Liked: 0

Wanted To Buy RF80 Bodywork and Spares

Looking to buy new or good repairable condtion bodywork or moulds for a Van Dieman RF80. We are also looking for suspension spares.

Thank You,
    John Thompson
    215-783-6603
    john@1800thompson.com

Liked: 23

I have a nose and its mold for a side radiator RF78-80.
    Neil Porter Racing in Calif has new updated bodywork avail. Shipping is $$, but if we buy three.....

Alan RF80
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Liked: 2

John-

Universal Racing Services (URS) in England has all of the suspension parts. There are several front upright, axle, hub combinations on these cars. Simon @ URS has been very helpful in figuring out what parts I have needed for my RF80. The prices aren't too bad (depending on the current exchange rate), but the shipping from England is high. Here is there address:

http://www.universalracing.co.uk/urs.htm

I have a front radiator RF80 and I ran into a guy at NJMP who said he made some spare noses for the previous owner of my car. Unfortunately, I don't have his contact info. You can try contacting Kevin Firlien (sp?) who is on this forum. I bought my car from his shop and he was also doing a rebuild on another RF80 at the time.

I am also in Doylestown area btw. Feel free to contact me if you need to look at anything on the car.

Ralph
    Ralph Kennedy
    1981 TIGA FF

Liked: 7

Default VDRF80

J-Guy

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I'd be in for a group buy if we could save on shipping.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Default URS

Quote Originally Posted by racingcpa View Post
    John-

Universal Racing Services (URS) in England has all of the suspension parts. There are several front upright, axle, hub combinations on these cars. Simon @ URS has been very helpful in figuring out what parts I have needed for my RF80. The prices aren't too bad (depending on the current exchange rate), but the shipping from England is high. Here is there address:

http://www.universalracing.co.uk/urs.htm

I have a front radiator RF80 and I ran into a guy at NJMP who said he made some spare noses for the previous owner of my car. Unfortunately, I don't have his contact info. You can try contacting Kevin Firlien (sp?) who is on this forum. I bought my car from his shop and he was also doing a rebuild on another RF80 at the time.

I am also in Doylestown area btw. Feel free to contact me if you need to look at anything on the car.

Ralph

I had very positive dealings with URS when I owned an RF80. As Ralph mentioned, there are several suspension configurations for this car. The folks at URS can sort out what yours needs.

One thing about URS is that they don't read their email frequently. In any case, these conversations usually require some back-and-forth. You would do much better to phone (+1 44 1953 789 223). I always talked with Simon, who is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. Highly recommended.

Kevin Firlein took care of my car, and has supported/raced several Van Diemens of that era. Again, highly recommended.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Thanks, that is helpfull, I have talked to Kevin already and he said he can make noses. I was looking at the rest of the bodywork and it is a bit shabby and was wondering what options were available without spending more money on this car then it is worth.

As far as suspension, everything on it is in pretty good shape, and afew spares came with the car. I just wanted to make sure I have a few key pieces for when we need them. It will be a car for my son to learn in.

Are there prefered or different suspension setups or pickup points for these cars? Is there something we should change while it is apart?

The car was sitting in a store and lock since at least '95, so it isn't too bad but needs a complete rebuild before it is going to see the track again.

John, where did your RF80 end up going? That was a very nice car.

Thanks for your help,

John

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    John, where did your RF80 end up going? That was a very nice car.
    It was sold locally, to a former SM driver.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 2

John T-- I have the baseline set-up sheet Kevin gave me when I purchased the car. I can scan that and I will email it to you tomorrow.
    Ralph Kennedy
    1981 TIGA FF

I also have an origional style center and tail section for the RF80 that I'd be willing to sell. The original center has the mirrors molded into the body, but I hear that they're not very good. The uprated Porter center section and SPA stalk mirrors is the way to go. I'd like to buy a new center section and use a tail section that we got when we purchased the car from Treadway. I'd also be interested in a group buy of the Porter centers to save on shipping. Steve W. is in a central location to the three of us. The sample foto Porter sends out is of my car, when he owned it.
    Alan

Liked: 17

Interesting, I'd never seen the uprated center section. Is there one, will it fit, an RF81?
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

The blue car has the Porter center section. As for the RF81, I've seen a one piece section for the cockpit and engine. You'll have to email Neil for a foto.

Default VD Bodywork

Are you referring to a group buy for the bodywork? My Center section is in pretty decent shape, it's the tail section and the nose is what I need most. Kevin Firlien has a nose mould and he is going to make m me one or two. what is the price of a new style center section and do they come from URS, Pennon or who?

John

Hey,

That's my blue car! Porter makes the mid section and other stuff. Us RF80 racers should get together and exchange ideas.

Whatdayathink?
    It is easy to enjoy life when you are rich,

It is more rewarding when your not.

Cory

Contributing Member

Sounds good to me.

Liked: 17

My 81 has the one-piece center and tail, though I'm wondering if a 2-piece isn't better for quick access to bits here and there? I like the lookof the 80 with the roll bar fairing. I dont like the molded-in mirrors, though.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Contributing Member

Hey John! Alan and I are going for a "group buy" from Porter to share shipping costs. Let me know if you would like to join in, since we are fairly close to each other. He sells the nose, center , and rear pieces.
    Steve

Thread Information