Liked: 1

Default Carbs vs. Fuel Injection?

I am frequently asked why I do not convert my carbed Swift DB4 to fuel injection. Although my car runs fine as is on the carbs, I am told that FI would provide much better low end response and torque, giving a wider usable rev range and improved driveability. The negatives of FI include 25 pounds higher min weight, increased electrical system requirements, and of course the cost of the conversion parts.

I was wondering if any of you with experience in this area would be willing to share your thoughts. For those that did this conversion, was it worth the time and money? Or do you wish that you had just stuck with the simpler, lighter carbed configuration?

Liked: 14

well in reality there is no reason to stay on carbs, other then the money issue of course. the debate came from the time when FI was restricted to TRD parts and pro specs meaning it was down on horsepower yet weighed more. When those rules were scrapped for 2001, since they werent really being enforced anyways, any preformance reason to stay on carbs went away.

Now be slightly careful in thinking FI will give a nice smooth power delivery. Again, it used to be true but not so much anymore. As developement pushed forward, power levels rasied considerably, and the lower end driveability went away. Let the RPM drop to low and the current FI motors fall on their faces just like the carb'd motors do. That and the external fuel injector motors that have the fuel rail running in front of the trumpets with the injectors squirting into the trumpets are a fouled spark plug waiting to happen.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Default Thanks

Kevin,

Thanks for the info and perspective. If I ever did this conversion I would use some of the parts off my spare motor, which was last run in a 008. I have the intake manifold, chokes, injectors, and fuel rail. I would need to obtain all the other fuel injection stuff, such as ECU, harness, crank sensor, fuel pumps, etc. I have found a good source for most of these items, including a TRD T3 ECU with software.

Liked: 24

Hey Rick...you going to send me an email

Hi Tim,

I have sent you a PM.

Thread Information