Thread: Annual tech?

Liked: 8

Default Annual tech?

Hey folks,

This will be the first year I'm running a car alone, and I've never taken a car to its first race...

Jim from SR Racing's post about their tech day got me thinking...... Do I just show up at my first race with the logbook, or do I need to do an annual tech or any prep work prior (paperwork prep work, that is... I'm doing the winter stuff - new hardware, valves, fluids, test day before, etc).

thanks,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 3787

Yes, you can show up at the track with car and logbook. But there may be a line... a lloonngg line. You might miss track time waiting in line for tech.

"Tech days" at convient shops can make the process easier. While you wait for tech, you can drink beer and bench race, and not miss track time. And, if something is aray, you fix it without the pressure at the track.

Liked: 32

I stopped by the tech area at a regional in my area & asked how they'd like to tech a car new to the area and had not been raced for 2 years - was told to bring it by during a race weekend and they'd be glad to tech it between sessions. That way if there are any issues I don't have to worry about any last minute work.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 553

Mike, was the car raced in SCCA recently? That might make a difference in how smoothly or traumatic an annual inspection might be. For instance, if the car was raced last year, in your region, then it will probably make it through tech without much trouble (assuming it has no problems). Otherwise, I would to try to get an annual tech before showing up at the track for your first race. Contact the tech guys in your area and see if they have suggestions for you. I've had the pleasure of having a tech guy come to my house pre-season. It's sad to think about the possibility of being turned away for a problem. Unlikely, but ...
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 13

Default Annual Tech

I have a similar situation. I am rebuilding a Swift that hasn't been raced since 2005 and a driver that hasn't raced SCCA since 1983. The car will be completely rebuilt by spring (I can't promise anything for the driver), but I don't want to show up and find out I have a problem. Does anyone know if there are any tech types in the Madison Wisconsin area?

Thanks for your help.

John Grooms

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post
    Hey folks,

This will be the first year I'm running a car alone, and I've never taken a car to its first race...
    As has been said, you can just show up at your first race and assuming you have an SCCA log book, wait in line and hope for the best. But some key words jump out of the quote above.... "ALONE" and "FIRST RACE".

If you don't have somebody with experience dealing with car prep and getting you "settled in" you're going to be plenty busy especially if this is your first race, ever. You don't need to be worrying about small things that take 15 or 20 minutes to 'fix' from some minor issue in tech. If it turns out to be a more serious thing, it could shut you down for the weekend. As mentioned above, it depends on how long since the car has been raced.

SCCA and most other clubs DO have a pre-season 'annual tech' session at some location in the region. In your situation, I'd certainly try to take advantage of it. Should be posted in their schedule or call the Chief of Tech for input. If they don't have a plan for mass annuals. the Chief may guide you to individuals who are authorized to do annuals in your area.

Once the annual is done, the whole 1st morning is much easier then dealing with tech on an every weekend basis (like we did last year).

Also, if the Hawke is ALL new, make friends with a paddock neighbor who can help get you settled into the cockpit and belts on.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by jgrooms View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any tech types in the Madison Wisconsin area?
    You could bring it out to the Milw. region annual tech day on April 5 in Brookfield:

http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 50

Mike, Looks like you are in Dayton? We are only a couple hours away and have all the items, tools, etc. you might need to get it through tech. So if you can make our date bring it on down... http://sracing.com/techday.htm
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Jim - that might be a good idea.... I'd also like to shake down any towing issues with the truck and trailer I've yet to purchase..

I'd also like to check out the alignment on the car - to see if I did it right... would that be an option?

thanks,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 50

Mike, we can align and corner weight, but not sure we would have time to do it on the TechDay. We will try, but I can't make any promises. We are usually pretty busy on our Tech and Dyno days. We can certainly advise you on set up at the least.

If you came down Friday we could do it. Stay at a cheap hotel and then come back Saturday for the Tech Day. We have a locked in area where you could keep the trailer for the night.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default I'm here

Hey Mike I'm just down the road North of Cincinnati so if I can be any assistance please let me know. The Cincinnati Region generally has a tech day in the spring but if you can get your car down to SR to be aligned/corner weighted and checked over I would recommend it. When you go to the race you need your log book to go to tech and if you have your helmet sticker and annual tech done you generally just need to bring your helmet to show them along with the tech sheet you will get at registration. They will then review you log book, look at your helmet/sticker and sign you off for the event. Make sure you read the supplemental rules that come with your race entry as sometimes the regions will call out a class to inspect and then you will need to bring your race gear (suit/helmet/gloves/nomex underwear), your car and your logbook to be inspected. Make sure if you go to the SR tech inspection you bring all of your race gear and the car, that way they can sign the car off and your gear for the year. PM me if you need me for anything. BTW what kind of car and class will you be running in this year?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info.

I'll be in club ford again - ran a Lola with a friend last year around Chicago... Picked up Tod's Hawke DL-12 for this year. It is race ready and complete, so hopefully no tech surprises.

Have you had any experience with Continental Motorsports in Cinci?

Cheers,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post
    Hey Mike I'm just down the road North of Cincinnati so if I can be any assistance please let me know. The Cincinnati Region generally has a tech day in the spring but if you can get your car down to SR to be aligned/corner weighted and checked over I would recommend it. When you go to the race you need your log book to go to tech and if you have your helmet sticker and annual tech done you generally just need to bring your helmet to show them along with the tech sheet you will get at registration. They will then review you log book, look at your helmet/sticker and sign you off for the event. Make sure you read the supplemental rules that come with your race entry as sometimes the regions will call out a class to inspect and then you will need to bring your race gear (suit/helmet/gloves/nomex underwear), your car and your logbook to be inspected. Make sure if you go to the SR tech inspection you bring all of your race gear and the car, that way they can sign the car off and your gear for the year. PM me if you need me for anything. BTW what kind of car and class will you be running in this year?

Joe
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 39

Default Indianapolis Region Tech Day...

...is March 21 at Performance Driven, 4444 Decatur Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46241 (tel 317-512-3208.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Continental

Yeah they have helped me a ton over the years with advice and parts/pieces. Jim and Jennie are great to work with. I know Jennie works up in Dayton so I'm sure if you need something she could get it to you. Their shop is in Mason so not far from you either. I'm heading over there tomorrow so let me know if you need anything.

Joe

Thread Information