Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 202

Default To Summarize

OK guys, let me see if I've got this straight:

THREE FF-based classes at the ARRC, all on hard tires (see previous definitions of "hard").
    All cars are GCR legal FFs (1100 pounds?) and must use track fuel.

. CF - '84 and earlier, outboard on at least one end
    . CFX - '84 and earlier, inboard on both ends (the Tweeners)
    . FFX - '85 & later, but still on the hard tires

(Oops - forgot that all Swift DB-1s and it's relatives go into FFX.)

I'm using "FFX" (FF eXperimental) instead of "SF" (SpecFord) because it's easier for y'all to put the designation on the car and we don't want to create confusion with FS (Formula Super) which WILL be in the same race.

At the very least, "No stickers on the race grid". I'll get with our Tech/Grid people and see how much a PITA it is to mark tires for 25 cars (which is what I'm expecting from this). If they're willing, we'll go with a "race on what you qualified" rule and mark the tires.

And if you DO bring 25 cars, I can also pretty much guarantee a split start (or a split grid) if that's what you want. Remember that you'll be qualifying on Friday (11/9) with ASR, CFC, FB, FE, and FS. FE drops out of the mix for Saturday's race (they race alone on Sunday).

If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't believe I'll have any problem selling the concept to the ARRC Committee. And yes, it IS good to be king...

Butch Kummer
    Atlanta Region Competition Director
    2007 ARRC Committee Chairman
    Last edited by GT1Vette; 05.03.07 at 12:24 PM. Reason: forgot the DB-1 clause
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Butch,
    My last suggestion was to include the pre-'84 cars in CF and only have 2- 1600 classes. I really dont anticipate seeing very many tweeners. I have checked the CFR results and Rand checked the Northern results and they all must be hiding in barns under snow or something.
    Other then that, everything seems to be good.

John

Mike, dont give away my CF ride just yet...

Liked: 202

Default Three Classes, Take It or Leave It

If no Tweeners show, we don't invite them back for 2008. If Tweeners show and run roughshod over the CF cars, we keep them separate. If quality Tweeners (and drivers) show and run competitively with the CFs, we THEN think about combining the classes in the future.

If we go ahead and combine them now, the threat of even one Tweener showing up will no doubt keep some of the CF guys at home, and I REALLY don't want to do that. In an event with a $100,000 budget, three more trophies (that may or may not get picked up) ain't gonna break the bank.

CF, CFX, FFX. One of the most challenging race tracks in the US and the right time of the year for all you Snowbirds. Time to put up or shut up, guys!
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Butch,
    Just to recap...
    hard tires
    race on qual tires
    track fuel
    3 - 1600 classes

sounds like a plan and you are the man to get it done.

Thanks for your effort in this, now it is up to us, the FF community, to support your efforts and show up and race.

I am sure we can talk PF into throwing a party sat night. He should feel safe in bringing Fergie back to the track as "the G-ville Baller" wont be there... but the ducks might be in for a long winter. They might end up migrating North...lol

John

Liked: 0

Default CF in the PNW

Mike,
    Yes to all those Crossle' models. Plus a rare one - the only Crossle' 46 ever built! Originally a 2-litre, then converted to the then FF, now CF. The 46 is owned by James Hepburn of Vancouver BC. Car is located in Burien WA and is maintained by Jack Scher and myself.
    Ken
    Ken

Default i'm gettin a woody!

I haven't posted on here much in a while and don't know a lot of you.
    I'm planning on getting the old WDF2-K (K stands for nearly nothing WDF2 remaining!) out of the balls (moth, that is!) this summer and coming back to play. A real field somewhere would be great, even if my win at the first ARRC being robbed can't be forgotten.
    I've been looking other places since track time in CF is sooooo limited these days, but if we run the Dunlops at the ARRC and we use the same tires at the Vintage CF Level, then development time starts making sense. Fred Clark (Caracal FV builder) has been telling me about a South Florida Vintage group and they are requiring the Dunlops on CF.
    I'll be honest with you guys, at 56, I've ALMOST convinced myself Penske isn't going to call me for a test in an Indy car, so..............I guess I'm just lookin to have some fun. Track time and "cost per hour" are more important than which tire we use.
    It'll be great to renew the Duckwars and even see you again, Mike Rand! Steve Robertson and I email often and it'll be great to come run with him as the master. That last sentance has to be read in your best Darth Vader voice!
    Lookin' forward,

Kurt Wullenweber

BTW- only a few of the tweeners were a problem, and then really only at Daytona and RAT, before they ruined the back straight and 11. I say we let them run, in a second group, at first, but these guys really have nowhere to be competitive. Can't run in CF and can't run with new FFs.
    Last edited by leraplastics; 05.04.07 at 3:41 PM. Reason: PS

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Hey Kurt ! Welcome back ! Been a long long time, look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in November at the ARRC. I have been threatening for years to go but this time it seems a number of us yankees will be there.
    I agree about the Dunlops, and the vintage group you are thinking of is VDCA, I think, good guy named Mike Jackson runs it, out of Palm Beach Gardens, and correct, CF on Dunlops are allowed and even encouraged. They have a website, put on maybe 6-7 events each year.
    We are allowing the Dunlop as an alternative tire in the NARRC CF series, as it is in MARRS at Summit, and all the Eastern Canada, both Ontario and Quebec, require them. Great tire, I'll know lot's more about them after actually racing on them May 18 at Lime Rock.

I don't know if I'll have my SCCA license back by then, but I'll try.
    A good friend and I were looking at doing a vintage 914/6 together, but he may be looking for another CF, instead. I'm sure they're out there and available, since not many seem to be at the track anymore.
    That'd be great to have two more CF's coming back, instead of just one. Now if each of you guys can bring in another competitor...........it'd be like the good old days.
    Hell, it might just make us young again!
    My oldest is fixing to make me a grandfather, any day now, but I got 'em all fooled, I just won't count anymore birthdays!

Liked: 115

Default Vdca

Kurt:

Mike is correct. The vintage group he refers to is VDCA & the race director is Mike Jackson who lives in Palm Beach Gardens. It is a good group that puts on fun & laid back events. The racing is good and clean. Jackson actually owns and drives Harvey Templeton's Shadowfax FV. The CF fields have been growing some this year at these races & yes they are on Dunlops. I suspect that this tire will be SARRC legal in '08, but in '07 the R60 Hoosier is the only allowed tire. Some SeDiv regionals have decent CF fields and some of the guys who ran older cars last year in FF on stickies have switched back to hard tires. Between the vintage races and the SARRC regionals, you'll have plenty of races to try out. Most CF's are in FL anyway. BTW, I've got you by 3 years, and I'm not stopping now. See you at the races. oh yes, we might even see Butler in a CF before the end of the year. You can bet I'm egging him on.

VDCA's next SE event is at Roebling in September. SCCA co-sanctions it as a restricted regional. You could run the Ford in both classes. Much bang for the buck, and its in your backyard.

jg

Default Ffx Db-1

I've stayed out of this discussion so far since there seemed to be no place for my DB-1, but if FFX is a class at the ARRC, I'll bring it, and we'll see how a DB-1 does on hard tires.

Bob Haubenreich

Default Wish I had this one still

I'd like to have this one back for the ARRC. No idea where she went, but we did a lot of miles together. Sold it in a basket.
    Last edited by jgaither; 03.06.08 at 9:27 PM.

Liked: 955

Default Uncle Raoul

John,

Time to get RB Haynes back in a car too!

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 123

Default Vdca

VDCA is a great group of guys to run with, I run with them once or twice a year. VRG in the north is a similar group with pretty much aligned mentality and rules. Both groups favor clubby events rather than extravaganzas.

One thing to remember is no canister shocks and no aluminium heads on CF in Vintage. Aluminium wheels are OK, though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    John,

Time to get RB Haynes back in a car too!

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    Dan: I stay after he & Butler weekly. One of these days, RB will just wake up and grab his helmet instead of his diving mask. And he'll swear it was all his idea. Rollo is a bit closer, but I don't want to jinx it, so mum's the word. Now then, there's Brookshire, the Shelton's, Jackson Younge, JJ Carlin,Mike Yoder, & some more who'll have to be there in spirit only (Harvey T., Bill Cannon, Jim Hickman).

Liked: 33

Mike Rand. is there anyone up here that has a trailer that can carry multiple cars down to ARRC. I have considered the event but find the haul for a weekend to be a bit much. If we had a group tow setup that the cost and driving was shared it might increase the northerners making it down.

Default hey yankees!!

I just love rubbin that in!!
    You guys may want to get together and see about one of the exotic car transport companies. When I bought a DB4 from Long Island it was a toss up on going up for it or having it shipped via one of the exotic haulers. Ended up having a good business friend pay me to come up and do some "consulting" for their production location (we went to lunch) so that made up my mind.
    There are also quite a few businesses at RAT who should be able to unload a pallet from a truck, so crating and shipping via truck may also be a good alternative to the cost of pulling a trailer to RAT and back.
    Also check on "chartering" one of the prep shop transporters for the event. Isn't everything about wrapped up for the season by that time of year, up there in yankee land? Sorry, couldn't resist They may jump at the business and be reasonable for the trip.

Default bump

bumpers - is that five characters?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information