Liked: 0

Default Big FA crash at Thunderhill

Hi All,

Here's video of that big FA crash at Thunderhill in mid March. Shot on our GoPro F1000 using the Motorsports HERO camera:

http://gopro.vsocial.com/#212943

And if you want to see us almost get speared by a spinning FA Pro Mazda this past weekend at Infineon, check this one out:

http://www.goprocamera.com (middle of page)

Hi5 all...drive safe!!! - GoPro

Liked: 99

Ouch!!
    -Nick

Liked: 447

That's why "racin' room" is needed in these here formula cars.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

It wasn't quite the 15 feet of air that rumour in the paddock said it was, but looked nasty enough! It did quite a bit of damage too by the looks of things.

Nicholas

Can you let me know how to get the sound working on my GoPro cameras in playback mode once I have downloaded, along with how to post them on this site.

I have the crash of the DSR going into the hotpit wall sideways/backwards at Thill from the same weekend / race that added to the full course yellows for the entire race time allocation.

Cheers
    Kyle
    ps Congrats on the track record this weekend, I suspect track records will be falling all season long across the country in FB! See you soon.

Liked: 141

Next time don't lift at turn one.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Drivers OK.

I talked top a friend who knows both drivers last weekend and both are OK and working on getting their cars back on track. Roger (yellow car) had his gearbox seperate from the engine but has almost finished repairs. Edd (blue car) is still looking for some parts to repair his car.
    It will be good to see them back in action again.

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Next time don't lift at turn one.
    Dude...it was freezing out, tires were cold, and I was on 250 compounds.

Bring it.

(just kidding :-)

Hehehe -

Quote Originally Posted by 996kyle View Post
    Nicholas

Can you let me know how to get the sound working on my GoPro cameras in playback mode once I have downloaded, along with how to post them on this site.

I have the crash of the DSR going into the hotpit wall sideways/backwards at Thill from the same weekend / race that added to the full course yellows for the entire race time allocation.
    If you have no sound it is because you are using VISTA and Windows Media Player, yes? VISTA has tons of issues with sound/videos from many cameras. Download QUICKTIME PLAYER free from http://www.apple.com and watch your videos with that, instead. Sound works great and the overall player is better than Media Player.

Then post your videos on http://vscocial.com/sandbox for better quality than YOUTUBE and then you can "embed" the link from the video to your post on this site and the video will show up.

Email me directly at nicholas@goprocamera.com if you still need help.

Congrats to you on YOUR track record at T-Hill. A 1:44:9!??! WTF?!?! I'll make sure to hit the weights before our next meeting, Kyle...you are packing some serious speed. Nice work.

Liked: 141

Default lifting

Sorry about that, it sounded more blunt than I ment it. It sounds like the conditions were not ideal at all.

Thanks Nicholas, I will download and then try and upload the video as you have outlined.
    I will contact you if i am still having issues.
    Thanks for the note about the track record,...As you are well aware the Stohr makes it easy to take track records. Doug and Wyane have done a kickass job and I could not be happier with my decision to buy the Stohr F1000.

Are you coming North to race at Seattle or Portland in May for the National events?
    3 races in 2 weekends between the 2 tracks,...as well a good opportunity to sell a pile of GO PRO cameras.

Cheers
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Sorry about that, it sounded more blunt than I ment it. It sounds like the conditions were not ideal at all.
    I was only kidding, too. I know, when I watch the video I felt like such a whimp. But really, it was freaking cold and I personally had no grip on those hard tires. We made a bad tire call that weekend.

You can tell me not to lift anytime...I want to know!

Are you coming North to race at Seattle or Portland in May for the National events?
    3 races in 2 weekends between the 2 tracks,...as well a good opportunity to sell a pile of GO PRO cameras.

Cheers
    Kyle
    I am trying to organize for the Rose Cup but we have a race at Thunderhill the weekend before so I cannot make the double weekend in Portland...but I want to!!!

1:44:9 at Thunderhill...I still cannot believe it, Kyle. I will be gunning for it next time I am out there but that is a smoking time you laid down...doh!

I had to put a good time up, 3 laps from the end of qualifying i was black flagged for sound. I lost all my earlier qualifying times and I was in panic mode, I had one lap to get tire temps up and then lay one done. Things went my way i guess,...

How did you do this weekend against Nicholas Belling?

You gotta show up to BOTH Portland race weekends, we need the car counts!

Cheers
    Kyle

Liked: 210

If you want 3 Nationals in 2 weekends the plan is:

Northwest Region Double National at Seattle International Raceway on:

May 24, 25, 26

SIR is a very challenging 2.15 mile track with a 150' elevation change that will remind you of Laguna Seca. It is fairly bumpy but a great experience none the less. Racing through the trees with a view of Mt. Rainier.

Park your rigs at a place I know near the track. 24 hour on site security at reasonable rates. Used to short term park semi's. Or, there are people in the area who will let you park rigs. But perhaps without security around.

Pick up rig following Thursday afternoon and tow 3 hours to Portland for the Rose Cup National:

May 30, 31 and June 1.

National is on Saturday the 31st. Use Sunday for the tow back to Cal. Wonderful stuff
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

I had to put a good time up, 3 laps from the end of qualifying i was black flagged for sound. I lost all my earlier qualifying times and I was in panic mode, I had one lap to get tire temps up and then lay one done. Things went my way i guess,...

How did you do this weekend against Nicholas Belling?

You gotta show up to BOTH Portland race weekends, we need the car counts!

Cheers
    Kyle
    Only got to race against a Pro Mazda as Belling ran his FC to qualify for the nationals. I had a great race with the Pro Mazda...I'll make a video of the footage and post it in a few days, I hope. Turns 3,4,5,6 at Buttonwillow were GREASY(!) which made for a very very fun section of track...the F1000 had the Pro Mazda painted through this section and we could take Riverside (high speed sweeper) a bit faster so we could stay in the hunt even when the Pro Mazda would pull us down the straights. Terrific fun.

Buttonwillow is a great track aside from the poor run offs when muddy (which it was in sections). It's a very busy track which is great fun in the F1000. Much like hauling butt on a country road...I dig it.

I am pushing our team to make it up to Portland...believe me!

Hi5 amigos - GoPro

Liked: 5

Go Pro Dude,

Two questions. Can you post a picture showing how you have your camera mounted? I have mine on the roll bar but there is too much vibration and the picture is pretty wavey and the camera shuts off before getting the whole session half the time. Also, the file size is huge when you get a whole session..... for a clip like you posted here how do you downsize the file so it isn't so large? Are you converting to another format?
    Thanks,
    Steve O'Hara

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Steve,

if you put one or 2 layers of think hockeytape on the plastic mount side attached to your car.. use 2 if you can fit.. and then slide your cam mount in you will find it very nice and snug and secure. fixed all our issues.. ITS AWESOME NOW....

we fit 2 layers of tape and had to tap/mallet our mount on.. but its snug with ZERO play.

AND NICHOLAS,,,, SEE YOU IN PORTLAND
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Hara View Post
    Go Pro Dude,

Two questions. Can you post a picture showing how you have your camera mounted? I have mine on the roll bar but there is too much vibration and the picture is pretty wavey and the camera shuts off before getting the whole session half the time. Also, the file size is huge when you get a whole session..... for a clip like you posted here how do you downsize the file so it isn't so large? Are you converting to another format?
    Thanks,
    Steve O'Hara
    Hi Steve,

Gang...whenever possible mount your camera on your bodywork or a panel that is separate or one step removed from the actual framework of the car.

The frame has the most vibration. Panels and bodywork don't have nearly as much vibration.

We simply mount our camera on the shoulder bodywork of the car...to the side of my helmet and slightly rear.

Make sure you are using Lithium or NiMH batteries. We ONLY use Energizer or Duracell. We've seen other brands of NiMH batteries fail from vibration. Duracell and Energizer work like a charm every time.

As for the file size...we edit the videos with iMovie in MAC or Windows Movie Maker in Windows XP to make the movies smaller for posting online. Both of these programs are free programs that come with your computer.

If you have other questions feel free to email us at support@goprocamera.com as our support person is always working but I personally only check this forum every few days.

Thanks all!! - GoPro

Liked: 9

Default Hockeytape?

if you put one or 2 layers of think hockeytape on the plastic mount side attached to your car.. use 2 if you can fit.. and then slide your cam mount in you will find it very nice and snug and secure. fixed all our issues.. ITS AWESOME NOW....
    OK that sounds logical. But what's hockeytape? Since the thickness is what we're after, I'm guessing it's kind of like electrical tape?
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    OK that sounds logical. But what's hockeytape? Since the thickness is what we're after, I'm guessing it's kind of like electrical tape?
    nah, hockey tape is a fabric reinforced tape, sticky on one side (was that too obvious?), and feels like rough cloth on the back
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by GoPro View Post

Then post your videos on http://vscocial.com/sandbox for better quality than YOUTUBE and then you can "embed" the link from the video to your post on this site and the video will show up.

First-check the vsocial not vscocial! That takes you bad places
    second-/sandbox is not a valid link

I can't seem to find any real way into vsocial.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    First-check the vsocial not vscocial! That takes you bad places
    second-/sandbox is not a valid link

I can't seem to find any real way into vsocial.

jim
    Wow...looks like Vsocial may have discontinued it's consumer video hosting.

Try http://www.vimeo.com -- their quality is really good.

And I must say that Youtube's "High Quality" video option is pretty good...so YouTube is not a total loss anymore. We've been impressed.

Thread Information