Liked: 0

Default Need DB-4 tire advice

Looking for some advice on which brand/compound is well suited for a DB-4 running in the NE. Car arrived with old GY r100's which I'll scrap and I'm buying at least one set now so I can set the car up. I believe the car originally ran on Yokohamas in the early 90s but have no idea on what I should look for now. Any reviews are appreciated.
    Regards,
    gregoryj

Liked: 4

Default John Berget

Greg, After you deside don't forget about John Berget.
    His would be great [$$] for setup.
    If you deside on Hoosier, I have 2 rears you can have.
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

Gregory,

Out here in the Pacific Region most cars I have run against seem to do better on Goodyears. The Yokohama's we ran in the Pro Series when these cars were new, were a spec Tire and not as fast as the Goodyear R160's of the day. As soon as I get the motor sorted out we will be running on what ever it is that replaced the R160.

Mike
    Mike Butler
    SF Region

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 2004

Swift DB4 + Goodyear 160's = A real fun ride! I'll be happy to scuff them for ya !

Agnif
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 1

I don't think Goodyear makes the 160's anymore. We used 175's the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain
    I don't think Goodyear makes the 160's anymore. We used 175's the last two years.
    I found Goodyear make the 160 compound for the front only. They only do 175's for the rear. Not having driven this car yet, I don't know if it's worth it to go 175's all around or use them only on the rear and run softer fronts.

So we have three votes for GY, any input on the Hoosiers? I noticed there were primarily Hoosier shod FA's at the Runoffs but some of the cars run 15" wheels.

Thanks for the offer, Mike. You're too good to me.

G

Liked: 95

Default DB4 tires

I have purchased a DB4 recently and coming from CFC this is a good sized jump. My personal input may not mean much but during the year (CFC 2006 Great Lakes Champ) we worked at length with Lee Jordan Engineering. He absolutely KNOWS what he's talking about. I asked him this same concern. He stated that Swift designed the car around the Goodyear period. I kind of have a deal w/Hoosier and even have new rears already. I talked to Hoosier H/O just before the runoffs about my concern and was told Grant had been testing theirs. The problem is that,s a different Swift and honestly I got the impression that didn't compute with who I talked to. Enough so that I'll be talking to Goodyear. Maybe you can help me. I need a picture of how the throttle linkage is. My car has the carbed Toyota and the present setup is a joke. Pics??
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 11

I run Hoosier R35 or R25 in 20x9x13 and 23x12x13, similar to Goodyear sizes. Avon makes a 13 inch tire for FA but I have yet to hear feedback from DB 4 owners. The Yokohama radials I thought were NFG for the DB4. What was Dave Wilcox DB4 using at the runoffs this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc
    I need a picture of how the throttle linkage is. My car has the carbed Toyota and the present setup is a joke. Pics??
    I have a throttle linkage pic taken two weeks ago for reference before I pulled the engine out. I'm injected so I don't know if it's helpful but I emailed it to you anyhow.

Paddy,
    Had you run the GY prior to Hoosier? I think I read DaveWilcox's DB-4 was on Hoosier for the Runoffs.

Liked: 46

According to the entry list for the runoffs, David Wilcox listed Hoosier as a sponsor.

I crew on a DB4. We have run Goodyear, Avon, and Hoosier tires.

We have found that the Hoosier R25 compound has worked best for us with the lowest lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh
    According to the entry list for the runoffs, David Wilcox listed Hoosier as a sponsor.

I crew on a DB4. We have run Goodyear, Avon, and Hoosier tires.

We have found that the Hoosier R25 compound has worked best for us with the lowest lap times.
    Dave,
    I haven't heard feedback about the Avons, what were they like in comparison to the Hoosiers and how did they hold up?
    G

Liked: 46

In August 2005 we visited Sasco (http://www.sascosports.com/)at VIR on the way to Pocono for the double national. The owner of the car bought a set of Avons at Sasco. He qualified and ran the first race on the Avons. They performed and held up well. We put on a new set of Hoosier R25 tires for the second race. His lap times were 1.5 seconds quicker.

We are told that the Avon compound (A11) we had was equlivant to the R25.

We are told that the Avon compounds stay more consistant through the life of the tire. We have not run the Avons long enough to confirm that.

Factors involved, the driver was still learning the track (getting quicker every session), the Hoosier rears are 1/2 inch narrower, weather and temp were the same both days. Avon now makes a norrower rear tire, we have not tried that one.

This is the only time we ran both makes of tires at the same time.

Thanks for the input. The questions never end...right now, the car sits with GY 20x9.5 fronts and 23x13 rears. It appears to me the following tires will work with my 13" wheels:

Avon:
    Fronts 20x9 or 20x10
    Rears 23x12 or 23x13 or 23x14

GY:
    Front 20x9.5
    Rear 23x13

Hoosier:
    Fronts 20x9 or 22x9
    Rear 23x12

Thread Information