Liked: 3787

Default News from VIR - 2008

OK Sportsfans, the weather has been beautiful. VIR is still one of the greatest racing facilities in North America.

Four track sessions today for a total of about 4 hours. No official nor unofficial times have yet been posted. I walked up and down pit lane, glanced over shoulders, and even looked at my watch. My 2 cents: It looks like the order is something like Krohn, Baker, Taylor, Miller, Swan, Marcelli, Minor, Bystrom, Vassmer, Clawson... The top ten seems to be running within about a 1.5 second blanket with the fast times being in the low 56s.

The social news I'm sad to report is that the majority of the Fat Boys Racing Team was not able to escape Long Island. Something about an untimely trailer malfunction. But alas, Charles Finelli esq. was able to arrange for his partially assembled car to arrive at VIR this afternoon. Lil Fatboy (Chris Burke) is fairly confident he can finish assembly by the time Charles needs to hit the track Friday afternoon. This situation now negates the chances of Fat Boy Racing repeating last year's feat of crashing two of their cars together on the out lap of the first practice session. All is not lost, Tom Rielly is in town to cheer Finelli on.

The inaugural meeting of the Drivers Without Racecars non-profit support group was held in the veradna at noon today. Jim Morgan was asked to provide counseling for this sad group, and in the meeting he laid out a 12 step recovery program for them to follow. The likes of Jordan, Defer, Novak, Cooper, Finelli, Reilly, Burke, and Inge tried to work through their problems through the use of group therapy and adult beverages. Later in the day, as the group was about to vote in Cole Morgan as member of the year, Finelli was expelled from the group when it was discovered his car had arrived in the paddock.

Chas had to go home with a broken diff, and it appears Phil Lombardi's weekend may have ended with transmission woes. Other than those two disappointments the field of approximately 40 cars should be practicing tomorrow. I know of no car-to-car contact today, no major offs resulting in damage to car. All the kids played real well.

I expected Baker and Krohn to be quick based on earlier reports. They were. I knew little background about Mirl Swan and Jordan Taylor. Mirl is an excellent FA pilot with a Runoffs win(s?) to his credit. He was fast out of the box in his initial outing with a zetec. Mirl is heading up his own effort. Jordan is the son of Wayne Taylor. Wayne has won just about anything that could be won in IMSA. Jordan obviously inherited a bunch of talent. Jon Baytos is engineering and coaching for Jordan.

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Nice reporting..

Keep it coming... and tell mrs. frog to take more pictures this weekend if shes around.. but make them smaller for the web please

anyone know if we are to have speedcast coverage this year ?
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 6

Got Pics?

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    This situation now negates the chances of Fat Boy Racing repeating last year's feat of crashing two of their cars together on the out lap of the first practice session.

The best part was that it was under a local yellow as another GMI car (Gumprecht) had spun off in that corner.

Liked: 12

As always, eFormulaCarNews.com is live trackside and will be covering the event. You can check out our discussion thread below, where Al Craighead will be posting paddock notes and times as they become available.

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1632

We'll have a full report on the site following each race day, as well.
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Liked: 0

Hi gang,

Just a heads up. Full practice 1 results over on EFCN. Jordan Taylor was quickest, edging Jonny Baker and Kyle Marcelli.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Hi all,

The second practice session has just ended at VIR. Norwegian Andersen Racing rookie Anders Krohn posted the fastest lap of the day in the session. Full times are in the EFCN forum and a full report will be posted in the news section shortly.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=7684#7684

Last edited by Purple Frog; 04.19.08 at 12:54 AM.

Hi guys and gals,

Well English driver Jonny Baker will start from the pole in Round One at VIR after edging his Andersen Racing teammate Anders Krohn and ZSports Midwest's Jordan Taylor in morning qualifying session. Full times, as well as an interview with Baker are available in the EFCN Trackside Live discussion thread on eFormulaCarNews.com.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Al Craighead; 04.19.08 at 1:46 PM.
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Evening race fans,

Round one has just concluded here at VIR and scoring the win was Anders Krohn over Jonny Baker and Chris Miller. Full results are in the EFCN Trackside Live discussion thread: http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1632 Full report will be posted on the front-page of EFCN shortly.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Liked: 151

what's up with all the DNF's?

Default WOW!!

.......... AND.... THEIR OFF

Nice!

What a great start to the '08 season. Thanks Frog and Al for all of the info and updates for those of us who cannot be in attendance. It is almost like being there.

Bummer to hear of the damage to those who had the off's and incidents, but glad to hear everyone involved is fine physically.

Can't wait for some videos
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default can someone name all the pinto drivers Race 1 & 2

Curious how they faired.. It looks like

Tim Minor
    &
    Bobby Caldwell

Can any of the pinto drivers voice in there thoughts on pinto vs zetec aside from the low - mid speed corner pull advantage the zetecs have.

Thanks.... and wish I was there.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 106

Default Pinto and dumb flagging

Watching from Oak Tree. ( my car was rented out) 2 Things

1) I really did not see any CLEAR advantage, but flipping a coin I would say Zetec ever so slightly.

2) Major flagging debacle at Oak Tree, I would not have believe it if I didn't see it. It had to be the most incompetent flagging, or lack there of I have ever seen. NOT SCCA flaggers, but track personnel. Fortunately Mike Rand took the necessary steps to correct it for the next session.
    2 cars touch, go off. one had a wheel on the fringe..no flag......no flag.... All in the grand stand screaming at the flagger, who see's this but will not throw a flag,,
    another car goes off sideways into the tire wall and catches FIRE ...NO FLAG.. A spectator jumps the fence runs across the track to the flagger, grabs the fire bottle, and she wont let him take it. Yells at the guy....
    The stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Oh .. yes.. she thew a yellow WHEN the track support Vehicle showed up...

Track Personnel Issue, Not F2000. As I said kudos to the F2000 Staff for their reaction. There was then a flagger placed in the previous station (it was previously empty) and 2 flaggers at oak tree.

Some body got this on their on board?

Default FM TO THE RESCUE

[A spectator jumps the fence runs across the track to the flagger, grabs the fire bottle, and she wont let him take it. Yells at the guy....
    the spectators who jumped the fence were englishmen Tom Gladdis and Charles Hall Formula Mazda competitors. nice kids too... Thanks guys

Default Thank you Anderson Racing

I talked with both Charles & Tom w/ Anderson Racing after thanking them for the help at track side. Very nice young men and BTW pretty quick in the Pro FM ranks. Best of luck to them this year.

2nd
    Thanks to all the Anderson crew & others over at the Oak tree crash seen, They all did a stand up job trying to offer any assistants they could.

Sincerely, A big Thanks again!!!
    Rob Nicholas,

Default Pictures

Mrs. Frog took over 6000 shots. I don't think the Carters will let me post all 6000.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 9:53 PM.

Thousands more to chose from...

a few more...

some more shots:
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 9:52 PM.

assorted pics...

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 9:51 PM.

a few more pictures...

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Mrs. Frog took over 6000 shots.
    She's awesome! Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 210

Really great pictures Mrs. Frog. Please keep posting if you have photo Forum room left.

I have a question though. Did McLaren use up ALL the orange car paint on the planet? Or do orange FC's show up once in a while?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Minor is in a Zetec. Lew Cooper is in a AL Head Pinto. Caldwell, iron head Pinto I think. Not sure which link had the engine breakdown.

Rob Nicholos has the only orange FC I know of. There is a few pictures of it in the previous posts.
    Jeff O

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

tim dunn's zetec is orange as well.

mark d

Liked: 12

Man, Mrs. Frog....awesome shots. I really enjoyed those.

Our man Craighead took a bunch as well, and when combined, I doubt that any series has a better online story of an opening event. Head to EFCN's 'Photos' page to take a look.

What a huge start to the season. Keep an eye out on EFCN for an insider look at this Krohn kid...not a bad debut.
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

The polished silver wheels on Bobby Caldwell's car (#80) are some of the new RTS wheels. I have always liked bright shiny wheels on race cars... bling, bling.

Caldwell had an aluminum head, as did Cooper. Cooper lost a clutch saturday, ending his weekend.

Notice in the first picture, Remy has his right front wheel airbourne coming out of Oak Tree. The kids seem to have a unique (brave) style for going fast in that corner. Almost like late model dirt tracking. They seem to throw the car into the corner and while its sliding towards the corner, they have the throttle matted, and just at the right moment (or not) it hooks up and they shoot (rocket) across the apex. Maybe it will show up in the films.

Some more pictures...

Unless you witness live a F2000 start it's hard to describe ~40 cars charging tightly packed into T1.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 9:50 PM.

Liked: 96

It is good to see that Cole returned the white-framed sunglasses to his mom...
    Trying to decide if the red is an improvement.

Actually, it was cool & classy to have Cole drop the green for the first race.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Default Wow!

Wow! Marcelli's video on eformulacarnews.com is impressive. Like maybe the cars were tied together with short bungee cords.

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewt...efef234c0a7346

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

That was pretty cool, especially Kyle's pass at the end.

The differences between a youngster and someone old enough to be their dad is very pronounced!!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

That excellent pass near the end of the Kyle Marcelli video is on Jordan Taylor, youngest son of Wayne Taylor, brother of Ricky, another young talent, very poised and heads up for a teenager.
    With the top 7 in points after VIR Races 1 & 2 being "new" to the F2000 Championship Series,Krohn-Baker-Audette-Marcelli-Miller-Inge-Taylor, the first driver with experience with us is Noah Bystrom in 8th currently. And don't forget about Juan Pfeiffer, currently 9th in points, and Bobby Caldwell, currently 12th, with Ricardo Vassmer, Tim Minor, Mirl Swan, Tim Dunn, Brian Novak, Jesse Yorio etc etc etc.
    Quite a field, that's for sure.....

Thread Information