Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PLN

Liked: 1886

Liked: 218

Stop by the One Formula trailer at the Runoffs. I had a bunch of PLN stickers made up to hand out to run on your car. Tough day.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 6

Test days at Lime Rock will never be the same.......no bumps.... and no Newman.

Goodspeed Mr Newman. You and your family are in our prayers.

Tony Carpanzano

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Another hero lost

My first meeting: MAR, Wentzville MO. PLN was racing the Ferrari in BP. My mom still has the entry form he signed all those years ago.... Must have been 1978 I think? I was all of 13.

Some photos from the Runoffs, 1975.

http://landiss.info/racing/1975November/index.html

Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

my first meeting with PLN. i had been following his career in racing but thought just another rich guy buying wins, even though i admired him. in 1978 after a pretty good weekend in canada at le circuit i'm driving back to operts house, all full of myself, from LRP near the NY/CT border on some hilly twisty road in my 240Z. i hook up with a saab turbo and a porsche, and we begin to have some fun. being the ever observant one, i all of a sudden realize that another car has come out of nowhere and is passing me. as he passes me, he smiles, waves, and lowers his glasses. i almost wreck. Paul Newman has just passed me at about 120 mph...... IN A VOLKSWAGEN!

in short- I think he was the guy we all aspire to be.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    Stop by the One Formula trailer at the Runoffs. I had a bunch of PLN stickers made up to hand out to run on your car. Tough day.

Steve, What paddock spot will you be in.

Thanks, Mike
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

mike....sent you email....ric

Liked: 218

Mike,

GG 1600 and 1650 I think. I'll be parking there tomorrow and let you know for sure. I won't be back until Monday the 6th, though. We're testing tomorrow and then going home for a week.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 79

Many memories of Paul at Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges in the lates 70's early 80's. From instructor one of my Ledges drivers schools (closed wheel group of course), to having the paddock space next to him at a Nelson Ledges National in the late 70's and having people trample all over our stuff to get a glipmse of him. Cooking hot dogs on our little grill Friday after registation, while his team was grilling steaks. I must confess that I was taking many pictures during those times. I will be digging them out to "remember when"

Hopefully they will find a cure soon for this dreaded disease soon. I have lost too many family and friends in the last several years due to cancer.
    Last edited by Bob Coury; 09.28.08 at 12:01 PM.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default To me HE will forever be

Old Blue Eyes (with all due respect to Frank Sinatra)...

Watkins Glen 2004-ish. I'm in line at registration and the guy directly in front of me looks familliar. Once he speaks, it's like a light switch got flipped. That voice, those eyes. Ha! Man, this guy is absolutely tiny I'm thinking to myself. I know the camera adds 10 lbs, but who knew it throws in a couplea inches as well?!!

Sat Qual and I'm under my car, poking away at something and I hear a faint roar that is getting louder by the second. I barely have time to peek up as a private jet at probably 250' and 400 knots is pulling up hard and banking away.
    I know we've just been buzzed, but by who, I've no idea.

A few minutes later a couple of guys were walking by and I heard one of 'em say to the other "Yeah, the engine let loose pretty good and it took out some other stuff so Paul just said to pack it up and get home to get ready for the next one. He just came by a few minutes ago like he said he would, low and fast!"

I've never been into the whole hero worship thing, certainly not anything remotely Hollywood, or ball sports related.

I have however heavily admired a few folks along the way for ALL the stuff they do.
    Ask yourself how many people reach that level of fame and fortune turn into complete goons. THAT list is way to long...

What an icon. What a man. I think I can clearly see a day when his name becomes synonomous with doing something self-less, a great deed.

Pretty much the opposite of Buttafuco...

As mentioned previously, tiny in stature, in person, he'll be remembered as a Giant in regard to things that matter...

GC

Liked: 2

Default His favorite

Amazing how many of us ordinary folks have memories of PLN. As things turned out, we were at several of the Road Atlanta runoffs he drove and he was just another guy trying to get around the track. You could find him hanging on the fence or buying a hot dog.

Does anyone remember a cable produced show a couple of years ago when Paul was interviewed by Robert Redford, in his home in CT. During their conversation the subject of racing came up, as you know it would, and Paul got up and pointed to a framed collection of his SCCA medals from his many runoff victories. He said something like, these are more important to me than any of the other awards I get for my work. Really shows how important this sport was to him. And to the rest of us. Good memories, all of them.

Liked: 17

Just got sent this link. 50 eggs from Cool Hand Luke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNyl6gXLMLQ
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 9

Default Paul's sense of humor

I may be fuzzy on the details but I just heard a story this morning about Robert Redford (I think) "interviewing" Paul at his Conn. home. Paul had every sheet of toilet paper in the bathroom printed with Redford's picture and the words "Greetings from Robert Redford"
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default A Photo op missed

We were at Limerock for a test day. PLN bought a new stopwatch and threw the papers away. About an hour later, I looked over and saw him bent over the trash can pulling out the directions. We all had a good laugh. If only I could have taken a picture of him, it would have been priceless.
    He was a GREAT HUMAN and a true ICON. The world would be a far better place is we had more like him!
    Last edited by Alan R Guibord; 09.29.08 at 7:02 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Default PLN Remembered

First time I met him was 1974 or 1975 at LRP on a cold test day in late March or early April; I was a young newbie (you have no idea how much of a newbie I was-clueless) and there was PLN banging around in his Cortina. End of the day, I found myself invited to his trailer for a beer-couldn't believe I was in the same paddock, much less the same trailer as him. He was funny, congenial, gracious and left a lasting mark on me.

We raced against each other numerous times in B/S in the mid '70s- He was always better.

There are many, many stories involving him with Bob Sharp Racing vs Group 44 someone else should tell: Rig races around LRP during lunch break, paddock tours through Group 44's trailer, and more.

----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 106

Default Blessed to have met him

Due to the circumstances of my job, I represented Volvo for some business relating to a Volvo Dealership He and Michael Brockman own.

My Dealings were always with Brock who befriended me quickly, common ground I suppose.

However, At Lime Rock as I stopped to say hello to Brock I was introduced to PN who was warm and gracious to a nobody like me. Subsequent races up to last Years NARRC run offs I would stop to look for Brock and end up chatting briefly with PN in their totter home. Again, warm and gracious to a relative nobody.

Of course we all wish peace on his family..

Michael,

My deepest condolences for the loss of your best friend.

Phil

Liked: 2

Default PLN remembered

I never met him nor did I ever see him turn a lap in person. I recently saw his star in the sidewalk and thought of him and his racing, me just starting as a SCCA driver. I have always been fond of his movies and was always aware of his racing.

He has touched the lives of millions and will be missed by those he never knew. Those who met him and knew him are as lucky as he considered himself for having the life he did. He gave much to many and wanted nothing in return.

I am intrigued by the short stories from Apex members. Thank you for sharing.
    By the way I think he prefered nomex over a tux.
    Another person I wish I could have met...........just once
    God Bless his family
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 3

Default PLN...my experience

What else can you say about a true American treasure. I met Paul at the Road America 500 in the late 80's, My buddy and I were in line getting some brats, who gets in line behind us but none other than Paul and a member of his crew. We get our food and I turn around and say, "Good Luck today Mr. Newman and enjoy your lunch"

We sit down and you figure that was that. Oh no, there are a dozen empty picnic tables. He comes and sits down next to us and we chat for almost 20 minutes. I forgot to eat! My buddy couldn't even speak...LOL!

Godspeed Mr. Newman

Jp
    Z16
    Jp: thewarehouse "at" msn.com
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

Liked: 502

Thank you all for the stories, RIP PLN. Condolences to Friends, Family and all who's lives he touched.

Liked: 956

Default PLN Drivers School 1971

My friends on the Lotus Elan mailing list forwarded this on...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbguerrajr/2893463173/

In true Lotus fashion, it broke on the first day of school. Tommy Ciccione was Paul's instructor; Tommy went home and brought his 510 back for Paul to drive on Sunday. The car ran well and Paul finished the school

My son and I enjoyed watching him race a Lotus Esprit in the Exxon SportsCar Series at Sears Point in the early 1990s. We didn't intrude, just watched in the paddock and up in turns 2 and 8. He was very smooth on a technical track with some tough pro competition.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Letterman

David Letterman did a nice tribute to him last night and during the tribute mentioned that Paul had donated over $250 million to charity during his lifetime. He said if you ever get a chance to visit one of his "Hole in the Wall Camps" to do so as you will get a true picture of the generosity of the man. If we are each others keepers - we have truly lost a mentor. All of your stories further add to my admiration of the man.

Liked: 0

Default More PLN racing stories

I found this link on the Friends Of Triumphs site. It's a collection of stories from people about Paul and his racing career.
    http://speedstylemagazine.com/index....d=17&Itemid=40

mike
    Real race cars don't have fenders

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Show on Paul

Just read about this show this week on Sundance Channel on Paul:

Thursday October 2 at 9:15PM and Saturday October 4 at 3PM, Sundance Channel will be screening the ICONOCLASTS season 1 episode ROBERT REDFORD ON PAUL NEWMAN in memory of actor, filmmaker and friend Paul Newman. The Saturday screening will be preceded at 2PM by THE MAKING OF BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information