Thread: Engine Tech?

Liked: 16

Default Engine Tech?

Hi,

There has been a lot of discussion on engine rules but not much on engine tech. At the ARRC the only tech we had was weight and I saw a guy walking around with a tape measure.

I would like to see at least the top 3 guys have the cams, compression and ports checked at next year's June Sprints and ARRC. I'm sure Richard Cottrill and George Dean would not have a problem checking the engines at the track.

I know we can protest someone, but it's so much less antagonistic just to have tech and settle any doubts.

What are your guys opinions/thoughts?

Thanks,

J.R.O

Liked: 710

J.R.,
    A group of us have a conference call with George next week and one of the things I'd like to request of him is a set of guidelines for a tech inspector to check some of the easy things on a bike engine.
    While I'm in total agreement with you on the need to police the rules we have, I doubt that any region will go that far, except at the Runoffs. I don't know what you guys experience in DSR but even in FC, I've never seen so much as a valve cover removed at any race except the Runoffs. Having said that, it would be nice to set a precedent of no cheating early on in the growth of F1000.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Who pays for the engine teardown & reassembly if Tech requires it?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default I agree Mike,

I 2nd having easy guidlines in place for tech.. maybe a step forward and build a guidline booklet put together and reviewed and approved by lets say, George dean, arnie loyning, and kws, or others... then sent off to every scca region tech.. And also competitors having a copy that they can bring forward would be good.

This may possibly if anything cut down some of the people who will go to extremes and cheat because they feel no one can adequately disqaulify them.

What do people think about adding to the scca rules for FB that every competitor must have present or at least if requested to bring forward a copy of the manufacturers complete service manual to sccan tech ?
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Who pays for the engine teardown & reassembly if Tech requires it?
    The reason the current system for mechanical protests is in place is that the issue of payment is resolved as part of the protest (the posting of a bond by the protester).

The Runoffs adds the requirement of (possible) tear down for the top cars and the expenses are the responsibility of the competitor. For this to happen at the Sprints or the ARRC, the sponsoring regions would need to include the requirement in their Supplementary regulations. They would then need to insure that they have the required expertise available at Tech (that could include asking for help from a knowledgeable outside person, but that might imply an extra expense for the region or a "tax" on the entrants).

Dave

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    What do people think about adding to the scca rules for FB that every competitor must have present or at least if requested to bring forward a copy of the manufacturers complete service manual to scca tech ?
    Nick:

It is already in the rules.

D.2. Engine internals and compression ratio must remain stock. The competitor must present, on demand, an original factory manual for the engine to allow compliance verification.

Dave

Liked: 11

Yes, there needs to be a simple set of tech procedures. Checking compression, for instance, is easy and quick. A boroscope can tell about most everything else (but you need an expert). There are a few things left people can do but they don't net much performance gains.

How about a weight check after qual? We asked them to do it at the ARRC, they said ok then didn't do it. Lots of cars out there are under weight...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thread Information