Classifieds Super License Brands's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default Cooper Elan First Test. Road Atlanta

Just got home after a good first test at Road Atlanta. More details and pics to follow when I have a chance to let everything sink in. Car ran perfectly all day, even if I was a mobile chicane (hope I manged to stay out of everyones way).

Ben

Liked: 553

Congratulations and great job on the car prep!

Did you have a blast?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 3

Default Awesome news

Congratulations Ben. We missed you at the ARRC last year. Glad to hear you are now to be counted amongst us 'active' F1000 racers.

Hope to see you at a race real soon.

Sean

Classifieds Super License Brands's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Now that I've had time to sleep on it here are a few more details. As you know the car was brand new so I was pretty nervous given the amount of time, energy and money that goes into these cars. I've havn't driven an open wheel car since 2001, and certainly not driven round Road Atlanta before, so a steep learning curve. The first session consisted of just three laps just to check everything out. Nothing leaked, nothing fell off and the motor ran great (self imposed 8k rev limit). I was a bit disheartened about how rusty I felt though. I'm not used to trying to keep out of peoples way, and was anxious to not trip anyone up.

Second session and still just running everything in, taking it easy and trying to familiarise myself with the track. However many times you spectate at a track or even watch on board footage (thanks Sean!) it's always different actualy driving it. Again no problems and a 10k rev limit.

By the third session I was feeling a little better about my driving, but nevertheless keen to keep the car in one piece and try and learn the track. Obviously with every other car out there faster than me that's tricky. I found T2 and T3 particularly tricky. 11k rev limit this time and realise I need ear plugs. Sounds wonderfull though, and heal and toe downshifts sound great as well!

Final session and still conservative on revs. Managed T12 flat just once (I'm sure it's easy flat but I felt I might stray into over confidence and do something silly}. For the record T12 is one of the best corners (from the exit of the chicane to T12) that I've driven round, once you convince yourself that you know where the road goes after the blind crest!

So all in all I'm very happy. Still and awfull long way to go to be competitive (didn't take any times) but I'll get there I'm sure. The Piper looked very quick and came flying past me a few times. I think another test day with less traffic and I'd be comfortable to race. One thing that was interesting is how quick F1000 cars are in a straight line. I'd often let cars past entering the back straight and then reel them in on the long run to the chicane, even with my conservative rev limit.

Looking foward to the next run! These cars are fantastic!
    Ben

*Just looked through my dash display and found my fastest lap at 1:27.80. The rest where all in the 1:30's +. Not sure how accurate that is though.*
    Last edited by Brands; 10.12.08 at 8:51 PM.

Liked: 126

Way to go Ben.

Hope to see everyone at the ARRC.

My number is 07 too - in Northeast Division.

Rob

Liked: 7

Congratulations! Beautiful car. Glad everything worked well. I know it feels bad worrying about being in everyones way but with that car I don't think you will have to worry about that for very long. Hope you will run in Savannah at the end of April. That's my next race. It's only a regional but it's a cool track and good for practice. Good luck and have fun.

Jerry

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

*Just looked through my dash display and found my fastest lap at 1:27.80. The rest where all in the 1:30's +. Not sure how accurate that is though.*

Ben, 127.8 is okay. It only took me 20 yrs at Rd A to get below that, & just barely.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 553

Ben, I agree with Scott. That is a very respectable lap time considering the car's first time out and you've never driven the track.

But, I guess it depends on your yard* stick. If you want to beat Justin Pritchard and others at the ARRC, you'll need to carve a few more seconds off your lap time (which I'm sure you'll do).

Re: Test days with less traffic. Pretty much every open test day at Road Atlanta is packed with cars and short on track time. I've heard recently (from Rick Ross), if you can share a private test day with others for around $300, that's a great deal. You might need to be in the right place at the right time to find that deal, though. Maybe through your employers? :-).

Glad to hear you had a successful outing.

Russ

* A yard is kinda like a meter, but I guess some American thought he could improve upon it.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information