Liked: 8

Default Test Day for the 40th?

I know that it's a few months away, but I wondered if the organizers and sponsoring region talked about the test day on Thursday?
    Do you think that the FF's will get there own group or will it be mixed as usual with all the wings and things?
    If it is just the fords, does it made sense to have each session gridded in the following manner.

1. National FF's with experience on the track

2. Regional & vintage cars with experience on the track.

3. National, regional and vintage drivers with no experience on the track.

This gives drivers with RA experience the opportunity to get out and not be held up by drivers (like myself) who are finding their way around for the 1st time.

Latecomers not parked at the 5, head out once the field is released.

The system would of course be voluntary and if a non-experienced driver felt the need to go out in the front of the pack then so be it.

What do the organizers and drivers think?

Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-02
    PHL SCCA

PS With a 100+ cars expected how will the subject of car numbers be handled?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Greg,
    The track is running the test day, there is no schedule as of yet.
    Given the number of FF/CF/VF it is reasonable to expect our own run group without FA/FB/FC/FE/Fetc but it is no one's call other than Road America.
    I don't think your proposal regarding gridding the practice sessions is workable, and with a 4 mile track everyone can sort themselves out relatively quickly, remember, it is a TEST day.
    The idea of gridding the test day sessions is just not anything anyone is interested in taking on.
    With 75-100 cars all arriving at about the same time the traffic jam from trying to arrange cars would not go over well with either the drivers or Road America.

Liked: 8

Default test day for the 40th

Hi Mike:
    I'd say you're probably right on all counts.
    Sometimes at this time of year my fertile imagination kicks in and I can't help putting ideas out in a forum like Apex.
    However it works out, I'm sure everyone will deal with it, myself included.
    Cheers,

Greg

Liked: 2

Default For what it's worth

I have had the opportunity to work with Mike Rand many times during our employment at Skip Barber Racing. Mike is very much committed to making things work. One thing he, and a lot of us, expect is for people to be where they need to be, when they need to be, early, if possible. With a 4 plus mile track, we won't getting lots of laps each session.

With 200 entrants, coordination of efforts will be difficult and probably frustrating at times. We, the entrants. need to give Mike and his group the best help we can offer to make this thing go smoothly.

The prime objective is to have a great time at the 40th. Honestly, I doubt if anyone will remember who wins what, ten years from now.

Sorry, Greg, looks like I hijacked your post to get on my soapbox. I guess I'm gettin' old, cause i seem to preach a lot more these days.

Best to all who have read this far.

Mike

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

It won't take you too long to find your way around Road America.

From start finish, go really fast to Turn 1, turn right down to the bottom of the hill, make another right. Put your foot to the floor for a really long time. Turn left. Go up the hill, make another left. Go straight for a bit, turn right, go down another hill, turn left. Go under the sign through the carousel. By the exit of the carousel, have your foot on the floor and don't lift until you turn right in Canada (that's a REALLY long time!). Go up past where the Mitchell Bridge used to be, jog left, then make a hard right, and drive up the hill.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 1

Default Thanks Matt

Cheers Matt. I have just cut and pasted the above. Tape it to the steering wheel and I am all set.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    From start finish, go really fast to Turn 1, turn right down to the bottom of the hill, make another right. Put your foot to the floor for a really long time. Turn left. Go up the hill, make another left. Go straight for a bit, turn right, go down another hill, turn left. Go under the sign through the carousel. By the exit of the carousel, have your foot on the floor and don't lift until you turn right in Canada (that's a REALLY long time!). Go up past where the Mitchell Bridge used to be, jog left, then make a hard right, and drive up the hill.

You forgot to 'pucker' at the kink !

And then later say to yourself, why'd I slow down so much for the corners, after getting passed on the straights !
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Thread Information