Liked: 0

Default Carbon Fibre Reinforcement

Wanted to pose a general question to those of you who have been around the block a few times with tech inspectors, and although I'm not going to eloquently quote the GCR verbatim, it essentially states that with respect to bodywork, the use of parts with carbon reinforcement is prohibited. Understand the intent of that one I believe, but suppose a guy has a big main body section of an older Reynard which is in pretty decent shape but has a small crack or weak spot here or there and he wanted to throw a small strip of CF on the underside of the body in a few places to beef things up a little bit...Would he likely encounter a hassle in tech, or would they understand that since the original fiberglass body was still intact and in its original form, there really was no unfair advantage provided by the patch and thus let it slide?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Depends very much on the tech inspector.

But a general rule of thumb is if it says it is not allowed, do not try it.

Eventaully it will come back to bite you.

Use some fiberglass or kevlar(where it is allowed)

Besides, carbon is not that much better for a patch.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Carbon fiber

You have nothing to gain if you try, except constant worry. If the tech inspector finds it, he should disallow the car. The GCR is straightforward. It doesn't say anything about "small amounts of carbon fiber can be used to strengthen bodywork." I can almost guarantee that, if it came to the stewards, it would be disallowed.

The only possible way would be to claim that it is used for cockpit intrusion protection...so if it was over the engine compartment, you'd be SOL.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    ...and oftentimes steward
    Larry Oliver

Woven s-glass is damn stiff. Use that and forget about CF. It will get you tossed.

Right on guys, thanks, glad I asked I'll find some other material to make it happen...

Thread Information