Thread: Driving Schools

Liked: 0

I'm looking into doing a professional driving school (Bondurant, Daly, etc...). Has anyone gone to any of these? Can anyone recommend one for fomula racing? The one that I was really considering was the $2500 Derek Daly 3 day school, but I'd like to see if anyone has done any others. Thanks.

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody call 911!!! Keith hurt himself again..

Contributing Member ennis bragg's Avatar

I did the Skip Barber 3-day school at Road Atlanta back in 95. I highly recommend it. check out http://www.skipbarber.com/

You can get an SCCA regional license based on the Skip Barber course. I don't know about the others. Also, check into the crash liability issue for each school. For me, location was a big factor as well.

I like the idea of getting a license for SCCA and going through the school at the same time. It kind of takes the pressure off of keeping your own car running while doing a school.

I like the RA idea for Barber. Whaddya say Keith?
    GREEN means GO

I went to the 3 day Skip Barber school at Texas Motorsport Ranch. I highly recommend the school as well.

Vandiemen70

I took the five-day school that Bertil Roos has and I thought it was great. I'd only been in a race car one time before (for a SCCA school) and had never raced anything before that; the stuff I learned at the school was amazing--the next time that I got in my car I shaved over 11 seconds off my best lap time from my first school.

i did skip barber at lime rock park in about '94. took my son there in '98, and plan to take my new son-in-law there this summer. they do a good job. 6 years later i still find myself trying to apply on the track what i learned at the school. if you go to lime rock park ask for bruce mcginnes (sp?) as the instructor. he's got lots of great stories. FC44

What length of time for the class would any of you recommend? Sometimes, I know you leave those classes thinking, "I could have used another day," or "Geez, I'm spent, that was too much."

What is the ideal class size for the dollar?

-doug
    GREEN means GO

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I highly recomend persuing one of the recognized driving schools. A number of them have been around for years and absolutely have figured out how to teach people to drive and/or race. A way to measure them is which ones are accredited for full SCCA licences. I went through Skip Barber in 1980(gasp! I must be getting old) after racign fo a number of years, and it was the best thing I ever did for my driving, race and street. Interestingly-Bruce McGinnes was my instructor, and he's still there which gives you some idea of the continuity at the Barber school.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

This URL was suggested to me for anyone who may be interested in the possible options for formula race schools: http://www.racingschools.com/formula.html

------------------
    ----------------------------------
    "Somebody call 911!!! Keith hurt himself again..."

Contributing Member

I'd like to attend a driving school, but does anyone know a school that can accomodate a driver 6'4"?
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Tom, when I went to Skip Barber they had a student in my class that was well over 6' tall. I don't recall exactly how tall he was but what they did was to take out the seat and pad the car. He also drove without the upper body fairing (more elbow room) for the first 2 days. On the last day they put the fairing back on - the last day is the fast day.

I think it depends on your driving experience and what area you are working on. For someone that has no license it is a good way to get instruction and get a license at the same time. If you are working on specific driving skills you should keep in mind:
    These are school cars with rev limiters set well below what you may be used to. They are generally run on tires that last along time. (not even close 33 compound sliks).
    They have really good data acquisition and the instructors are usually very good at using the info to help you. Some schools run instructors in cars on the track with you which helps them give you good feedback.
    After you have determined what it is you want out of the school, I would call and ask each school you are considering, for a schedule and detail information on the cars and instructors emphasis.

Liked: 10

Keith,
    I went through the 3-day Jim Russell School in 1985 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. They worked from the English text that Russell was still using. I was lucky enough to only have three students in my class. We got a lot of attention and they would answer anything. They were positive and encouraging without deluding the students. They adhered to classical training first, then the flavor of the day. I watched a Skip Barber school at Moroso a month earlier than that during the "trail-brake" era. At both venues the instructors were helpful. I don't think that you could go wrong at any of the professional 3-day courses. Additionally, I would recommend that you take a class at a track at which you will compete. It will give you a baseline for your progress. Hope this helps. Jim.

I took Skip Barber @ Mid-Ohio. Great experience. They concentrate on car control where SCCA schools is more like a traffic school with track time. A mix of both is good medicine. Hard to beat the price when you compare trying to keep a car running for 2 weekends when your new at it.

------------------
    Tab FC#92

I would'nt consider any on the above until you check out Bridgestone Racing Academy at Mosport. In my opinion their school is twice as good as any school in NA, by far. I beleive a person 6'5'' can fit in their cars

53FC

I went to the Jim Russell School up in Canada. It was a few years ago, but had a good time and learned a lot. What a great track! It was accredited by SCCA then, not sure if it still is, however.

------------------
    Scott Pinkney

As 57 said do check out Bridgestone Racing Academy. The track there is new, designed and built specificly for the school. They are SCCA acredited and have a 4 day school. The 4th day has race starts and a real race in '85 Reynard F2000 cars.
    Bob Kacsur <BR>es1bkacsur@aol.com

57---hey Chuck,is that you from BRA MTP '99? With a user name of 57 would that make you Chuck Heinze 57?

[This message has been edited by Bob Kacsur (edited December 13, 2000).]
    Bob Kacsur <BR>es1bkacsur@aol.com

I took the Skip Barber 3 day at Sebring. It was wonderful although you cant tell by my lap times. The instructor was none other than Terry Earwood. What a guy. I would recommend getting the book "Going Faster" by Skip before you go so you will understand everthing they are talking about. All the instructors were great and very informative. You will learn just what the car can do as well as the "Michelin radials and the Valvoline oil". Terry will tell you.

Thread Information