Liked: 210

Default Reasons Why - 89SF Reynard

Okay it isn't leaking. I mean we finish a race and the driver isn't covered in gas. So why in the heck should I go to the trouble of looking at the fuel cell enclosure more often then every 20 years or so??

The picture doesn't do justice to the oily gop mess and tire turds collected. Would make a great fire feeder with plenty of air flow and no way fire suppression could reach it.
    Last edited by rickb99; 07.14.15 at 2:08 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 32

Crap! I thought mine was bad but your's makes mine seem pretty clean. But my cell is a replacement, so it's been apart at least once before. We use a good bio degradable cleaner at work - Biodyne - works real well, just did a final clean last weekend as I finally start putting my Reynard back together.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

AZ,

One thing I'm going to do on the put back together is, lay a thin sheet of aluminum under the cell rivited to the sides (and taped) so those rails aren't 'digging' into the cell. The cell sags down into those areas and could cause some amount of fuel NOT to be available at the pickup. A piece of .059 (or so) aluminum should do it.

Then drill a couple of 'small' holes in the sheet and the belly pan in case (hope not) the cell developes a leak. Better to have the gas on the ground then in the cockpit!

Liked: 4

We put a piece of fiber gasket material under in back of and in front of cell so that it would not chafe/rub against any metal. It's amazing the stuff that gets lodged in there. A 10/32 screw in the wrong place can kill the cell.

We too are going to place a pliece of aliumiumn under the cell as the floor bows a bit under that area. Next season a new floow will be in order.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 955

Don Adams at Fuel Safe recommended I set the cell on a rubber mat to prevent abrasion damage to the bladder. I found some 1/8" thick closed cell foam rubber to put under the cell and part way up the walls around the bottom of the enclosure.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

Ensolite - an old US Army sleeping bag pad available at your local army surplus works well.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I found some 1/8" thick closed cell foam rubber to put under the cell and part way up the walls around the bottom of the enclosure. Regards, Dan
    I'm thinking the same thing on top of the aluminum flooring. Something that doesn't soak up gas On the other hand, you still need a way for water, gas or moisture to drian out too.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    AZ,

One thing I'm going to do on the put back together is, lay a thin sheet of aluminum under the cell rivited to the sides (and taped) so those rails aren't 'digging' into the cell. The cell sags down into those areas and could cause some amount of fuel NOT to be available at the pickup. A piece of .059 (or so) aluminum should do it.

Then drill a couple of 'small' holes in the sheet and the belly pan in case (hope not) the cell developes a leak. Better to have the gas on the ground then in the cockpit!
    Mine already has a pan under the cell - thought it was "standard".... also drain holes. Like I said, someone has already been in there. Also has a nice fuel pickup inside the cell.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Couple of things...

I'm using aircraft Teflon cowl tape in all corners with Ensolite padding under - protection from rivets.

Have a .060 neoprene cloth reinforced pad to go under the cell - safe for use with fuel.

My setup looks not to be standard - Has a Fuel Safe cell with a real nice surge tank, also he fuel outlet is at the lower left rear corner of the cell.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 19

Default Fuel Safe Cell

The fuel cell sounds like a Keith Averill modification. My car (currently in his shop for frame repair) has the same setup. Keith told me he did a number of cars that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMyers View Post
    The fuel cell sounds like a Keith Averill modification.
    Yes, I talked with Keith. Your mods and AZ's sounds like the uprated Averill unit.

Turns out he has a drawing for making the replacement cell but doesn't stock them and no dealer discount with Fuel Safe any more. Dang it!

Did you guys take the filler neck off when you removed the cell? I didn't and it was a bit tricky to get out.

Wonder if the 84 to 86 cell is the same as the 87 to 92? Maybe we can get a group purchase going

In talking to Keith before I bought the car it seemed that it had quite a few of his updates... one of the reasons I bought it!

Fuel cell removal - yes, the filler tube was removed, there is a short neck on the cell it clamped to.

The cell is in the car now while I do a final mock-up before final assembly... so it will be all apart again shortly. I'd be happy to give you the Fuel Safe Ser. #, could be they have records on it. Also would be happy to take some pictures of the cell & install if you'd like to compare... would have to wait a few days, I'll be out of town from tomorrow thru late Saturday.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

That ser. # would be a BIG HELP when you have time.

Liked: 0

To protect the cell I use .10 inch thick(approx) red rubber/fiber gasket material cut into strips that cover rivet rows ect.
    Glue down with contact cement or silicone and cover with real cloth duct tape--or something good.

coat cell rubber with good rubber preservative

1/8-3/16 drain holes--close to each corner and one in center.

secure all fuel lines, filler neck ect so no flopping around goes on.
    (strain relief)
    Most cars I see have filler necks flopping around-scary-I make simple brackets and hose clamped or wire tied.

The gasket material is from local rubber and gasket house.
    commonly used for flanged water/sewer fittings by local systems.

David

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    That ser. # would be a BIG HELP when you have time.
    Ser # is 200712, production date is 02/1994

You can see how it fits, the filler & outlet.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Thanks a lot AZ!

Production date 1994? Hmm. sounds like somebody replaced the cell the first time about when it was 'supposed' to be. If Keith see's this, I wonder if he can tell if it was built to his drawing?

Liked: 610

Default fuel cell

Rick,
    I had some cells made before I found out that they offered an inner surge tank pick up. And I'm sure that others took it upon themselfs to do the same.
    If there is a bolt-on plate, on the back side of the cell, than it may have one. You could always un-bolt it and take a look, or you may be able to see something by looking in the filler opening.
    Keith
    Averil Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 95

Default Fuel cell

It would perhaps be better to drill out those rivets shown vetically in the pic and turn them around so they don't protrude towards the cell. Maybe too late but just to help. I also TAPED off the rivets and siliconed and used the semi rigid foam in the triangular features. Never had even a rub. Remember that it can get tight if you fill it and it sits in the sun etc.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Rick,
    I had some cells made before I found out that they offered an inner surge tank pick up. And I'm sure that others took it upon themselfs to do the same.
    If there is a bolt-on plate, on the back side of the cell, than it may have one. You could always un-bolt it and take a look, or you may be able to see something by looking in the filler opening.
    Keith
    Averil Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    Mine does have the bolt-on tank, also a nice surge tank/pickup - you can also hear the balls for the check valves to the surge tank rattle when the tank is empty.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc View Post
    It would perhaps be better to drill out those rivets shown vetically in the pic and turn them around so they don't protrude towards the cell. Maybe too late but just to help. I also TAPED off the rivets and siliconed and used the semi rigid foam in the triangular features. Never had even a rub. Remember that it can get tight if you fill it and it sits in the sun etc.
    I thought about that, but decided it would be better to have the flush side out so it doesn't catch on anything moving around on the outside. The inside corners are filled with Ensolite (sp?) foam which is fuel resistant, then taped with an aircraft Teflon tape whose adhesive is fuel resistant. Nice and smooth. Bottom of the cell now has a .060" reinforced neoprene pad to rest on also. Sharp edges around the fuel neck and outlet are also now covered. Lot better then when I took it out...
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Thread Information