Liked: 0

Default Who Generated the Marco Mirror Excuse at Indy?

Who came up with the lack of mirror excuse for Marco's wreck? I saw the first part of the race, but had to leave the house and TIVO cutt off too soon to see any interview. I looked at the highlights a few minutes ago and the mirror is very much attached and functioning before he squeezes the Target car. The kid has loads of talent and I'd hate for his reputation to be tarnished by making up some stupid excuse for his move based on something that wasn't true.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Liked: 447

Wasn't it John Andretti who had the mirror issue?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 1886

Yes, John actually lost his at the start.

Marco's mirror casing was still intact, but apparently the lens itself was misaligned.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

I've always been kind of amazed that loss of a mirror isn't grounds for a black flag. It's the only piece of safety equipment that can PREVENT an accident. Right after John Andretti lost his one of the anouncers said "that's ok, they have spotters" - sure didn't work out for Dickson!

For years they used those crappy little sargent mirrors like the ones on our cars. Given how big and realtively sturdy they are now, I'm suprised they don't make them electrically adjustable!

If you put a penalty on the loss of a mirror, they would make them 1) very sturdy and 2) quickly replaceable.

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Marco's talent

Hey, Marco is a damn fast driver and seems like a cool kid and I look forward to seeing him in F1 in a few years - hopefully in a red car too. But if you can't see to your right rear and your going 220 mph, do you risk your life and the lives of others moving to your right...just plain hoping nobody's there? I don't think so.

By the way, does anybody know if a 120 pound driver still has a 100 pound weight advantage over a 220 pound driver in IRL? If so, that's gotta be one of the stupidest rules in all of racing. Oh, I forgot. That organization is run by Tony George!

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Not lost just out of alignment

He said his mirror was mis-aligned/adjusted and he was trying to get it readjusted during the yellow flag but never got it right. I agree that he shouldn't be trying to squeeze his car into that slot if he wasn't sure what was to his right. I think he learned his lesson though as he looked pretty spooked when he came out of the car and the care center. He actually said he was damn lucky. I don't think he had been on his top before so maybe it's a hard lesson that he will remember.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 929

I am beginning to wonder if Marco is in fact froma different gene pool than daddy and grandpa.

I have never noticed him whining in any interview.

He took blame for the incident. Daddy probably would have probably tried to blame dixon.

After saying second was nothing last year, there was an interview with him in the Star where he apologized for that statement.

I would have called that heat of the moment at being 19, just losing the Indy 500 in the last 2 seconds of the race.

Liked: 19

Looked like the left mirror lens was broken in the replay

Marco takes Dan out - its blah blah mirror (forget the guy in the ear piece telling you "outside".....)...... didn't know he was there (?) - whatever......... Cheever takes Marco out - its a frikkin conspiricy that he was taken out on purpose..... spoiled.

He's a bold kid in the car - still working on craft by the looks of it........

Liked: 0

Default What about spotters ?

Did anyone overhear any radio transmissions between Marco and his spotter ?

Seems like a spotter would have let him know someone was outside.

He is lucky, all things considered. He could have killed himself and maybe someone else.

Rob Poma

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

John - to the best of my knowledge minimum weights in Indy cars have always been dry of fuel, but with oil and water, and no driver. That was the rule in the late 80's at least.

Yeah - jockeys have an advantage.

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default A silly rule

Rick, I believe the rule is unique to the IRL. Certainly the topic was never raised with reference to any other sanctioning body. A few years ago, Robby Gordon made a big deal out of it because Danica ran with a 100 pound weight advantage - clearly giving a huge advantage - and Robby rightfully called it stupid. Hey, if that rule had applied in F1, Arturo Merzario, in the right car, could have been World Champion half a dozen times!!

Liked: 1886

That's been the rule for decades with Indy cars. Not sure if there has been a change with Champ Car with the new car.

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

MotoGP also measures minimum weight without the rider. It's a been a controversy for a couple of seasons, a bike rider is a much bigger part of the weight package than a driver in a car.

Thread Information