Liked: 1

Default Phoenix Race Works Update

We've moved!

We recently moved our shop location and are getting organized. The shop is a bit more "intimate" than our former 3,000 square foot facility, but is a much more efficient work environment.

Plans are to continue to run the F1K.07 car as much as we can and we are also working on the newest F1000 car. In fact, most of the car is already complete in SolidWorks and we are on the verge of starting construction. We'll have more details...and some computer-generated images soon. For now, here's our updated contact info:

Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    31 W. Lone Cactus Dr, #7
    Phoenix, AZ 85015
    623-581-3222
    623-587-1166 fax

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Liked: 21

Default Cad images for new F1000 from Phoenix Race Works

Here are two images of the new Phoenix F1000 (F1k.08)

You may notice that car is a bit trimmer. We reduced the frontal area of the body work by 16% while increasing the area for the driver’s shoulders and elbows. The cooling system has undergone major improvements in terms of drag as well.

I sent off the cad files for the body plug to the water jet company tonight, so construction has officially started.

I look forward to your questions and comments
    Thanks
    Dustin Wright
    Engineer
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    Last edited by Wright D; 01.07.16 at 7:12 PM.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Good news Dustin and Matt.......

If the new car is anything like the F1K.07....it will be awesome for sure.

The wider shoulder and elbow room will accomodate a wider range of potential drivers, and would be most welcomed. As an owner of a 2007 F1K.07 even an extra inch on each side for shoulder room and elbow room would be nice.

How much wider will be new car be over the 2007 version?

Since I am considered a larger driver, I would think that many more people would have the opportunity to enjoy a larger cockpit area and attract more potential driver/owners to the Phoenix brand.

As always, keep up the great work. As the only owner of an actively driven Phoenix F1k.07 production car, I love it. The car continues to perform and run flawlessly and will be tested again today at ArroyoSecoRaceway in Southern New Mexico.

The best to you two hard working guys. I look forward to the developments of this new car.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 126

This body looks much more aero to me. Lower sidepods, chimney-like sidepod heat exits, etc... Looks like a big step.

Liked: 998

Those side pod extensions or flip outs on the bottom look like tire eaters to me.

Liked: 26

Anyone that puts their tire in there deserves to have it eaten.

Default Tire clearance

John and John,
    The pictures are deceiving, there is actually quite a lot of room between the tire and the wheel flip; about 3" all around.

I have attached a picture that better illustrates the room between the tire and flip up.

RobLav,
    Thanks for the compliment, I think the whole car is a major improvement in the looks department too, but isn't it well known that mothers think their own babies are always the best looking?

Richard,
    The shoulder and elbow areas have been pushed out 0.6 inches on each side(1.2 inches total).

Thanks
    Dustin Wright
    Engineer
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Default I was mistaken

After reading John's post again I realized that I had misinterpreted what he was saying. John was referring the stuff sticking out of the front of the side pod, I thought he was talking about the back.

Thanks
    Dustin Wright
    Engineer
    Last edited by Wright D; 01.28.08 at 10:13 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Default Diff and Suspension

In an effort to reduce labor (complicated tube fitting) we are going to use a fabricated sheet metal suspension and differential carrier. I sent out all the drawings for laser cutting today; the laser cutter will get them on Monday.

Everything in the picture below weighs in at 15.87 lbs. Add in some bolts, spring dampers, a differential and tensioning clevis, and it all weighs in at less then 35 lbs. The TRE / Williams differential is by far the heaviest component in the assembly.

Add in two fittings, and the front half becomes a dry sump oil tank.

I will share with you guys how much the laser cutting will cost, and how much welding time it will take.

Thanks
    Dustin Wright
    Engineer
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Default Laser Cutting and Forming Cost

The laser cutter is going to charge just $324.25 to both cut and form all of the steel parts for the whole car, not too bad. It will cost 183.45 to laser cut and form all of the pices for the rear diff/ suspenion/ dry sump tank/ rear ming mount assembly.
    Add in the rest of the turned steel parts, two aluminum bearing carries, tensioning clevis, jigging and welding, and I think the cost per rear assembly (less diff, rockers, and shocks) should be less then 800.00. Not bad for all of the jobs that the assembly takes care of. I will let you guys know how the fabrication and cost of this part evolves as we will be welding the parts together shortly.

Dustin Wright
    Engineer
    www.phoenixraceworks.com
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Liked: 151

are those suspension mounts welded or bolted on?

Wren,
    mounts are welded on. I know what everybody is going to say "why don’t you use a shear block, don’t they save the chassis in a crash.” My response is that I often see the rod ends at the end of the a-arm fail before the shear blocks bolts do. Even when those bolts are 1/4". I did not think that the added parts and weight gave any benefit to the crash worthiness of the assembly.

Dustin Wright
    Engineer
    www.phoenixraceworks.com
    Last edited by Wright D; 02.28.08 at 8:21 PM.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Thread Information