Liked: 1

Default Barber in an FA?

Has anyone ever taken their Atlantic to Barber? If so, any gearing and/or set-up info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill G -- how about bringing that awesome RT-41 out to Barber for Labor Day?

Liked: 101

Default Rick

Hi Rick,
    We are trying to run Road Atjanta this weekend.....If i don't stuff it, blow it up. or have it stolen, Barber would be great.

I think it would have to be either the double nat @ CMP. or Barber......I'll definitely know more after this weekend......hope to see you soon.

Best regards,
    Bill

Liked: 202

Not to dissuade you from going because it's an interesting experiment (and one that we've considered for Road Atlanta in the past), but the August 23-24 weekend at CMP is NOT a Double National. It is a single National with half the groups/classes doing all their racing on Saturday and the other half doing all their racing on Sunday.

Technically I'd guess it's a "Double Half-National".
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 9

Default Barber gears

Hi Rick,
    Just caught your thread. I can supply info on gear sets that we used on the March 80A. Should be close enough. Will get that out to you tomorrow.

Am taking the Swift to Atlanta this weekend and will use the same parameters Bill is using to make it to Barber.

Bill,
    Talked with Kevin last night and found out you're coming. Looking forward to meeting you and chasing you around RA.

Bill and Chris,

I really hope both you guys can make it to Barber. I also thought about going to the CMP National (much closer to Charlotte), but I've never been to Barber and thought that I would give it a try. Looks like it should be a pretty fun drive in an Atlantic, although I expect that it might be pretty physically demanding, so I better start working out now!

I am going to try and come up with some gearing ideas this weekend, so if you have any suggestions please pass them along. I plan to just use gears 2 thru 5 at this track. So far I've been averaging about two gear changes per race weekend with my DB4, so my goal for Barber is to limit the gear changes to just one.

Liked: 0

Hey Chris

Check the DB-4 notes I mailed you, I think there's a set-up sheet in there somewhere...

Regards,
    GregoryJ

Default Barber gears

Hi Rick,
    This is what I have on record for the March at Barber.
    13-35
    14-32
    15-33 (16-32)
    17-30
    18-28
    As with your thoughts we were set up as a 4 speed box. You won't use 1st there, but 2nd and 3rd a lot. If I remember correctly (and interpreted my notes correctly) I ran out of RPM's with a 16-32 and the 15-33 worked OK. It is a busy track. Lot's of quick elevation changes. Very technical in my perspective, will certainly wear you out, but much fun and a beautiful facility (don't dare make a mess in the paddock).

Greg,
    I went back through the TONS of stuff you sent hoping for something to compare with what I'd used before. Nope. Lots of other track set ups, but nothing for Barber. So....
    now that you're on this thread what's your 008a going to be doing that weekend of Barber??

Liked: 11

This might help the folks who have never been to Barber...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTFQleBnJk
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Nice video, Sean. Thank you for sharing. Do you recall what approximate lap times you were doing in the F1000? Also, do you know of any links which would show current SCCA lap records at Barber for every class?

Chris,

Thanks so much for the gearing info. What R&P and wheel/tire size were you running in the March?

And you're right......Greg J needs to dust off that beautiful 008 and come join us at Barber!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Forrer View Post
    Greg,
    I went back through the TONS of stuff you sent hoping for something to compare with what I'd used before. Nope. Lots of other track set ups, but nothing for Barber. So....
    now that you're on this thread what's your 008a going to be doing that weekend of Barber??
    Thanks for the reminder Chris....If some more people get engaged I might be able to get this car off garage queen duty by Labor Day.

And to further hi-jack this thread...I've got some stuff in NY that needs to get to Rick Ross if there are any local racers heading down that way we'd be glad to contribute to your fuel bill.

Regards,
    GregoryJ

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Nice video, Sean. Thank you for sharing. Do you recall what approximate lap times you were doing in the F1000? Also, do you know of any links which would show current SCCA lap records at Barber for every class?
    I could not find track records for Barber, but imagine I set FB at 1.27.3 during the race last year.

Other Barber times- my first ever race in 03 (FC)- 1.32, in 04 (FC)- 1.31

Overall track record (from the Barber site) 1.20.613 set by Max Papis in 04 in a Daytona prototype car. (official)
    unofficial track record is Tony Kanaan's 1.09.743 in a Dallara-Honda Indy Car.

Matt Mladin did it in 1.25.04 on a GSXR1000.

I would imagine that a good FA could match Max's time.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Sean,
    Nice video! Thanks for sharing! I couldn't find anything on this last week when I was in a hotel in Chicago....

I really love the way your FB sounds. Maybe as nice as an FA?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Hey Garey,

So do you have that gearbox back yet? You REALLY need to get that DB4 back together and come down and join Chris and me for this one. It will be the "unofficial" First Annual DB4 Reunion. Don't worry.....we'll take it easy on you since you have to deal with that oh-so-sensitive Mazda powerplant .

Default Barber gears

Rick,
    R&P was 9.31
    Tire size. 9.0/20.0-13 13.0/23.0-13

Enjoyed the video of Barber. However, like Road Atlanta the video, as most, don't allow you to appreciate the elevation changes. My aging memory recalls it to be much like a roller coaster. Heck, if you look at Barber's website which shows the layout and topography, it looks like a roller coaster. Barber was designed for bikes. That a DP and an Indy car can beat the stuffings out of a bike's time is fantastic.

If you do low 1:20's there. You'll be my hero for life.
    Last edited by Chris Forrer; 07.17.08 at 4:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    Overall track record (from the Barber site) 1.20.613 set by Max Papis in 04 in a Daytona prototype car. (official)
    Valiente just lowered the mark today with a 1.20.521
    Ken

That shouldn't be a problem for the RRR track record holder!
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

A 1:20.5 lap should be no problem.......I'll just need to borrow Kanaan's Indy car for the weekend.

I watched some of the Grand Am race this weekend, and Barber looks like a fun but challenging track. It also looks like it will be pretty physically demanding in the Atlantic, with much of the lap spent turning one way or the other, which is very hard on the 'ole neck. I'm looking forward to checking it out, although I expect that it might take more than one visit to really figure out the fastest way around. I don't think I really learned my way around VIR until my third visit or so.

So Garey, Chris, Bill........can I count on seeing you all there?

Well, I finally got the gearbox out last night! Geez, that was tough - good thing it's light! I hope I remember where everything goes when I get it back!

Besides the noise that made me decide to send this in, I noticed that 11 of the 12 inner CV studs were wiggle/wobble loose. The 12th one was broken. Hmmm, might need a bit of work....
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 553

Okay, the FA guys are starting with the excuses about how it's a tough track for atlantics, setting low expectations so it wont be as embarrassing after the FB whoopin'.

:-).

I'm just smack talking. Personally, I'll be off the pace and happy if my car makes it through the weekend even turning FF times. :-).

I'm looking forward to a fun time with fun folks at a fun track.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Barber

Rick,
    Still rolling and I think running after a very unsatisfactory weekend at Atlanta. Bill packed up Saturday. Never saw Russ. I have some electrical issues to resolve, but still planning for and looking forward to Barber on Labor Day. Would be great to get a bunch of Atlantics together (all of us whiners ) to chase the FB's. Or something like that.

Default Whiners unite!

Hi guys,
    That Giancarlo guy was a missle.....hope he never gets an atlantic.........my prehensile tail is thoroughly tucked between my short legs.

After mounting the ignition in the hottest place we could find, we were shocked and awed that it would time-out after 4-5 laps......i guess those pesky installation instructions might actually have value.

Anyway, it was a pleasure making new friends, and we will sort our issues......still torn between Barber and CMP......I think Rick is sandbagging us.

BG

Default Barber whiners

Bill,
    Truly hope you get that heatsink you call an ignition system worked out. Ya gotta come to Barber to make sure Rick isn't sandbagging. There's honor involved here. Besides, we're on for a beer and barbeque in Irondale.

Giancarlo, aka Glenn Cooper, was shamefully quick. Sadly, he was a member of the long list of DNF'ers. If he shows up at Barber someone in our group is going to have to step up.

Oh.....I haven't even started the serious whining yet. Wait until you hear all about my tired motor, old hard tires, worn-out carbs, soft brake pedal, bad knee, sore neck, etc., etc. And that's just for starters!

Seriously, though, the FB's are indeed very quick, and they will only get faster as the class continues to develop. The FA lap record at Road Atlanta is in the 1:19's, and I think Pritchard has already been in the 1:21's there. It's probably only a matter of time until the FB's are running the same or quicker laps than the FA's at many tracks. Unless, of course, that someone decides to come out with a new Atlantic design......are you listening Rennie?

Bill and Garey --- you guys need to join us at Barber so that we will have someone to complain to whilst getting spanked by the four-wheeled motorcycles!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    ...It's probably only a matter of time until the FB's are running the same or quicker laps than the FA's at many tracks. Unless, of course, that someone decides to come out with a new Atlantic design......are you listening Rennie?
    What what... new car... how do you know about that? How are you spying on my thoughts? Who sent you?

Cheers,
    Rennie

Hey Rennie,

Ever read Orwell's "1984"? Big Brother is indeed watching......and the Thought Police are well aware of your subversive plans.

So beware! Do not even think about a new Atlantic design. For example, a design that perhaps utilizes an existing FIA-approved tub, a homologated engine, and a proven sequential gearbox. A car with new suspension geometry and components, and all-new tunnels, wings, and engine cover. A car in which the aero design is intially CFD based, and then verified in the wind tunnel to produce a comprehensive aero baseline. No...do not even think of such things.

Rick

PS - Please put me down for Chassis Number 1.

My My, what big eyes you have grandma....er, Rick

Hi Bill,

Yep, my eyes are plenty big......now all I need is a winning lottery ticket!

So what's it going to be -- CMP or Barber?

Thread Information