Liked: 106

Default Stacker Trailer Plans

Due to the power of Apexspeed
    I am continually approached with inquiries to sell plans for my stacker design.

Each build is somewhat unique in so much that the structural differences between trailers, even the same model of the same manufacture over a spread of model years changes the engineering of the structural reinforcements required to achieve my design.

No kidding, I have an M.I.T. Engineer review each trailer prior to each build. If I sell my plans I am subject to tremendous liability risk for injuries (or death) for possible failures due to inadequate adaptations.
    Also, there are such varying fabrication skill levels out there that I am concerned about backlash to my reputation as well. For example, someone buys plans, has their "buddy" build it. he screws it up, typically egos will shift the blame to others...me. With electronic medias such as Apexspeed a person with a grudge can unfairly damage a reputation very quickly.

While I greatly appreciate all the kind words from those who own my stackers and those who have seen them, There's just too much risk for me to sell plans. Yes, I'm turning away money.

So I continue to keep it small by building these one at a time for fellow racers, mostly off season cause I'm off racing as well

Thank you for all the inquiries, I really do appreciate it, I am sorry that I can't honor these requests at this time.

Phil Picard

Liked: 0

Default do you take apointments?

Presumably after Sept or Oct?

My daughter went to Bard and spends time with in-laws at Albany (NY, not GA) we pronounce id ALL-benny down here.

So I could tow my trailer to you, spend time with extended family, and come back and pick it up in January?

This is hypothetical at this sime, since I only have one car. But, it may happen soner or later, you never know.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Phil, don't worry about your reputation,.......It's shot already! Just kidding ya pal!
    It took a while to dig this pic up, but here is what I think is the first ever known to man "stacker". Pic is circa 1986. The pic is of me (NO, I'm not flipping the camera off. That's crossed fingers!) standing next to my Dad's 80 VanD and my Dulon MP15B. We were about to leave for my first race and the maiden voyage of the "stacker". It started life as a horse trailer. Our "method" of lifting the second leval was with a floor jack and series of 2X4"s cut to "precise" lengths! We only dropped it once. It turned a beer bottle to DUST and made my Dad about 1/2" shorter than he was a nano second prior to the "jack exit".The poor little Datsun pickup was NOT happy with this setup and after the first year racing, we cut the trailer in half and took one axle out and built a second trailer which I STILL have. My "half" is now my snowmobile trailer. My Dad's "half" is a junk trailer. It's been a long and enjoyable road between there and the diesel pusher motorhome and enclosed trailer!

Agnif
    Last edited by stonebridge20; 11.05.07 at 11:24 PM.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 1880

Sorry to disapoint you, but Steve had a stacker built sometime in the early '80's, and I think he "borrowed" the design from another racer that had one in the '60's! It used to draw quite a crowd to watch the top car get driven up (not winched!) until the weight went over-center, causing the ramp to swivel to horizontal and latch. Scared the hell out of first-time users!

I made a stacker in '82 inside my home-built 20 foot tag. Shocked the heck out of guys the first time they saw two cars come out of that small a trailer!

In any case, a stacker is a great way to save space for the budget-minded. As far as selling the plans go, you might want to talk about what the real liability concerns are with a lawyer. Most likely, you can mitigate those concerns with some disclaimer paperwork, or just sell the plans as suggested "guidlines" for the purchaser.

Good luck - it's a neat looking piece.

Liked: 106

My first one was in a 16 ft pace, Not a true stacker, more of a ramp deal, put a SRF and a FC in but forget any thing else!

Pretty cool Agnif ! that shot got me thinking of a different application for open trailers.

Rick, Yes I would be open to your suggestion, I'm basically done racing after the NARRC runoffs. Keep me posted as to when your ready. I at times have a two week opening between fiscal quarters where I possibly squeeze one out as well but don't know about the end of June just yet

I'm designing one now for my new (to me) 20 ft, my 26 ft trailer (and stacker prototype) sold with my Reynard's, this one will have alignment capability built in (I'm tired of setting up my platforms) few bugs to work on as far as trailer stabilization is concerned. Keep you posted

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Picard View Post
    My first one was in a 16 ft pace, Not a true stacker, more of a ramp deal, put a SRF and a FC in but forget any thing else!
    And I can bearly fit one car in there... When eventually we get a pit vech, we may resurrect the second level...
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Thread Information