Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ARRC

Liked: 3787

We arrived mid-afternoon. Went out in the 3rd session on last year's ARRC tires to check out all the changes to the car. Nothing fell off. Driver was even half competent. Driving amoung FSTs and FBs requires staying alert. I must say driving with the FBs on the track is a lot less scary than standing on the wall and watching the FBs.

I watched Dean run in the 5pm session. He was looking pretty good in the bright yellow 84 Reynard.

No sign of Hatheway or Herscher yet, as we left after dark.

Klutsenbaker had his beautful Citation up on stands when we arrived. Didn't get to chat. Maybe he had done the a.m. sessions?

Great weather day today. Looks dry for the am qualifier, then it could be wet in the afternoon qualifier. Get-r-done in the morning.

Liked: 0

Hi gang,

Just heard from the track. So it appears John Herscher will start on pole in CFC, as his morning time was unmatched this afternoon, despite the Purple Frog bettering his fast time in the afternoon. I've posted more details on EFCN.

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1532

Cheers,
    Last edited by Al Craighead; 11.07.08 at 7:10 PM.
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

John Herscher is a class act. He has his 94/95 VD dialed in. This morning a 1:29.917. Almost down to Keith Roberts CFC Road Atlanta Record.

I've got no excuses. Having not driven since May, I'm rusty. I am going faster than any time last year at the ARRC, but boy howdy... old man's disease has set in. I'm way overslowing for T1 and T3, and probably T6. The car is at least a second faster than i am. I wasn't going out this afternoon, but many such as Carnut169, John Herscher, etc encouraged me to go out. I was faster, but more importantly a bit smoother. Handled the traffic better. Afterwards i was talking to Stevan Davis (ex-FC, and current top FV driver), he said I was uglying up T1 where he was watching. He said my turn in point was perfect, for a car going 20 mph faster.

Now for the bad news. The fun last year in the ARRC was that the top 4 CFCs ran nose to tail much of the race. That is going to be hard this year. John is up front, but there are 5, count them 5, FMs between john and i. Turns out this is the last race of the season for Bruce's Speed Connection pro-FM series. So they have 9 FMs running in the FS class fighting for their championship, all mixed up with the CFCs. Ugly. Being that i have old man's disease, i'm pretty quick in the slow stuff... just where the back marker FMs are slow. yuck.

There is one FM/FS that won't bother John, nor I... Franklin Futrelle turned a 1:26.5.
    Very impressive.

CFC grid for tomorrow:
    Herscher 94/95 VD 1:29.9
    Eakin 89 Reynard 1:32.4
    Greenamayer 84 Reynard 1:33.0
    Klutsenbaker 9? Citation 1:39.4
    Bonessi 92-95 VD 1:41.7
    Reisert 87-89 Reynard 1:42.0

All sessions today were in great weather. the rain came in after sunset, and should be gone by dawn.

Liked: 1

Default Go Frog

Mr. Frog,

Drive fast and take chances! And tell Mrs. Frog that Emma and I said hello.

Don't forget the inimitable words of Mr. Ongias - take the wings off the thing and get the chassis working!

Looking forward to seeing how you do this weekend...

C.

Chris bring Emma's cookies!

Mrs Frog did take another 4000 pix today. Her D40X burned up after mid-day,(shutter went do-do) Rick Johnson lent her his D50 to save the day.

The CFC field at T5:
    and Franklin, because he was cooking in the FM.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 10:13 PM.

After starting this thread, getting us all excited about racing at the ARRC, and collecting the money from many competitors for a CFC/ARRC prize fund.... who doesn't show this year?

As heard tonight on Letterman... Top 10 reasons Morgan ('07 ARRC CFC Champion)didn't show at the 08 ARRC;

10 My driver coach is on ROTC duty this weekend.
    9 James had to mow his yard.
    8 John Robinson sold all my spares.
    7 K-Mart discontinued the Morgan Racing red paint in the 99 cent rattle cans.
    6 The prize fund wouldn't pay for one night at Chateau Elan.
    5 There has been a downturn in the economy lads.
    4 I have to attend the annual Irish Royal Attorney (IRA) Convention in Dublin.
    3 What if I lost to Frog?
    2 The DB6 shrunk over the past year

and the number 1 reason Jim Morgan didn't show at the ARRC is:

1 My cheater motor blew up on the dyno.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 10:10 PM.

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    After starting this thread, getting us all excited about racing at the ARRC, and collecting the money from many competitors for a CFC/ARRC prize fund.... who doesn't show this year?

As heard tonight on Letterman... Top 10 reasons Morgan ('07 ARRC CFC Champion)didn't show at the 08 ARRC;

10 My driver coach is on ROTC duty this weekend. True
    9 James had to mow his yard. and he still had house work to finish
    8 John Robinson sold all my spares. Yes, I did
    7 K-Mart discontinued the Morgan Racing red paint in the 99 cent rattle cans. It is Home Depot not Kmart, sometimes Walmart
    6 The prize fund wouldn't pay for one night at Chateau Elan. It would not cover the wine bill at Dinner
    5 There has been a downturn in the economy lads. That did not stop him last year
    4 I have to attend the annual Irish Royal Attorney (IRA) Convention in Dublin. Dublin, Ohio
    3 What if I lost to Frog? oh, the shame of it all
    2 The DB6 shrunk over the past year It has been shrinking over the past 5 years

and the number 1 reason Jim Morgan didn't show at the ARRC is:

1 My cheater motor blew up on the dyno.
    1 He has 2 suckers, oops clients, on line for houses next year and has to get them under contract before some other near do well contractor gets them signed The cheater motor is waiting for the double national @ Moroso

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

To use the bull that is killing us all,

"I thank my good friend from St. Cloud the Honorable John Robiinson for his eloquent response to the statements of the Gentelman from Panacea Purple Frog. While I may not agree with Mr. Frogs analysis of the situation I respect his point of view. I must however object to the gentelman from Panacea's assertion that I may be a member of an Irish terrorist organization. Even more agregious in my opinion is the resort by Mr. Frog to the politics of hate. How dare he(to quote Keith Olberman) question the issue of my obesity in public! Once again to quote my favorite idiot( Mr. Frog, have you no shame!)!

Liked: 0

Hi gang,

Just thought I'd let you know that John Herscher converted his pole position into the CFC win, leading Purple Frog and Klutsenbaker to the checkered flag. More here:

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1532

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Liked: 11

Mike was driving the wheels off his Reynard.... and one lap he came over the top of the hill (under the bridge) headed to 12 and the back end came out. He almost caught it... I was told he went sideways down the hill 25 yards or so and stalled in on track, just over the hill... along came Justin and how they missed each other... great skill by both drivers!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Congrats to Hersher I've run against him,his brother and his dad good folks. That keeps the ARRC in Florida for another year. take that georgia whoops same as last week

Default Herscher Wins First and Second

Another great ARRC weekend.

Weather and fall foilage looking like Vermont at the peak of tourist season.

John Herscher is fast. Probably the first in history to win the SIC and ARRC in the same year. He is also a great gentleman. Friday night I discovered my onboard battery had gone south (only 6 months old). Even if i could have gotten a new one Saturday morning it would have taken 8 hours to charge up. John readily volunteered one of his spares. I put it in during the lunch break.

During the race I somehow placed Pollywog on the grass after coming under the bridge. If you think that 15 foot high concrete wall looks big when you are screaming down into T12, let me tell you... it looks like you are going upstream towards Hoover Dam when you are on the grass at 90mph! I ended up stalled at the apex of T12 with the leaders flying under the bridge. Not a pretty sight. Pritchard threaded the needle, I'm told... I think I was too busy looking for the starter button to see how close it was. Short story, the car restarted thanks to John's battery! I was able to continue playing. Thank you John!

Let it be known, Ardie Greenamyer is going to make his presence known if he stays in FC. He is one fast lad. He has done some motorcycle racing on Road Atlanta. He is a much better driver than I. He was flogging his worn out 84 Reynard. I followed him a bit, and he was taking me to school. I believe if he had been in Pollywog, he might have made John have to race.

Ardie and I had one of those fun 4 lap races at the end when I had to run him down after my afore mentioned dumb move. He battled me hard, but my Butler powerplant was no match for his worn out mill. I led all of the last lap until going under the bridge when i conviently got 4th gear instead of 2nd. Ardie was so under my gearbox, it took all he could do not to ram me. He jumped out to the right and got inside me to take T12 and the checker for what we both thought was 2nd.

Unfortunately he got docked for a tech glitch in impound. Ardie ain't no cheater. One of those innocent deals, where he went out and bought a car and it wasn't legal. But what wasn't legal had nothing to do with helping performance in this case. He's a real good pilot. Keep a lookout for him in the Loisville KY area. Maybe the GLC series next year?

Thanks to Dana Wilcock (Beartrax's dad) i was spoiled all weekend with great crew. And having Dana to help enabled Mrs. Frog to take hundreds of pix that you have seen posted earlier.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 10:10 PM.

Liked: 3322

Hey, Froggy, not too bad for an old amphibian...

At least you got to race this year!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Dave,

The older i get, the faster i realize you are.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Some guy in a purple driving suit told me on Thursday to aim for the white square on the bridge and you will be on the correct line
    Last edited by problemchild; 11.10.08 at 6:48 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 59

Congrats John! Great season!

Bill

Liked: 1

Yes, Great job John!! Wow a 95 Van Diemen can go under 1:30 @ RA?! I sure missed yall this race ...and season.
    Man Mike sideways at T-12 that is a crazy deal, and there are pictures!! Was it luck or skill? Did Butch teach you that move or just what to do after it happens?
    C Yall next season!
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 59

We missed seeing you there Mark. I still owe you some beers from 2004.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information