Contributing Member rcrockett69's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default First Pics of Speads RM07 F1000

These are the first pictures of the new RM07 bodywork. If you have any questions about the scheduled arrival of the cars contact Richard Cottrill at 303.776.8855 or 303.350.6066.

Contributing Member

Default lower scoop

finally a car with the air intake at a reasonable height.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]William Pelton

Default Stohr F1000 air intake fine with me...

Quote Originally Posted by willpelton View Post
    finally a car with the air intake at a reasonable height.
    Hmmm...somehow I don't think I am going to be too upset about the air intake on my new F1000 when it arrives next month. I dig it...sort of retro modern design on the intake. Needless to say it'll be a real head turner which is important for a sponsored car.

Liked: 11

That does look sweet.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 1

Default Beautiful Car!

When it looks fast sitting still, it's gotta be good!

Contributing Member

Default air intake

tall scoops equal tall drag. tall drag equal going slower than a more slippery design. This point may or may not be proven in the months to come. If I had bought a Stohr I suppose would defend my purchase decision by advocating every aspect of the cars design. Since a van deiman left the tall scoop cars in the straightaways last weekend perhaps this is a valid issue with regard to drag? I have seen and sat in the Stohr car in person at PRI. I liked the car but found the air intake disproportianately tall and for no reason. It makes the car look shorter and the drop over the back half very steep. I'm waiting for someone to say the air is cooler 10 inches higher on the track or that there is less debris coming in? If I buy a car that has an air intake that I feel is too tall Mr. Cuttoff Wheel and I will be going to work.

Liked: 11

I suspect you may see a new version of the bodywork with a lower, perhaps functional, air scoop. The package might be even better if it included a set of 6 & 8" wheels. If Stohr does not provide it I'd also bet you would see some owners doing it themselves. Who knows.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default body work

It looks to me that the body on the shop floor is not the same on thhe car,it is lower and also has air scoops on the side.

Liked: 710

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    I suspect you may see a new version of the bodywork with a lower, perhaps functional, air scoop. The package might be even better if it included a set of 6 & 8" wheels. If Stohr does not provide it I'd also bet you would see some owners doing it themselves. Who knows.
    SSSSHHHHH!
    Don't give Lee any ideas... us homebuilders need every advantage we can get!

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    It looks to me that the body on the shop floor is not the same on thhe car,it is lower and also has air scoops on the side.
    The red bodywork shown in this thread is the Speads, not Stohr.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

I dont know that the bigger wheels is necessarily slower. The argument is they are bigger and creating more drag but I just dont know. I tested a zetec at Roebling at the end of 02 in 02 zetec configuration completely but with the 8 and 10's. Roebling is definitely a high speed aero dependant track and we went at least a second quicker than with the 6 and 8's. Food for thought

Contributing Member

Default speads website

Does SPEADS maintain a website? If yes what's the address? thanks

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

http://www.racingconcepts.info/

Also Bob Schader forwarded the following pic's
    Last edited by Mike Devins; 03.27.13 at 7:02 PM.

Contributing Member

Default bob schader

Is Bob Schader a member on this forum? Nice car and looks like Speads has been racing awhile.

Liked: 1886

bre86:

Drag from wheels is most definetely proportional to width, height, and contact patch. Given the same general shaping, a wider tire will always produce more drag.

There are many factors that help determine tire drag - width, height, shoulder shape, solid or grooved contact patch, wheel shape, etc., so in making any blanket statement, it needs to be assumed that you are speaking apples to apples comparisons.

In your running of an '02 Zetec, the better lap times don't surprise me too much - after all, you did have more HP than a Pinto to play with! But I wonder if those times were primarily due to greater corner speeds rather than a higher top end. I would surmise that it was from greater corner speeds - I doubt highly that the few more HP you had was anywhere sufficient to overcome the higher tire aero drag.

This is what will make this class both fun and frustrating - different tracks may very well demand switching tire widths ( I'm pretty positive that it will), and for the guys who love to tinker and have the budget, it will add some enjoyment. For those who don't have the budget, it could be very frustrating.

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

I am not sure if I fully understand your response. I was comparing a zetec to a zetec and not zetec to a pinto if that was what you were thinking. I agree that the lap time was from corner speed because I also agree that the bigger tire will create more drag hence certainly not increasing straight line speed on its own. I dont remember exactly because it has been 4 or 5 years but I believe our top speed was the same so the bigger tires did not hurt us down the straight for top speed because we were carrying more speed through the corners. The only thing I was trying to get at was earlier a comment was made that Road Atlanta and Roebling are fast, high speed tracks and the name of the game would be low drag. And I was saying then when we did a back to back at Roebling we were faster with the 8 and 10's vs the 6 and 8's meaning the higher drag was worth the time gained by higher corner speeds. If you were to add up all of the time a car spent braking, turning, and exiting a corner versus going down a straight there would be far more time spent in the corners than actually on the straight so hopefully that will be able to help some people as they try to build better and better mousetraps.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Will,

Bob is the importer of the Speads to the US, I do not know if he is a member of the forum. He has been a customer of mine for the last few yars and he forwarded me the pic's so I posted them. My experience has been mainly with his DSR.

Mike Devins

Liked: 1886

Andy;

You are correct that in general, the bigger tires will give higher cornering speeds and therefore better lap times. This is pretty much how it will go on tracks where you either never hit top speed, or don't spend too much time at it.

However, some tracks - St. Louis as an example - will favor the lower drag because you spend so much time topped out. At that track, the more you can trim the car out and still negotiate the infield, the better your times will be.

The oval at Pocono may also be one of those situations, and quite possibly Road America.

It'll be fun to watch it all get sorted out!

Is Bob Schader a member on this forum? Nice car and looks like Speads has been racing awhile.
    I am now. Speads has been doing this for a while, about 5 years in europe. The RM02 won virtually every championship it was allowed to compete in. The RM07 adds a lot of specifics for the american market and should continue the winning ways of the RM02.It will be on the track in May.

Default Rear wing assembly?

Could someone please provide some insight into the pros and cons of the stepped rear wing on the Speads? The Stohr and the Phoenix do not use this design. I remember the F1 cars adapting this shape to comply with new aero rules a couple of years ago, but can't remember if the rule was to reduce wing size or alter its location? Is there a benefit to having the top element further forward?

Speads web site: http://www.racingconcepts.info/index.htm

Dave
    Springstein, Madonna
    way before Nirvana
    there was U2 and Blondie
    and music still on MTV...

Bowling for Soup, 1985

Liked: 23

So, is it possible that there is so much interest in F1000 because precisely of questions and thus design decisions like these? And could it be that FF & FC are losing manufacturer interest possibly because at this stage of the formula pretty much most of the nuts have been cracked and offer no real engineering challenge and a new mouse trap just won't be that much better than whats already there? Yes, the Piper is a new FF and in good hands is indeed national champion...but can a manufacturer warrant building a new chassis to be really only be evolutionarily better at this level of the sport? If you can only make a car marginally better than whats already been optimized over the last 15 years (except of course to possibly make it safer), why bother? Are the new UK formula ford chassis' really advancing engineering wise year over year? It would seem to me as the F1000 manufacturers narrow in on the best design trade-offs for the formula will they continue to evolve their designs? I don't know, just posing questions for discussion.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member

Default welcome

Welcome Mr. Schader glad you joined us. Phoenix and Stohr keep us posted on their cars ,perhaps you would like to let us know as things progress with yours. You mention that your car will beon the track in May. Can you let us know what track and will it be a public test? Thanks

Default West

Has anyone seen photos or heard of any progress with the West F1000?

I havent heard or seen anything. They rarely update their website, either. My guess is the best source of info would be to call PVM. They may know.
    Ken

Contributing Member

Default adding to the gossip

I talked to the WEST guy at PRI and ask him about the F1000 class and what their intentions were. I was told that WEST was continuing to concentrate on DSR and that they were going to "wait and see if F1000 is going anywhere". I think they would build a premier car if they did. Their Dsports cars are really nice I thought. The fellow I spoke with expressed concerns over the engine being used as a stress member on an F1000 that shall remain nameless but was on display at the show . I don't know enough about the designs to have an opinion either way. He said if WEST built an F1000 that it would have a very different approach to the back half.

Funny. The only F1000 at the show didn't have the engine as a stressed member.

I hope they do build a F1000. The more the merrier. Of course, designing something from the ground up versus modifying the engine cradle is a pretty big step.

The designs I look forward to seeing? The Citation, the Van Diemen kit, and especially the Piper. I saw a Piper FF and few weekends ago and was quite impressed.
    Ken

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    The only F1000 at the show didn't have the engine as a stressed member.
    There were at least two FB marques at PRI.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Welcome Mr. Schader glad you joined us. Phoenix and Stohr keep us posted on their cars ,perhaps you would like to let us know as things progress with yours. You mention that your car will beon the track in May. Can you let us know what track and will it be a public test? Thanks
    Hi will, our target is to be at the double national in Dallas May 4-6.

Any more info on the speeds 07 fb car the web site hasn't changed all year. Has anyone been running a Speed07 this year?
    The new chassis looks great just wondering what the performance is like compared to the conversions or Storh's or other factory cars
    Any info would be great

There was a Speads F1000 at Topeka but no one was around to talk to by the time I got a chance to stop by. Price was something like $32-33k (roller, I suppose).
    Rill Tech Race Prep & Parts, www.rilltechracing.com. Web site has nothing except a pic of the car.

Thread Information