me" crossing the track together. The EV folks were fast and excellent also, we had a very clean baton pass between us.. Initially I knew you seemed ok, but was not surprised to hear at the end of my day you had been transported.. I had a similiar rollover in a Vee in 1983 at Sebring and I know how those things can catch up after the initial impact.

You had a beautiful ride and I look forward to seeing it again soon. I am also not surprised in reading how you write, you seem to be the stand up guy a fellow worker who knows you talked to me about at the end of our day.

I wish you the very best in getting back in the seat, and to be honest I hope we don't meet in the same way down the road, but let's tip a cold one together at a future social..

Best regards,
    Chuck

Hi Chuck,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I felt badly that I did not come back to the track after visiting with the nice folks at the hospital - I would like to have been able to say thank you personally then. Many friends and concerned folks had loaded my stuff up, and my rig was waiting to meet us in South Boston, so we just stayed on US-58.

You were the guy I needed at that moment, and I will always be thankful that you were capable of doing the job so well. Should've known you are a Formula Car guy!! There's a reason I left the "extraction" in the video when I edited for YouTube - I wanted people to see how quickly you were there, and how efficiently you got me out of there to safety. Just ask my wife - it is the safety gear and the SCCA corner workers that give her the confidence at the track that I will come home to her that night.

I think you've been seen by several thousand folks in that video - you get all the "face time" - all I get to show is my helmet and my a$$. I will edit the captioning to identify you now that I know who you are, if that's OK.

We ALWAYS have cold ones. And you will be forever entitled to share them with us. Needless to say, I won't make the SARRC/MARRS as planned, since I don't get home from Guam until May 4th - I'll probably be making the run to Florida for my "new" chassis instead. But, I'll be out to the track soon after, and I will find you and force you to imbibe!!

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

Eric, I hope your new ride is every bit as good as your former for you. I am looking forward to seeing you out again real soon, wish it could have been up to SARRC/MARRS but next time. The track photographer seems to have captured your antics with a series of shots you may, or may not want to see.. Art had come back across track after a couple of sessions and he had shown some of these to us. Looking forward to tipping a couple, stay safe.. http://www.fandsenterprises.com/Gall...ce4/index.html

Thanks, Chuck! I just heard that you had posted that. Guess I didn't get online so much in Guam this time - more diving, less sitting in the room! Fantastic photos - what I have been looking for! I just ordered the CD...maybe I'll have them print a series to hang around the walls of my shop in sequence....

I will get the old pile of parts out of the trailer this weekend, and arrange to head for Florida for the new car very soon. Hope to be running again by the Sprints. Lots of work, and I'm not cutting any corners, so we'll see....but I'll see you at VIR before the year is out!

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

Wow!! That series of photos captured almost makes the accident seem worth it. At least you'll have that out of this whole mess.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Hey Keith,
    It's funny you said that...I have been trying to look for the positive in all this. Of course the support from my friends and all of the people involved and the ApexSpeed community has been unparalleled, but I thought it was rather miraculous that the Chase Cam got the whole in car thing. Then, the track photographer was right outside T1 and was able to capture the whole thing from the outside.

I can't begin to tell you how many hot women I have been able to impress with tales of my prowess in piloting open wheel cars while they are rotating violently about their roll axis...the cars - not the women

So - I get a great deal on the perfect car with a blown motor, I find out how many friends I really do have, I get my 15 minutes of fame, and I'll bring the hot women that think formula guys are the cat's ass to the next FE party! Now when you look at it that way, it really is worth it. Hey, it's YOUR tax dollars at work....

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

Default My pleasure

It was my sincere pleasure to have met Eric and his beautiful wife Jill this past weekend at VIR. These folks, as well as his surrounding friends, are certainly excellent quality examples of the best in our SCCA family. Thanks for looking me up, I enjoyed sharing the laughs and the time we had at the Tavern.... You folks are tops and look forward to seeing you at future events, and also a sincere thanks for the collage and autograph... A frame s ordered and on the way....

Regards,
    Chuck

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Default DSR writeup

http://www.westracecars.com/west/news.html (2nd item from the top, currently). interesting writeup describing the officiating. pretty embarassing to SCCA IMHO.

Thread Information