Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 2

Default An Opinion

I have a comment on all of this from my own perspective. Have been rebuilding an RF 2000, good car, the right parts, all the potential. During this process I have considered the MC deal and the ZETEC. To make this comment limited I will say that the MC deal, in my opinion, is for the pioneers and home builders at this point. Don't get me wrong it will be big someday and I am all for the progress. My problem with the ZETEC is what approaches $20,000 (I am not here to argue cost, once again my opinion) for the conversion of a good, late model VD done professionally. Even with significant reduced maintenance it will take years to recover the 20. I personally do not want to invest another 20K +/- in a FC where rules are presently generally undefined and the present performance level difference is very limited to undefined and then only by the best drivers and teams. SO, the Pinto, even though a more expensive engine to maintain (that is no brainer), is where I want to be at this time and let evolution go on at whatever pace it tends to go. My point mainly being that others that will race and support this class (reg./natl.) are made up basically of Pinto guys that may not have an additional 20K to keep up and/or want to spend it on an engine update. If the Pinto, at this point in time is not kept generally competitive by the powers that be, those same powers will systematically eliminate the very core of this class, not due to maintenance cost, but due to those presently involved not having or wanting to spend the $ for the other engine and the conversion BS involved.
    racehailey

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

thomas,
    unlike your west coast pals, we in the SE do not belive in PC, I thought your first reference to the "Greatest country Song" was well within bounds.

Default engines

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    Go Horvath
    Now I'm speechless.

Liked: 1

I destroyed a 6" 12 spoke rim any 4sale.

Charles Finelli

As for Pinto/Zetec, those who think they are losing a podium will convert to Zetec the rest will weigh the cost to go from 17th to 12th. Lets have a good time.

Charles Finelli
    Still looking for 6" 12 spoke

Will we see the Horvath family at Lime Rock?? The more you play the better you get.

Charles Finelli

Default Zetec v. Pinto

You guys are a great bunch. But Lime Rock is too far away. Vaughn and I are both rookies in this sport, and we can get seat time around here. Nelson Ledges is this weekend, Dave W will be there, and we're ready.
    Plus we will be on the Hoosier tires. Our 97VD was born for Hoosiers, not Hankooks. The camber is just wacky with the radial tires, and I have a hunch that the camber change in bump is just as wacky.
    We probably have 10 race weekends on the Pinto motor, and as you know this is our first full year with the car. So I don't have a lot to say about Zetec v. Pinto. We could freshen the motor, but my feeling is that the radial tires are holding our car back the most.

I am not the one to talk to about camber and such BUT radials are the future and they are very different than the Hoosiers and Goodyears. Vaughn is doing very well for his 1st year and probably should NOT be going back and forth. You may consider getting a 99VD and putting a Zetec in it and commit full time next year to F2000, it is the best bang for the buck, SCCA can be abusive. In my opinion the Hankooks can last longer than the Bias tires and if on a budget the hankook guys can get you a good set of seconds from all the young rich kids.

Looking forward to seeing you at the FatBoy tent, come over and join the circus anytime.

Charles
    'Full of worthless advice'
    Finelli

Need a 6" 12 spoke OZ rim

Liked: 0

There is a reason you don't see Jongbloods and Kodiaks being used for anthing but rains.
    www.frisbyracetire.com
    Chicago, Las Vegas
    Avon, Hoosier, Goodyear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information