Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Default Citation update (a couple of details)

We're working on the 250,000 details that it takes to complete a car. There have been a couple of recent posts on Apex related to some of the items that I've been working on lately:

Shift linkage. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of snaking a push-pull cable from the right side of the car to the left, so I made the torque tube/shift lever in the photo. It lets the 1/4" puch pull cable have a nearly straight run to the stock Suzuki shift lever (flipped inside out). It's all just tacked together right now, but it seems to have good feel.

Steering pot for data. We had the racks built by Titan and had them machine a slot in the end of the pinion to engage the little rotary pot in the photo. The pot has nice little spring clips to eliminate any backlash.

Anyway here are the photos. I'm just keeping my head down and trying to move forward under the assumtion that the finish line does exist, cause I sure can't see it yet.

Brandon

Liked: 553

Clever. I like those ideas and execution.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 995

Brandon,

The torque tube is a great idea! Looks great.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default shifter

Are you going to use any return-to-center springs for your shifter, in addition to those in the gearbox? I found that if I am doing multiple shifts and rest my hand on the lever it won't shift because the weight of my hand is keeping it out of the center range.

Thoughts?

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 0

The torque tube idea may have just solved my shifter problem. I was faced with using an almost 7 foot push-pull cable for my setup.
    Lee Tilton
    1984 Zink F500/600cc power
    2003 SCCA Gulf Coast Region AP Class Champion (FFR Cobra)

Liked: 126

It seems as though you have a hit Brandon. I didn't quite understand your idea when we talked on the phone.

The Yamaha has the gearshift mechanism placed higher than the Suzuki. But I'll look to see if this idea will work on my car.

Rob

I always like solutions that simplify and reduce the parts count. I think that both of these do that, so I put them on here. I'm happy if it helps anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Are you going to use any return-to-center springs for your shifter, in addition to those in the gearbox? I found that if I am doing multiple shifts and rest my hand on the lever it won't shift because the weight of my hand is keeping it out of the center range.
    JM
    I'll have to take a look at this. I think that I could add compression springs (a la Swift) at both ends of the push pull mechanism, but maybe there is a better way.

On my throttle cable, I am planning on "snaking" it from the right side of the car to the left. It has the advantage of being a longer run, 7', (more room to make gentle bends) and a lighter cable. The first cable that I got from MidwestControl has a bit more stiction than I would like. I'm going to try a Teleflex TFXtreme cable. Their propaganda makes it seem like it might work a bit better in this situation. Has anybody used thier TFXtreme cable?

Brandon

Liked: 11

Bike shifters are wierd. We started out with a tube like yours and lost a lot of feel. Worse then that, the slop caused missed shifts, eventually going to a cable. We've re-designed it again this winter, but are sticking w/ the cable. Problem was, it worked, and felt great, on the table.... once underway it was a different story.

Oh, on our 1st design, no cables at all- it was all direct linkage!

I will say that as always, your work looks terrific!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    Bike shifters are wierd. We started out with a tube like yours and lost a lot of feel. Worse then that, the slop caused missed shifts, eventually going to a cable. We've re-designed it again this winter, but are sticking w/ the cable. Problem was, it worked, and felt great, on the table.... once underway it was a different story.

Oh, on our 1st design, no cables at all- it was all direct linkage!

I will say that as always, your work looks terrific!

Thanks for your input! Interesting that you had good feel in the shop and problems on the track. I'll probably give this a shot, but if it gives me trouble on the track plan B will be to snake a cable over to a lever.

I wish I thought that I could learn to shift left handed...Other than symmetry that hand desn't add much value for me .

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post

I wish I thought that I could learn to shift left handed...Other than symmetry that hand doesn't add much value for me .
    When I had my DSR converted from automobile engine/Hewland to motorcycle power, I actually thought it would help to have the shifter in my left hand. I thought that rather than unlearning the H-pattern and learning to push and pull, I would only have to learn to have my left hand do the new task. I was correct. It took no time at all to get comfortable with the shifter in my left hand. (And, I am very strongly right-handed.)

Dave

Liked: 7

I use a SuperXtreme Morse cable from The Chassis Shop in Michigan. It's more flexable and I have also used them on throttle cables on my drag cars with no sticking problems with some tight bends. I run my shifter cable on my F1000 car from the normal right side like a VD and loop it around where the front shocks are mounted and down the left side of the car to the shifter on the motor. I don't use any springs and haven't had any problems with it not shifting or sticking. Like Sean O. was talking about, it does feel better without the car being run. On the track it feels like you can keep pushing it a lot farther than you need to. I thought about putting stops on the shifter lever but was afraid I wouldn't have enough shifter travel sometimes and woluld miss shifts so I just don't try to shove it to the moon.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerry freeman View Post
    I use a SuperXtreme Morse cable from The Chassis Shop in Michigan. It's more flexable and I have also used them on throttle cables on my drag cars with no sticking problems with some tight bends. I run my shifter cable on my F1000 car from the normal right side like a VD and loop it around where the front shocks are mounted and down the left side of the car to the shifter on the motor. I don't use any springs and haven't had any problems with it not shifting or sticking. Like Sean O. was talking about, it does feel better without the car being run. On the track it feels like you can keep pushing it a lot farther than you need to. I thought about putting stops on the shifter lever but was afraid I wouldn't have enough shifter travel sometimes and woluld miss shifts so I just don't try to shove it to the moon.

Jerry
    It looks like the cable from the chassis shop is the same as I'm referring to. Both made by Teleflex. FYI I found a fair bit better price from a boat parts discounter on the web.
    I'm glad to hear you say that this cable has worked well with bends in it.

Liked: 0

Default Left hand shifting becomes second nature

I wish I thought that I could learn to shift left handed...Other than symmetry that hand desn't add much value for me .
    I drove one of those Formula Juniors, manufactured in England, for over ten years and reached down with the "wrong" hand to shift only once....and that was running the car up and down the street the day we got it.

If I ever convert my FC to motorcycle power I will have a left hand shifter....I would not think twice about it.

Dan
    Ingredients: Nothing but Barley, Hops, Water & Yeast.

I considered a left hand shifter, but the left side of the RF94 cockpit was too tight, especially compared to the right side, which has chassis tube and bodywork bump-outs for more hand clearance.

Now that I've experienced the interesting designs and fabrication in F1000, I can see why the DSR guys have been so hooked on it for years. There is an extra dimension of satisfaction getting such a personalized car to the track.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post

Thoughts?

JM
    Jay, I share that concern. Here is a thread with some thoughts and pictures:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25353
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information