Liked: 1

Phil,
    These are encouraging numbers. Are numbers from the regional level compiled? I run in the MARRS series and we averaged 7.4 FC cars over the season. Three of our events were combined with CCR and Glen races each having an overall higher FC count, inclusive of non-MARRS competitors. FF averaged 2.7 cars per event. FM was a non-factor with only an occasional car running. FV averaged 13.5 cars per event.
    Barry Haynie
    FC #9 WDCR

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

In addition, Club Ford is counted separately in the MARRS series. For the 9 races, there were an average of 3.9 CF entries per race.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 0

Originally posted by Barry Haynie:
    Phil,
    These are encouraging numbers. Are numbers from the regional level compiled? I run in the MARRS series and we averaged 7.4 FC cars over the season. Three of our events were combined with CCR and Glen races each having an overall higher FC count, inclusive of non-MARRS competitors. FF averaged 2.7 cars per event. FM was a non-factor with only an occasional car running. FV averaged 13.5 cars per event.
    I have raw Nation wide numbers for Regionals (can't subdivide what I have):
    FC 4.82 (104 races, amazingly the 3rd most popular "National class" in Regionals...lesson learned National classes are not strong at Regionals, in fact the top 10 classes Nationwid eonly include 3 GCR classes the rest are classes run locally with high local participation).
    FV was 8.81 (102 races)
    FF was 4.72 (102 races)
    FM was 4.39 (87 races)
    FA was 2.97 (76 races)
    F500 was 2.69 (85 races)

SFF (???) was 17.50 (4 races)
    CFF 3.15 (80 races)
    CFC 2.56 (63 races)

I can't answer much about the details, but for the first time we have almost all of the data to know what is actually going on out there. The Staff is dedicated to getting the data, but it's like pulling teeth to get it from some events.
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Average # per event
    Cen div 11.9
    mw div 4.4
    ne div 15.44
    norpac div 1.12
    rm div 8.33
    sopac div 9.2
    se div 8.7
    sw div 11.67
    All Divisions Average 8.85
    Top 5 Divisions Average 11.36
    For a class that is supposedly in trouble its actually a little ahead of last year. It also has 30% more entries than FM (7.93). The only classes with more participation at National Level are FV (14.02) and SRF (25.35)Even FF has 7.76.
    These are all top 5 division averages which is what determines the official number for the SCCA.

Liked: 3787

I find the drop in FM to be interesting. We have written about engine refresh costs being a possible detriment in FC participation, yet there is FM with an engine that lasts for years and their numbers are dropping. Go figure.

Could it be that the FM cars just are not sexy enough? Did FM drivers that might have liked the robust powerplants of FM, jump to FSCCA thinking they would be moving into the lastest iteration?

Or... did a lot of the serious FM pilots jump to the new Pro Mazda, leaving the older model cars to trickle down into regional racing?

The tinkers/tuners in FC really don't have a new tinker/tuner class to migrate to, so our numbers are holding (or even growing).

I have held to the theory the past few years that when cars drop down around $15K, there is a population of folks that then can afford to buy the car, but find out they can't afford to drive it much. So the cars become garage queens. Maybe that is what is starting to happen to FM?

All speculation on my part.

When the club as a whole can capture all the regional statistics, then we will become wiser.

Liked: 447

I like to think that our site has something to do with those numbers. The exchange of info and sales of cars here has greatly increased from prior years in order to help promote FC. New potential owners coming into club racing are faced with a couple of decisions initially (Fendered VS Formula, Wings VS Wingless) that help to direct them to us. Once they decide that they want to go winged formula racing, their choice is FM, FC, or FSCCA (still the newbie). Out of those three the cost to performance ratio for entry level(no rebuilds to worry about) has FC being the winner hands down not to mention the pudgy look and out dated technology the old FMs have. From that point they stay in FC once they find out that's where all the cool kids hang out.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Thread Information