Default Alonso to Ferrari in 08!

Here's some juicy news - taken from a British tabloid:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...n-ar44161.html
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

...and the beautiful thing is that Ferrari will effectively pay the bulk of the remaining McLaren fine while acquiring McLaren's problem driver who, as it turns out is not only a back-stabber, but is also generally slower than his co-driver.

Going forward Ron Dennis will not only lose a problem, he will likely reduce his budget outlay for drivers with his next choice.

This may become the new definition in Webster's for "IRONY".

Liked: 201

it would be very interesting to see who gets the second mclaren seat if this happens....pedro? nico? gary? massa? sutil?

Liked: 9

Default Still in the rumor phase

The rest of the internet peanut gallery is still holding their breath believing that Flavio has not folded his hand yet.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Default Davidson a Possiblity

I wonder if Davidson is not a possiblity for the McLaren #2.

I have a hard time believing the whole Todt/Brawn scuffle. Those two were too successful for too long together.

I also suspect that Sir Frank will sell Rosberg to Toyota for 3 years worth of motors or something similar. That will be good for Toyota and bad for Willams. Nico's stock is too expensive for the privateer to afford to keep around.

I'd also suspect that Pedro and Fernando are two Spanish folks Ron would like to see sent packing.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Liked: 96

From Planet F1:
    "On a personal note, P-F1 believes Alonso would do well at Ferrari... after all he already knows all about the car and how to set it up."

That was the best line!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Beartrax, I agree that was a great line. So this could potentially start silly season....
    my predictions for next year....

Ferrari
    Kimi Alonso

McLaren
    Hamilton Massa de la Rosa (could be either Massa or de la Rosa but in all honesty it will be neither and I just can't figure out who yet....)

Renault
    Heikki Massa Piquet (could be either of the two brazilians but not both)

Williams
    Ralf Fisi

Spyker (just about confirmed)
    Sutil Rodriguez

Torro Rosso (confirmed)
    Vettel Bordais

Red Bull (confirmed)
    Webber Coulthard

Super Aguri
    Sato Davidson

Honda (confirmed)
    Button Barrichello

BMW (confirmed)
    Heidfeld Kubica

Prodrive (silence is deadly)
    DOA

Toyota
    Glock Trulli

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Andy,
    You forgot Rosberg!

Personally, I doubt that Pedro DLR will be racing anywhere next year. And I hope that Massa doesn't commit career suicide with the Toy team. Anyone remember former race winner Barrichello?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 25

Default Ralfie!

Andy:
    I don't see Frank Williams taking Ralfie, even as a deal with Toyota. I respect Williams as someone with a very strong sense of competition that would prevent him from doing that. I think he really wants his team to succeed on the track. Maybe Fisi, but that does not seem so likely to me, either.
    - Frank C

WHOOPS! I completely forgot Rosberg. I meant to have him at Williams with a Ralf and Fisi as the second seat (like I had for McLaren and Renault)

Time will tell

Liked: 91

Massa to Toyota, end of his career.

I would like to see Nick Heidfeld at McLaren, he has payed his due at poor teams and deserves a chance with a front runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Morgan View Post
    Massa to Toyota, end of his career.

I would like to see Nick Heidfeld at McLaren, he has payed his due at poor teams and deserves a chance with a front runner.
    i think massa has blown his chances with the red team , he has dropped the ball too many times and bean out done by lewis , if i was him id be looking at nascar!(joking)
    78 lola t 540
    95 Integra ITA
    89 volvo 740 turbo

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Without a real developmental driver like Alonso next year McLaren will be back to fighting for 4th place finishes. The shine will come off Lewey and that will be that for him. He'll be Button Part Deux.

One reason Schumacher was so successful was because he won most of his races before he even arrived at the race. He was the best developmental driver in F1 until Alonso came around. One reason Renault sucks this year is neither Fisi or Hekki are good developmental drivers.

All the real greats were excellent developmental drivers: Senna, Prost, Lauda, Stewart, Clark, etc. Second tier guys like Mansell, Piquet, Kimi, had years where they were winners but they also had dry years where they looked like also rans. The great developmental drivers were always contenders for a win every year.

Right now there is only one really good developmental driver in F1. His name is Fernando Alonso. That's why Ferrari (and everybody else) wants him.
    Firman F1000

Thomas, I agree 100%, very well said

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default me too

Hey guys.....
    i third what thomas said

i do not agree with everything that alonso has done off track, but - you can say the same for some of the great ones too.

F1 is NOT club racing - it is a verrrrrrrry cut throat,
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Bring Jacques back - and put him in the Ferrari. Now that would produce some fireworks...

Default Still Waiting...............

From the Paddock Talk Rumor bin:

Fernando Alonso in Japan says his code of silence with McLaren boss Ron Dennis is now over.

Dennis told the World Motor Sport Council earlier this month that he had not spoken to his Spanish driver since an argument in Hungary.

But Alonso, 26, was quoted on Thursday as telling the German news agency 'sid': "I chatted with him at the last race (in Belgium) when I saw him in the hotel."

He added: "I do not want to answer every day what everyone has been saying about me; I will not lose time on that."

Alonso also cooled widespread speculation that he will almost certainly leave the Woking based team to join Ferrari or Renault next year. "For next year I have a contract with this team and I don't see any problem on that," he told reporters in the paddock. "I won four races, I make some good podiums and I am fighting for the world championship so everything is going quite well for me and I am happy."
    Oh right, Fred, whatever you say..... This weekend better be a good race as I think the high of this melodrama has worn off.

BTW, with some strategically placed hair gel, he could be an above average Elvis don't ya think?
    Last edited by Ted Idlof; 09.27.07 at 5:18 PM.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    Right now there is only one really good developmental driver in F1. His name is Fernando Alonso.
    Then why did Fred feel the need to steal Ferrari's set-ups? Schumi pulled some *******an moves from time to time, but even his detractors gave him the utmost respect. Someone who steals confidential, private information, whether for money or fame, is just small and pathetic.

Default Fred didn't do the stealing

Then why did Fred feel the need to steal Ferrari's set-ups?
    From the way the story has gone down so far (but who knows what the truth really is), Fred was not directly involved in the transfer of the information; whatever he saw or cared about, he came across 2nd hand as a member of McLaren. And the documents were engineering design, probably not much that would directly help with setup since that changes from track to track, day to day and driver to driver. Fred has shown he's very good at set up and we'll all applaud him for that. But he also shows he's small and pathetic when he drives Hamilton off the road and ignores the team as he takes the checkered flag.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 309

I stayed up late last night to watch qualifying for the Fuji F1 race, and was surprised at how much chatter they gave to "driver musical chairs". It was enough to make your head swim!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    Fred was not directly involved in the transfer of the information; whatever he saw or cared about, he came across 2nd hand as a member of McLaren.
    Mostly agree - except wasn't Fred getting emails from Pedro de la Rosa in answer to specific questions about Ferrari set-ups that he was asking of de la Rosa, with de la Rosa explaining in the emails that the data were valid because they came from Stepney?

Default difference in drivers attitudes

THE SPORT CAN DO WITHOUT THE LIKES OF ALONZO. fROM WHAT i HAVE SEEN HAMILTON IS THE REAL DEAL. I HAVE GRANDCHILDREN COMING UP THROUGH KARTS. IF ANY ONE OF THEM ACTED LIKE ALONZO THE KART WOULD DISSAPEAR. MAYBE I AM A CURMUDGEON AND WISH FOR THE CORINTHIAN ATTITUDES TO REAPPEAR AND WHEN I WATCH LEWIS HAMILTON DRIVE AND SPEAK AND CARRY HIMSELF IN A PROFFESIONAL MANNER I HAVE HOPE. WE HAVE WAY TOO MANY "ALONZO'S" IN THE AMATUER RANKS NOW, WE DO NOT NEED ANY MORE. IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK THAT MAY WE ALL EMULATE THE FUTURE FORMULAE ONE CHAMPION.
    CHESTER CARTER SF REGION.

Default Swerving Starts

Chester:
    Your feelings are honorable, but I don't think the evidence completely supports them. I have noticed that Hamilton seems to be an enthusiastic practitioner of the Schumacher swerve at the starts. I don't like that. I also don't think the various complaints by both Hamilton and Alonzo make them look like role models for kids. Kimi actually may have a better attitude.
    - Frank C

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    Kimi actually may have a better attitude.
    I'm pretty sure there isn't much in this thread further from the truth that that.

They are all primadonnas, and that's how they got where they are. It's just the international version of NASCAR, and a side-show at that. I love Formula 1, but this year has been a real embarrassing spectacle for motorsports to anyone even remotely watching.

The only thing good to come out of this season is the debut of one VERY special driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    The only thing good to come out of this season is the debut of one VERY special driver.
    Kubica?

Default Yesterday's embarassment

but this year has been a real embarrassing spectacle for motorsports to anyone even remotely watching.
    Well at least the embarassing stuff was on the track yestertday and mostly attributable to the very difficult conditions. One side show I enjoyed was Phil Massa risking it all at the end going for one more useless point.

Say what you will about Kimi, he deserved the hard charger award coming from the back. In those conditions, he embarassed 90% of the field.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 4

For a race that got off to a lousy start... It ended up having one of the more exciting endings... Kimi passing DC, Closing in on the Renualt, passing the Renualt and getting re-passed. The dualing between Massa & Kubia was great too. A got to say at the Massa at the begining was under-impressive in the rain. losing it a couple times behind the saftey car. Kimi has the same tires and had no such issues.

The Japanese coverage was lousy, always cutting way from duels. I would of loved to the the Massa/Kubia duel in it's entirity. Not often we see, side by side wheel to wheel dicing in F! these days.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by racer27 View Post
    For a race that got off to a lousy start... It ended up having one of the more exciting endings... Kimi passing DC, Closing in on the Renualt, passing the Renualt and getting re-passed. The dualing between Massa & Kubia was great too. A got to say at the Massa at the begining was under-impressive in the rain. losing it a couple times behind the saftey car. Kimi has the same tires and had no such issues.

The Japanese coverage was lousy, always cutting way from duels. I would of loved to the the Massa/Kubia duel in it's entirity. Not often we see, side by side wheel to wheel dicing in F! these days.

couldnt have said it better myself!
    78 lola t 540
    95 Integra ITA
    89 volvo 740 turbo

Default Kimi's Attitude

Ok, Doug - maybe attitude is not the right word for what is more favorable about Kimi. What I was thinking was that he was not much of a complainer and there are not many quotes of him saying things like "Mommy likes him better!" and "He pushed me first!" I don't think his behavior in bars makes him a great overall role model, but at least he is not a whiner. I think all three of them are very good.
    - Frank C

Liked: 49

A nice opening at Toyota for someone, now that Ralf has been shown the door ( 3 years late). You'd have to think that Alonso, Hamilton and Kimi are all on the same talent level, just have different personal ways of going about it. Hamilton and Alonso have probably been hounded too much by the media this year and have been over and mis-quoted. This has made it hard to believe too much of what is reported. Ron Dennis is an enigma wrapped up in a riddle and so probably Alonso didn't know what to make of him, leading to the breakdown.

How about: Alonso to Renault
    Piquet Jr. to Toyota (gain experience)
    Button to McLaren
    Fisico to Honda?

Quote Originally Posted by racer27 View Post
    I would of loved to the the Massa/Kubia duel in it's entirity.
    Me too . . . and yet you can get more dicing, more action, more excitement on any Saturday or Sunday in the club racing we do . . .

here's massa's on baord of the battle. Watch it now before the FOM takes it off you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp9da...uUMwaPpRNP7SyG

My son just sent me that clip and another and I sort of retract my earlier comment. I've watched them a few times and I just keep thinking, Wow. That was really going at it. Great stuff.

Liked: 4

HERE IS THE BROADCAST VIEW - Mostly from outside the car...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8LS...related&search=
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 1

Default Bump and grind

I wonder if those boys had a beer afterwards? There was was a lot of talent as well as luck in that, I think they were lucky on two counts, good track, and it was wet, you can't do that in the dry! but it still took balls
    Roger

Liked: 5

Default KIMI' S ATTITUDE

I AM NOT SURE KIMI HAS AN ATTITUDE. AT LEAST NOT ONE THATS VISIBLE. HE IS THE EPITOME OF FINNISH STOICNESS. THERE IS NO DOUBT OF HIS SKILLS THOUGH. AS FOR THE SWERVING STARTS IF YOU WILL NOTICE THEY ARE DOING STANDING STARTS FROM A STAGGERED GRID. UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH DECLARING YOUR PATH EARLY AS LONG AS ONLY ONE DIRECTION CHANGE IS MADE. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SIXTY CYCLE HUM SOME OF THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD ADOPT. I HAVE N OTICED THAT THIS PRACTICE HAS PASSED ON DOWN TO THE AMATUER POPULACE. IT DOES KEEP SUSPENSION FABRICATERS BUSY DURING THE SLOW SEASON.
    CHESTER CARTER SF REGION

Liked: 238

Spectacular! Kubica's quote: "We made a bit of action and at the end we laughed."

Jim
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Thread Information