Liked: 447

Default Blackhawk Farms National #1 - May 2

So far we have 4 entered. Any others planning on going? I'm thinking at least Marklein should also be showing.

Steve Stadel Red/White 2007 Van Diemen FSCCA Global Emergency ProductsTEMCO Inc
    Keith Carter Black 2003 Van Diemen FSCCA ApexSpeed.com/CarterMachine.net
    Marshall Mauney Black/Yellow 2003 Van Diemen FSCCA One Formula Racing
    Dean Oppermann Red 2003 Van Diemen FE FSCCA Maxxforce International Diesel Power
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Entry deadline to avoid late fees is tomorrow (Sunday, the 26th). Anyone else making it out?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 0

Looks like everyone is waiting for the 7 day forecast.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Liked: 68

The weather looks pretty inconclusive right now, alternating between clear and showers. It's going to be md-to-high 60s, though, so it should be a pretty decent weekend....

I think online registration closed a few days ago, so we may not be seeing everyone who is planning to be there....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    I think online registration closed a few days ago, so we may not be seeing everyone who is planning to be there....
    According to the supps, today is the last day to avoid a late fee and I think DLB said that they will close online registration on the 30th but I can't be positive with that since they were doing modifications to the new website. Get them in!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 218

Carl Przyborowski is coming. Possibly one of the Freibergs as well, Eric or Brian. I'm pretty sure Denny Marklein will be there.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    Carl Przyborowski is coming. Possibly one of the Freibergs as well, Eric or Brian. I'm pretty sure Denny Marklein will be there.
    BTW, what happened to Marklein at St Louis? I know he spun going onto the oval, but does anyone know what went wrong with his car that he couldn't get restarted?
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Awesome! So we'll be looking at at least 7 cars...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    BTW, what happened to Marklein at St Louis? I know he spun going onto the oval, but does anyone know what went wrong with his car that he couldn't get restarted?

He was tapped from behind by an FC, car stalled and would not restart do to insufficient electrons in storage container.
    Dave

Liked: 33

Looking forward to you guys racing this weekend, first national of the year!

I just wanted to remind you all about the sound limits at blackhawk, which I think is 102dB. We had a FE at the drivers school/regional and was getting sound board numerous times over the weekend. Don't want to see this happen to any of you...though I think sound limits are stupid but it has to be done.

Readings will be done at the silo after turn 6 like always. A new change is that black flag/mechanical/sound board will now be done at turn 6 instead of 6A.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

How loud was he Chris?
    Dave

It's amusing when a spec car doesn't pass the rules for the tracks we race at.

It all really depends on which way the wind is blowing at T6... I'll have to see if we still have one of those whistle tips that Bub Rubb talks about for our exhaust. Whoo whooo!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    It's amusing when a spec car that SCCA sells doesn't pass their own rules.

It all really depends on which way the wind is blowing at T6... I'll have to see if we still have one of those whistle tips that Bub Rubb talks about for our exhaust. Whoo whooo!

We'll see how amused you are when you get that KC. NOT!! Been there, done that, way too many times , especially at RA which DOES NOT have a track limit. The supps just impose one.
    Dave

I have had the knurled black waved several times in the FC. There was one time when everyone was getting the black waved at them only to find that the distance measurement of the sound level mic was measured from the center of the track and not the edge. Ooops!

BTW: Are you guys heading out to Blackhawk this weekend Dave?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Nevermind, I just checked the entry list again. Yay!!! We have 6 now! It looks like if you don't have a red or a black car in our class, you're an outcast.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

I have to correct my sound limit statement. It's a GCR thing. Even more !
    Dave

I plan on breaking the sound barrier out of T6 and then the ensuing sonic boom destroying the sound monitoring equipment.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Default muffler

out here in cal. we have never past sound from day 1 . we have always run a wave tech super trap muffler behind the spec muffler . we have tried many stand alone mufflers unsuccessfully at laguna seca ... The only thing that seems to work inexpensively is this set up with 20 plate and a elbow pointing away from the sound meter .. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jjstecher View Post
    I plan on breaking the sound barrier out of T6 and then the ensuing sonic boom destroying the sound monitoring equipment.
    I smell a Stohr in the weeds.
    Dave

someone just give me a golf cart or something like a baseball bat and I will just go out there at lunch and destroy it. Sadly the thing is there are people who measure the levels outside the track. A couple moved near the track during the winter, and didn't know. I am sorry people do research before you buy a freaking house, and if there is a race track there or airport...deal with it or don't live there I hate that crap.

Great race! Now I just gotta figure out how you pass someone in these $%^&*($# cars.... They're so stinkin' equal it's infuriating!

Thoughts and prayers go out to Ron Valine, the driver injured in the incident during group 6 qualifying on Saturday. Let's hope for a speedy recovery.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 1417

Keith made them look thoroughly unequal this afternoon. Awesome drive coming from dead last in the field to 3rd overall and almost 2nd. Spectacular fun to watch. Nice run for Eric Fienberg, too. Looking forward to seeing some real madness in the coming months with Keith and Eric dicing it out. They were dead even, too bad there were 18 cars between them at the start—would have been a thrill, for sure!

Everyone at the ApexSpeed family is wishing for the best for Ron and his family. Something like that happens, and it rattles everyone. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Our thoughts are with Ron and his family. For those who didn't know, Ron was apparently struck in the head by a low flying turkey while qualifying and then drove off track to make contact with a guard rail. He was medevac'd out of the track to the hospital.

As for the race, I had an absolute blast. After completely missing qualifying, I needed to get permission from the steward to start the race. Everyone on the track staff was very helpful and was quick to respond with assisting me even with all that was going on. I was also very pleased with running with the Formula Fords. Everyone watched their mirrors and it made for a very clean race (not too many yellows that I saw). The differential in speeds between the classes made for quick overtaking and didn't disturb anyone's racing within their own class. I'm not sure about any of the other guys (FE or FF), but I liked the grouping. Dennis Marklein and I were having a great race there for the last few laps. Congrats to Eric Freiberg on his dominating win. He had 20 seconds on the rest of the field at the checkered.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

MyLaps results are already up. Wow, that was fast!!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 1432

I too liked the grouping, coming from an FF kid. Smaller car counts and a better mix all around. Took a little getting used to being the slower car on the track, used to being with FV's.

Best goes out to Ron, luckily I broke a shift finger in qual and was out when it happened. Best-

-oh yeah, I really liked that all the FF cars were together for the start. Usually there are some F500's in the mix so it takes more time to get to the next FF.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 05.04.09 at 1:52 PM.

It was a great race. The races really great, all the FE's together was fantastic plus Keith just going through the field like a man possessed. Thoughts go out to Ron and his family. I will comment later about Saturday, when I can process it more. All I know is that all drivers behaved greatly and were fantastic following the Red Flag.
    Last edited by TrackBrat; 05.04.09 at 11:30 PM.

Thread Information