Liked: 115

Default "Lucky, Lucky, Lucky" - Sigourney Weaver in "Alien"

I recall this is what she said there at the end of that flick, and it's just the way I feel about the 1978 Zink Z10 that I am buying from Rex Gunning in Ohio. Rex built this car from the kit in 1978 - the way most Zinks were bought in those days. Since then it has only been out of his hands for 2 short years.

The car is immaculate and constantly developed and well driven by Rex over all these years. Joe Fisher estimates that Rex has won maybe 90 to 100 races in this car. As soon as the snow melts a bit, I'm on the way to Ohio to bring her home.

I'm a hopeless Zink lover from '74 when I bought Bobby Haynes C4 FV fresh from the '73 Runoffs. I've owned a bunch of Zink FV's - including the Z12 that George Fizell won 2 championships with. Even had a Z16 FF that I bought on EBay of all places in '06. Only one Z10 - the one I took to the Runoffs for 3 years and the same one that kept me alive and unhurt when I flew it under the bridge at Road Atlanta in '81. I've wanted one back ever since & never found one that got me going. This one sure did!

Rex, if you're reading this - you are the man! Can't wait to meet you and spend the day learning all about this fabulous car.

Lucky, lucky, lucky!

John Gaither
    Kernersville, NC
    Last edited by jgaither; 06.12.12 at 8:09 PM.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Congratulations

Glad this worked out - John you will not be disappointed. You can ask anyone in the midwest that has seen this car that the level of preparation is 2nd to none. The fact that 2 aircraft mechanics did most of the work on it is apparent in the level of detail and preparation. I hate to see Rex give it up but it's going to a good home. Good luck racing this car still has lots of wins in it!

Joe

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Z10

If there is ever a formula car hall of fame, the Z-10 will be in it! It's still fast enough to embarass a mediocre driver in a $60K car--especially on a tight course. I owned a Z-10 and definitely loved it!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 2

Default John...

...you know that you have thrown down the gauntlet. My Z10 WILL be at Road America in July and....
    and we'll have a blast.

Congrats. Wish Rex had decided to sell his 2 years ago.

See you at Rd. America.

Mike

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Well.....

So John, rumor has it that you picked it up last weekend so when's the first race? I saw it the weekend before and I've got to say that it looked the best I've ever seen it with the new paint, new header, etc.. Rex does great work and I think you will have one of the best looking Zinks at the 40th. Congratulations!

Joe

Liked: 115

Default Headed for VIR

First outing will be VIR SARRC/MARRS double in May. She's at Richard Morgan Racing in Concord waiting for a seat fitting. I can't even go to the garage at night and drool over her. Pretty cool when you can buy something sight unseen and have it turn out better than the pictures. What a car.

Lucky

Thread Information