Liked: 47

Default CFC to FF Conversion - Break Even Proposition??

Several years ago I restored a Van Diemen RF84SF to race in a Club Continental class that Cal Club had. The class was eliminated while I was restoring it. I ran it in several races, both in Cal Club (as an FC) as well as VARA (which has an FC1 class for 89 and older) through to the end of 2006. In those outings, I ran either unopposed or with a maximum of three cars in class. Taking into account what I could sell the car for if I ever chose to part with it, the cost of updating the aero package (wings, diffuser) would be prohibitive. In the meantime I've been watching the development of a FF1600 series in Southern California and a street tire FF1600 series out of Arizona, and I am starting to think that this is the direction I'd like to go.

I've already got the conversion parts (engine mounts, exhaust) to make the switch. The question I have is this- is there a market out there for my F2000 parts (pinto motor, wings, wheels) that would make the swap a break even proposition economically?? Any advice and input is appreciated. Thanks.

Liked: 0

It may be more to the point to sell your current car and buy a FF that is already complete and ready to go.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Conversion

There is little market for the wings, since most of the current cars will use something different. The wheels will sell, but the current cars are probably using something different, which will drive the price down. Right now it's harder to find a good 1600 motor than a 2.0 motor due to many folks converting to Zetec 2.0.

As long as you accept that your time in doing the conversion is absolutely no value, you could probably do the job for a thousand or two out-of-pocket. This doesn't include engine o/h costs, new input shaft (if necessary), clutch, etc.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 47

Default What to Do with an "In-Between" Car

Buying a complete FF1600 would actually be my first preference, but (as with most people) I would need to sell this current car first. For what I can sell this car for, I think my options would be limited from a marketplace standpoint. That's the main problem with some of these "In-Between" early 80's cars that do not have an established following. A good Club or Spec Ford is north of $10K. Vintage Fords and DB1s or newer Van Diemens FFords are more. This essentially leaves my options to other "In-Between" FF's like a Crossle 55. Come to think of it that wouldn't be a bad choice from a parts standpoint.
    As it is, I've already had a 1600 in my RF84. When I restored the car, the intent was to be able to configure it with either motor, so the labor involved would require little more than that if I were pulling the Pinto out for a rebuild.
    This is starting to confirm what I have been thinking in regards to the FF2000 Pinto market, however.

Liked: 123

My thought is go ahead and do it, and put the parts in storage (bar possibly the actual engine) till you eventually sell the car, then sell it as "goes both ways". there will be some sort of interest sooner or later in that era of car, and you'll have it. Int he mean time, you'll be actually driving it, having some fun. Try to make a business case out of it, you'll never do it.

Brian

Thread Information