Liked: 190

Default The 2009 US Formula First Regional Championship Series

The 2009 US Formula First
    Regional Championship Series

As Formula First goes into its 5th year of racing as an SCCA sanctioned racing series and our first year as an SCCA GCR class, the Formula First Drivers Association is please to announce a ten race, three division SCCA Regional racing series with a “winner take all” non-point bonus race at the second annual Formula First US Grand Prix held in conjunction with the ARRC at Road Atlanta. The purpose of the series and bonus race will be to encourage the broad based support for SCCA Regional entry level open wheel racing while expanding interest and promotion of Formula First.

In order to be eligible for The 2009 US Formula First Regional Championship Series points and contingencies, drivers must be members of the Formula First Drivers Association to officially participate in the series. Those who are not members of the Formula First Drivers Association can join by e-mailing fst@rochester.rr.com.

Series trophies will be presented to the top three series finishers. In addition there will be a rookie of the year trophy awarded to the highest placing first year driver. The series award ceremony will take place at the US Formula First Grand Prix - ARRC at Road Atlanta.

The 2009 US Formula First Regional Championship Series
    Official race dates:

May 23 & 24 Grattan (GL Div)

June 27 & 28 Nelson Ledges (NE Div)

July 11 & 12 Blackhawk Farms (Cen Div)

August 22 & 23 Milwaukee Mile (Cen Div)

September 5 & 6 Blue Grass (FRCCA - Trans Am Weekend)

These series dates are SCCA sanctioned double Regional events

listed in NE Div, GL Div and CenDiv

Our ’09 bonus event

US Formula First Grand Prix - ARRC

November 6 & 7 Road Atlanta (SE Div)

Series sponsors:

Hoosier Tire
    (Official Spec Tire of the Series)

Will provide (1) free tire to the winner of each series event, (1) free tire to the second place finisher of each series event and (1) free tire given to a random drawn event entrant finishing between third and the last finishing position. In addition, Hoosier will award a set of (4) tires at season end to the series “hard luck” driver. The award is given to the driver with a minimum of 5 series race starts and the lowest accumulation of series points. The Hoosier tire contingency sign up is mandatory for eligibility and can be found here: www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm “click” on contingency and scroll down to the Formula First Contingency Program

RaceCarSupply.com / SRacing

Will award the winner of each series event a $100 credit towards
    products and/or services giving a total value of $1000
    www.sracing.com

Aurora Bearing

Has supplied $500 worth of product (rod ends) that will be given to series
    competitors via random drawing at each event weekend (5 times)
    www.aurorabearing.com

Safe Quip

Has provided $300 worth of product discounts to given to series
    competitors via random drawing at each event weekend (5 times)
    www.tracksidetim.com

P&NP Computer Systems

Will provide hospitality at various series events to all competitors,
    friends and guests to boost the “fun factor” in our racing series.
    www.pnpcomputer.com

Campbell Motorsport

Constructor of the Evolution Formula First, will be awarding the winner
    of the series a $2000 discount on a new Evolution Formula First
    constructors kit. This award will be transferable.
    www.evolutionfst.com

Technical Tool Solutions, Inc.

Will be providing the top three series points finishers
    as well as the “rookie of the year”trophies
    www.techtoolsolutions.com

Points score:

Race Entry: 1 point

Pole Position: 1 point

Fastest Lap: 1 point

Finish Position: 1st – 12 points

2nd – 9 points

3rd – 7 points

4th – 6 points

5th – 5 points

6th – 4 points

7th – 3 points

8th – 2 points

9th – 1 point

Points will be scored for the best 7 of 10 series races

Information Contact List and Formula First Drivers Association Committee:

Robert Guhde - fst@rochester.rr.com (585) 747-1421

Bill Bonow – bbonow@comcast.net (815) 715-3253

Jim Schings – sracing@mindspring.com (859) 252-2496

Aaron “Butch” Deer - butch_deer@mindspring.com (859) 963-8318

Dave Dawson – dd46637@comcast.net (574) 968-8722
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 03.27.09 at 7:44 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 5

This is just fantastic, especially in this economy. This will do wonders for the stature of Formula First throughout SCCA. I am looking forward to watching the ARRC race in November.

Jim

Thanks Jim

We even got a mention on the SCCA website http://www.scca.org/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3581

Jim,

We never did talk after the ARRC and your worry about FST being too slow. Greg Rice turned a 1:38.5 (pretty close to our forcasted quick time) and I'd bet that at the '09 ARRC we'll get into the 1:37 range. Did your opinion/ideas change after the weekend was over?
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 0

Default IMHO

Since FSt has disc brakes all-around, why not open up the restrictor some in order to improve high-end performance?

The dry sump allows for more reliable engines as well as the other things like aftermarket rods etc. so the reliability won't be affected by the increased output.

I would like to see FST times get down to CF time (1.35 or so at rd atl).

Liked: 5

Bill,
    My opinion changed a little BEORE the main race @ the ARRC so I understand now why the need is there for a restrictor plate. Like it was said by someone earlier in my old thread is that the cornering speeds will get better with improvements in the suspension. I watched the RA ARRC video carefully and it was most enjoyable.

Rick,
    Please see my thread on the FST forum way back in September (?) timeframe for all the discussion about getting more speed out of FST's. I believe that it will come as the fine tuning is done.

Jim

Default race car + more speed = money x 2

Rick,

Here is the thread that Jim is talking about http://first.formulavee.org/exchange....php?f=1&t=755
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by rickjohnson356 View Post
    Since FSt has disc brakes all-around, why not open up the restrictor some in order to improve high-end performance?

The dry sump allows for more reliable engines as well as the other things like aftermarket rods etc. so the reliability won't be affected by the increased output.

I would like to see FST times get down to CF time (1.35 or so at rd atl).
    Rick, I think you will see them close in a year or so..

The restrictor plate was a 3 function item...

1. With full carb CFM we will reach top end speeds quite a bit faster than an FV. Our intent was to be only 4 or 5 mph faster than a Vee. Our low end torque far out accelerates them, but the difference isn't as much at top speed. We don't have any "break away" components like most formula cars and not as much crush area. (a beam don't crush much ). So, I think the top speed is where we want them.

2. We don't have any gearing options like most formula classes. So without the restrictor we would be spending a lot more time at 7000+ RPM. The plate gives us better engine longevity.

3. It also levels the playing field a bit as far as induction goes. Without the restrictor you might see CFM variances of 10 or so. The restrictor cuts that down by as much as half.

We wanted close, cheap, racing. The formula works well. And none of the drivers are complaining about speed.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 0

Default OK, no prob

since I'm not ready to run yet (gotta build a car FST!) I won't try to escalate things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I guess it just is a fact of life, racers want more speed-- never can have too much HP. (JK)

This format will result in closer racing and bring driver skill to the forefront rather than big$$ motors etc.

Rick,

You nailed it. Racers want more. Always have, always will.

Somebody told me this a long time ago and it seems to work well for me.

"Ask for what you want, but take what you can get".
    Bill Bonow

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

As a new FV owner, it will be interesting to see how the two classes progress over the next few years. From my admittedly limited perspective, it looks like FST is what FV could/should have evolved into at some point instead of two separate classes. I do wish the rules still allowed a partial conversion. I'd be much more likely to make the jump straight to FST if it was as simple as swapping my FV engine and bolting front discs to my link pin beam.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    I do wish the rules still allowed a partial conversion. I'd be much more likely to make the jump straight to FST if it was as simple as swapping my FV engine and bolting front discs to my link pin beam.
    Matt,

If life could only be that simple.

During the time partial conversion was compliant, nobody ever did it. I think the main reason was that the list of parts required to keep some form of parity made minimal sense. Here was the official minimum conversion list we had specified:

* 13" wheels and spec tires
    * FST spec gearbox
    * FST spec engine
    * 1125lbs min weight (w/driver)

The cost on the above minimum conversion is about $6000 and the parts cost for complete conversion is about $7500 (using pro built components). It just didn't make sense to still have to deal with drum brakes, link/king pin beam and crappy steering box.
    Bill Bonow

Default Breaking News - FST to Support Trans Am weekend

The US Formula First Regional Championship Series announces a date change for the last series race of the season at Blue Grass Motorsport Park. The date will be moved one week ahead to September 5 & 6 as the US Formula First series will become part of the Trans-Am weekend. The event will be hosted by the FRCCA as they move for the first time from the Eastern US to the Midwest. The entry form for this event is posted right here http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...215#post207215

The Formula First Drivers Association Events Committee was unanimus in this decision and we are all looking towards an exciting and historical weekend.
    Bill Bonow

Thread Information