Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Cars

Liked: 9

OK, SCCA need to take a look in the past at what has really worked.

In the early 70's FF was going to the uprated Ford engine. The rules were picked that favored the uprated and kept the cortina motor close but clearly a slight disadvantage. SCCA did not try to keep the engines equal, because they wanted to phase in the new motor and phase out the old motor. GOOD EXAMPLE of how to go about an engine upgrade to a class.

If SCCA thinks that they can have two totally equal engines in the same class, then I think they need to re-evaluate. One engine will be better suited to one track and one engine to another. For instance, the pinto may be the engine for Road America (top end power) and the Zetec for a track like Heartland.

My suggestion is to choose the year that they want the Zetec to be THE engine and let the competators know. Then we can all get our cars changed over and the confusion ends. Then, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ............ LEAVE THE RULES ALONE. The competition will work out the best package and the best package will prevail over time.

If they keep trying to remap the Zetac and keep giving the pinto new items (like the aluminum head) and keep adding /subtracting weight, then the class will continue to be in turmoil. I have put my order in for a new aluminum head realizing that I may only be able to use it for one year. Ouch! Thanks SCCA.

What I would rather do is order my Zetec at the end of the year knowing that it will be the engine to have next year and for many, many years down the road. The people with pintos will have a place to race and a car/class that they can enjoy. They will have to upgrade to the Zetec to be ultra cmpetative. I can't remember that many people complaining because they had to upgrade to uprated FF motors in the 70's.

Also, they need to take a page from the success of the FF-FC engine rules and allow the engine builders to build the engines. I have raced against a great number of different engines and because the engine rules are tight, the power remains the same and the engine buider can do their thing. I would suggest the engine builders getting together for a meeting and writing the rules for the Zetec and sending them to SCCA for incorporation.

Come on guys, lets take control of our class and stop waiting for SCCA to dictate our fate. After all, they are playing with OUR money.

Keith Williams
    Keith

Liked: 3325

Keith,

Extremely well said. I have to say, although I still have the Pinto engine, that you have stated the ONLY really logical and workable conclusion!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

MMM...Keith, I think what was done by the Zetec committee in writing the rules was very similar to what happened in FF in the '70s...EXCEPT we were told(?) or presumed that we couldn't disenfranchize the Pinto (as was what happened to the old FF motor). I think this was accomplished and we have parity at the moment.

The aluminum head was not on the horizon during the Zetec process. Its a new event that now has to be dealt with, or the Zetec and iron head Pinto become obsolete overnight (something we spent a huge amount of time to avoid). It wouldn't suprise me that a number of Zetec conversions are being done right now because of the economics of the Alu head vs the Zetec.

I might add that in my memory there have been a number of instances in both FF and FC where new technology or design has vertually obsoleted existing cars. In the past, everyone either upgraded or stopped winning- their choice. The current hue and cry over the [Zetec, Alu head, fill-in-the-gap] and how it will hurt the existing cars is, I think a bit counterproductive. Technology advances, so why not have new brakes, gear boxes, motors, aero, etc in the class instead of trying to keep it static. Having said that, updates should be implimented in a sane, predictable fashion where everybody can plan, rather than just thowing it in Fastrack.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    MMM...Keith, I think what was done by the Zetec committee in writing the rules was very similar to what happened in FF in the '70s...EXCEPT we were told(?) or presumed that we couldn't disenfranchize the Pinto (as was what happened to the old FF motor). I think this was accomplished and we have parity at the moment.

The aluminum head was not on the horizon during the Zetec process. Its a new event that now has to be dealt with, or the Zetec and iron head Pinto become obsolete overnight (something we spent a huge amount of time to avoid). It wouldn't suprise me that a number of Zetec conversions are being done right now because of the economics of the Alu head vs the Zetec.

I might add that in my memory there have been a number of instances in both FF and FC where new technology or design has vertually obsoleted existing cars. In the past, everyone either upgraded or stopped winning- their choice. The current hue and cry over the [Zetec, Alu head, fill-in-the-gap] and how it will hurt the existing cars is, I think a bit counterproductive. Technology advances, so why not have new brakes, gear boxes, motors, aero, etc in the class instead of trying to keep it static. Having said that, updates should be implimented in a sane, predictable fashion where everybody can plan, rather than just thowing it in Fastrack.

Bob you keep saying we have parity at the moment. You do realize that the Zetec was hit with 30lbs AFTER parity was found !!!

Rob,

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

You're right- I keep forgetting that little fact. And based on your test, its about 5/10th sec a lap at Summit- that's significant. I focused on the results of the test itself.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 309

So far as I know, there was never a plan to have on-track parity at the start of 2007 for the FC-Z in SCCA Club Racing. The work that Sandy and Eric did at Quicksilver last fall to fine tune the restrictor and map was verified on-track during the November test to pretty much everyone's satisfaction, so the decision was taken to reduce the weight penalty from 50 lbs to 30 lbs in accordance with the parity schedule. This closes the performance gap from less than a second per lap to less than half a second.

The schedule published in May '05 calls for on-track parity from 1 July 2007, and the CRB plans to eliminate the 30 lbs weight penalty at that time to have the two engines enter the Runoffs as near to heads-up as we can humanly achieve. A final, post-Runoffs adjustment remains on the schedule should it be needed. I know that a couple of different options have been discussed over the past 6-8 months, but that is the plan the CRB has settled on and I do not foresee it changing.

The aluminum head will enter the fray with a 25 lbs weight penalty over the iron head. As Bob Wright points out, 30 lbs is nearly half-a-second in these cars, and the CRB is confident we can account for whatever small advantage the alloy head may have with proper weight management.

Regards, Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Again, Choose the rules and leave them alone. Then, we will all gravitate to the correct and obviuos answer.

Please STOP trying to make the engines equal. This can't be acheived.

If the plan is to make the Zetec the future engine, then lets get on with it.

I have no problem with technology advancements and I am sure most in our class are the same or we would be in a spec class.

So, lets make the Zetec have the current map with 1175lbs for 2008 and be done. Problem solved. I'll get my Zetec engine on order. Then, all we need to do is get the engine builders together at the runoffs (I'll sponsor a free lunch for the guys) to write the rules so that we can actually rebuild the engine and maintain them throughout many, many years.

Thanks Dave W. for the kind words.
    Keith

Liked: 14

Keith, as I underestand it, you can now rebuild your zetec as much as you like at your builder of choice. the club specs do not call for a seal or a specified builder.

The pro rules are different but its important to remember while similiar for obvious reasons, they are completely seperate
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Thanks Kevin,
    I forgot that this was already done.

Do I hear a petition for current map and 1175 lbs starting January 2008?
    Keith

Liked: 1

Bump up Minimum weight so the little kids do not have an advantage.

Charles Finelli

Liked: 1

So people are actually going to invest more money in that bomb of an engine that needs a $5,000.00 rebuild every year. You guys are nuts, just get a Zetec engine already and end this parity debate. Anyone complaining about 15k conversion but willing to put a 4k Alum head and rebuild give me a break

My big beef with all of this BS is the minimum weight across the board. I will never weigh less then 215lbs and can never win regardless how good I become. Ever wonder why these tinny little men keep winning. No secret and not all talent either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information