Liked: 0

Default Rev limiter woes

Is there a rev limiter that actually works reliably in Pinto FC?

When I bought my 99 VD Pinto in June, it had an MSD rev limiter mounted in the sidepod down stream from the radiator / oil cooler. On my 1st test day each session after about 5 laps, the engine developed a mis above 5K RPM. We tracked it down to the rev limiter. It seems it did not like the heat.

So 2 races ago, I installed the Petronix digital rev limiter. Mounted in the cockpit (which is now insulated from the engine compartment). It worked flawlessly that race weekend.

Last weekend, it worked flawlessly until about 5 laps into the race (but if you read my other post you know that was the least of my problems). The engine started cutting out at about 6K RPM. I did not get a chance to disconnect the limiter to see if it was the culprit, but past experience makes me think it is to blame. The switches were still set to 7K for cutoff when I got out of the car.

Does anyone know of a rev limiter that actually works in a formula car?

- Rob

Liked: 447

We're using the Crane Hi-6 electronic ingition with integrated rev limiter. We've been told it sacrifices a little hp not going with the smaller Crane box, but the added rev limiter is worth it.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 2

Default MicroDynamics

I've got a MicroDynamics rev limiter on my CF and it seems to work okay. No problems traceable to the rev limiter and it's definitely saved me from a few missed shifts.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Years ago I had one made by Mallory.

It was a little circut board that worked with any type of ignition that had a pulse for each cylinder firing.

It also had a knob and a pot that you could mount on the dash to adjust the setting.

Worked 100% of the time and cost less than $100.

Liked: 3322

I'm using an Accel 300+ (I think that's the correct model #) which has a built-in adjustable rev limiter. It has worked great for ~10 years now.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 23

I have used the Pertronix digital rev limiter with a pertronix ignitor & pertronix coil in my FF. The first (and only) weekend I used it as a rev limiter it could not decipher real signal from noise and limited real engine speed above about 5k because it thought it was seeing 8k. It also vibrated itself apart. I then disassembled it, potted it, purple loctite on all the mechanical connections and wrapped the enclosures seams with alluminum tape. It then sufficed as a tacho interfact to Pi, but it still received too much noise to work as a rev limiter and simply set the pots at their max.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 4

Default Rev Limiter

I plan on installing the Petronix Rev limiter (Been in a box since March) on the FC to go along with the already installed Pertronix Ign & Coil. I chose this approach since;

1) it is all same mfg, hopefully will work reliably
    2) the Pertronx Rev Limiter is more compact then most units I've seen out there

Going from a 1600 to a Pro Built 2L, rev limiter is helpful as engine does spool up much quicker.

Got it all from Pegasus...
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by racer27
    I plan on installing the Petronix Rev limiter (Been in a box since March) to go along with the already installed Pertronix Ign & Coil. I chose this approach since;

1) it is all same mfg, hopefully will work reliably
    2) the Pertronx Rev Limiter is more compact then most units I've seen out there

Going from a 1600 to a Pro Built 2L, rev limiter is helpful as engine does spool up much quicker.

Got it all from Pegasus...
    If it works in your application and want a spare, cheap, email me.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Thread Information