Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default F2000 Championship Series Finale at Lime Rock Sept 29-30

The final double race weekend of the 2006 inaugural season is all but here. We are back at Lime Rock, this time supporting the final NASCAR Busch East [previously Busch North] race. The dates are September 29 and 30, Friday and Saturday.
    The entry is strong, all the usual suspects plus a few surprises. With three 20 minute sessions on Friday and two 30 lap races on Saturday everyone will have the opportnity to get their cars and heads right.
    There will also be a season ending party Saturday evening in the Lime Rock Chalet in the infield to distribute awards, points fund checks, congratulatons and commiserations. Several top 6 points positions are still to be decided so the racing is far from over.
    All current and potential participants are invited to attend.

Liked: 19

Default No day fa$'s

Looks like rain in the forecast for Friday. Saturday will be a great day.

I have to commend the F2000 series team again on a great first year. Mike, Al('s) and Bob for putting up with all the heat I generated. Putting us at great tracks etc...The parity is so close now - you can throw a blanket over everyone. (Though - I think I should get some dough from Sandy for selling all the new Zetecs getting installed....)

My car will be on the skinny's - this visit to Lime Rock. I don't expect to walk away and win like last time...... (yea that 2nd race was a fluke anyway).... Probably only win by like a second less than last time..... 8 or 9 maybe. Really looking forward to putting on a show at the uphill again.

Hopefully, we will have some new '07 bits on the car from Van Diemen - I guess they look like missle parts so customs has not cleared them yet.......

Hope to see everyone at the banquet - Will give me a chance to shake hands and thank you all for letting me take all your money this year

Liked: 96

Matt will be there with two trailers...
    One for the car and one for his ego!!!!

Just busting you Matt!

Sorry I won't be there, everyone have a great time.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 24

Matt,
    From what I heard, the series is going to be using all of your winning for the post season party and inspection fees. Mike and Bob have decided they need the additional funds to hire Sandy and Dan Anderson to do a post season tear-down of your car for leagality. There will be no need for the second trailer this weekend, the car will fit in the back of the pickup truck leaving enough room for your trophy and the empty beer cans in the trailer.

All joking aside, great job on keeping the Cooper alumni and GTP on the top step.

Jason

PS: Hope I can make it out next year to show you how sharing works.

Hey Jason, please do, SOMEONE has to !!!!
    Mike Andersen, and others, have tried really hard to beat on him, with some success, but I wonder just how Matt can deal with added pressure. Not to compare him to another open wheel guy who, when dominating, is perfect, but under pressure kind of crumbles a bit.....could be interesting, eh Matt ?

Liked: 106

Hey Mike!

Thanks for the Invite, I'm truly sorry I'm missing this one, Parents weekend for my sons first year at college. I had such a blast at the last race!!
    (Non Solicited Plug)
    Hey all you guys with FC cars, if you want to experience racing as it should be IE. all the pageantry, lots of spectator's, really fast guys around you, and be treated like you always wanted to be, Its worth a call to Mike to see if he can get you in this. Believe me you'll have a GREAT time and learn stuff from these fast guys, I did
    BTW after you talk to Mike, Do the math You wont get nearly the seat time at this level of competition anywhere!

Have a great event Mike!

Qualifying for the final 2 races of the inaugural season of the F2000 Championship Series is complete at Lime Rock Park today, Friday September 29th, in preparation for tomorrows 11th and 12th rounds.
    Some surprises, some tedious sameness, some new faces, and two interesting grids for tomorrow.
    Qualifying for tomorrows first race, set to go green at 10:45, was run in tricky conditions. After a full morning of rain the skies finally began to clear just not quite in time for a fully dry track. Consequently the majority of runners went with rain tires, many of which were completely rooted by the end of the session as a dry line began to appear. The grid was changing by the lap and though the times are not the closest in series history there was plenty of competition as drivers took advantage of the changing conditions while trying not to overheat their rain tires. Some were more successful than others.
    The grid for tonorrows morning race is as follows:
    Matt McDonough [the tedious sameness part] 57.90} Zetec
    Jeff McCusker [the {pleasant} surprise part] 58.638 Zetec
    Alan Guibord Jr 58.741 Zetec
    Chris Fahan 58.850 Pinto
    John Dole 59.722 Pinto
    Craig Clawson 5.768 Pinto
    Tom Fatur 59.873 ZETEC Tom's newly acquired ex-Jerry Kraut car
    Mike Andersen [the other side of the surprise part] 59.946 Mike admitted to using up his rains a few laps to early
    Jesse Yorio 1.00.359 Pinto
    Keegan Van Sicklin [one half the new faces part] 1.00.63 Zetec Actually this was Keegans 2nd best time as he was penalized for "blowing" the checker, although the team disputed the ruling the combined arguments of the Chief Steward, Chief of T&S, and the Starter collectively agreed that in their opinion there was no question Keegan had not seen the checker and series rules call for a penalty in that instance. Nonetheless, a fine first time effort by Keegan in the ex-Hildebrand/Capes car, put in their trailer literally 5 days ago still warm from racing at Road America.
    Mike Mazziotti 1.00.426 Pinto
    Erik Heinig 1.01.172 and another new face making the transition from strictly amateur competition
    Al Guibord Sr 1.01.375 Zetec
    Chris Dona 1.03.800 Zetec
    Brent Gilkes, another new face and welcome addition, 1.0.615 Pinto
    Charles Finelli 1.13.915 Zetec
    Robert Wright, struggling on slicks, 1.23.063 Zetec
    And filling out the field, but not turning representative lap times,
    Thom Reilly, Zetec
    Brendan Puderbach, Pinto Moved to the back of the grid after changing tires- he went out on a set of slicks but chose to swap the tires meaning he starts last instead of the 13th place he had qualified
    Peter Gonzalez Pinto
    Kevin Boeckle Zetec

Qualifying for Saturdays second race, scheduled for 3:45 PM, was on a dry track with the full field charging from the green.
    The grid is as follows:
    McDonough, see what I mean about tedious ? 52.324
    Andersen 52.418
    Yorio 52.636
    Fatur 52.671
    Van Sicklin 53.009
    Dona 53.299
    Finelli 53.540
    Guibord Jr 53.999
    Gilkes 54.037
    Clawson 54.262
    Wright 54.358
    Mazziotti 54.561
    Dole 54.607
    Puderbach 54.649
    Fahan 55.496 another surprise as his diffuser came adrift and his session was a short one
    Gonzalez 56.258
    Heinig 58.001
    Guibord Sr 58.257
    McCusker 58.559 Jeff spent almost the entire session stuck in the swamp How is that for a turn of events, front row race 1, back row race 2. He'll have an interesting Saturday in any event. His suggestion that we run Race 1 stright up and Race 2 reversed grid was not accepted.
    Reilly and Boeckle with no times

So for sure Race 1 [actually race 11 of the series] is going to be interesting for everyone and race 2 [or 12] unlikely to be a yawner looking at the times the front 4 turned with 4 car/driver comos covered bu 3/10s.
    With the season over tomorrow the guys obviously have points to prove and missions to accomplish.
    Saturday evening the series participants and staff will enjoy a season ending party to see the Trophies awarded, points fund distributed, share a meal and maybe, just maybe, share a drink or two, and have a fun relaxing time.
    Race results will be posted as available and as soon as possibe tomorrow.

Lime Rock park, Race 11 in the series, run on a dry but cool track, featured a fine win by Tom Fatur in his ex-Kraut Zetec over Series Champion Matt McDonough. Tom came from 7th on the grid to win by 4+ seconds over matt who was suffering from an intermitent miss. Third went to Al Guibord Jr in a fine drive followed by Jeff McCusker, John Dole, Jesse Yorio, newcomer and fast lap of the race Keegan Van Sicklin, Craig Clawson, a strangley off the pace Chris Fahan, Brent Gilkes, Chris Dona, Mike Mazziotti, Peter Gonzalez, Robert Wright, Charles Finelli, Brendan Puderbach, Mike Andersen, Erik Heinig, Al Guibord Sr and Thom Reilly. Not all were actually running at the end but there was some fierce battling from 4th through8th.
    Race Report for race 12 soon.
    Matt McDonough is confirmed as the 2006 F000 Championship Series Champion with Mike Andersen securely in second. Third will be decided in race 12 between Wright and Fahan and 5th is between Clawson and Mazziotti.

Liked: 2

Default Great Reports

Mikey,
    You're finally getting the hang of that two finger typing you do. Nice and informative reports.

Waiting for the final results here.

Mikey of the South

Race 12 of the season, the finale, is in the books. The last race was a fine race with Mike Andersen winning his second race of the season, and his second win at Lime Rock. Matt McD was second surviving a mid race spin which dropped him back to 4th. Jesse Yorio finished an excellent thrid followed by a charging John Dole, the mornings race winner Tom Fatur, a good drive by Brent Gilkes, Keegan Van Sicklin, Charles Finelli, Mike Mazziotti, Jeff McCusker, Chris Dona, Robert Wright after a last lap spin, Craig Clawson, Chris fahan, Peter Gonzalez, Algae Jr and Algae Sr, otherwise known as Al Guibord Jr and Sr, Brendan Puderbach and Thom Reilly .
    Points standings are as follows:
    Champion-- Matt McDonough
    Second-- Mike Andersen
    Third-- Chris Fahan
    Fourth-- Robert Wright
    Fifth-- Mike Mazziotti
    Sixth-- Craig Clawson
    etc etc
    Expanded reports, full points, etc in a day or two.
    The season ending party is under a 5 minute warning.
    By for now......

Liked: 0

Default Selfish begging...........

I have followed the series with interest......... and longing, since day one. Everone involved with this series has done a lot to "bring it home". Great job!!

Here, 2 years ago I thought I was on the way to racing everything I could for a few years.... then work got in the way .... and looks like it will continue into the '07 season... at least

Now, I'm just hoping I can get in several good/cool events each season. (Here's the begging part)......Sure would be nice if you could try to get in as a support race at the Sebring 12 Hour event in March
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Default A few pictures from Lime Rock

Here are a couple of pictures from rounds 11 and 12
    Last edited by Dano; 01.30.11 at 4:06 PM.
    Ingredients: Nothing but Barley, Hops, Water & Yeast.

Dano, thanks for posting the photos.
    Notice McDonoughs spanking new costume ? All season long he has looked like a homeless driver in a nasty ancient ugly suit while spending lots of time on the top step, then he shows up with a shiny new Puma suit with patches actually sewn on. And then winds up with two seconds. Hmmmm.... Any bets if he shows up with the old one again in '07 ? At least no more double sided tape to attach the required patches on the walk to the podium.
    There is no truth to the rumor heard yesterday that Lime Rock is going to add a new "McDonough Chicane" at West bend, though they thank Matt for saving them on mowing expenses after his repeated attempts to create a new line !
    A sincere thanks to the folks who supported, in every possible sense of the word, the F2000 Championship Series in our inaugural season. Well done to all.

Liked: 1

Hmm looks like a taste of things to come with drivers & cars from the other series bringing there "stick cars" over to this one?
    With this being the only game in town in 07 it may be a little harder to stand on the steps every weekend? But I'm sure the "funny" comments will keep thing interesting!
    Looks like fun, as GR said bring the show down south...Sebring??OR RA even!
    Great job starting up and then taking over in just 1 year!!!!
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Default Hmmm...... Panos....Elan....

...Sebring.... Road Atlanta.....

I'm thinking this is a great way to keep connecting the dots!!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 19

Default Who wants to win Matt's money - 2007?????

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand
    Matt McDonough is confirmed as the 2006 F000 Championship Series Champion with Mike Andersen securely in second. Third will be decided in race 12 between Wright and Fahan and 5th is between Clawson and Mazziotti.
    Is there such a thing as too much Guinness?? Has taken me a while to clear my thoughts - I had a nightmare I said that I didn't expect to win as much as I did... You know a real friend would have stepped in at that point and taken the guinness out of my hand....... But they let me keep talking for some reason......

The weekend went more or less as planned for me - we didn't win - but it was fun AND the next best thing (the first loser - as it were). It was nice to see Tom get one after the year he had (and the first pro GTP 1-2)- That win may have been the first race he finished all year....... ........I managed to break the battery mount about 8 laps into it - around west bend (a corner I think should be renamed after me at this point....) the car cut out and came back...... Then I lost the clutch peddle - I thought I was on fire at one point (great with a new suit....) Then I lost the rear brakes..... ( the battery shorted and eventually melted the hydraulic lines to the rear). I had front brakes that faded very fast... Lucky to finish.. And now, after that, I think I've actually achieved certification for being crazy. The 2007 VD parts didn't show up in time - but we should be testing them in the coming weeks. We asked for a new design 3 months ago... They designed, CFD'd made molds and wind tunneled...... We were a week off on the schedule....

Race 2 was a scramble to get ready for... Mean Dean and Jim went great guns to replace the clutch and brake lines. Mike got his usual lightening start . I was cruising with Mike and figured I would wait until traffic (you can't wait for Mike to make a mistake....) When the choice came to pass - I simply made the wrong one... Did a 270 spin - missed the wall by about 3 inches - grabbed a gear and did an amazing smoke show...... The safety car came out - bunched us up - Got by the cars in between and then for the next 10 laps - closed the 30 foot gap to Mike by 3/32" every lap.... Mike was strong - so it wasn't meant to be. They waited until the last race of the year to get that car flying...... .

Kudos to Van Sicklin - Showed good pace and kept the nose clean.

My FCM just showed up and there is a good read that Al did about respect on the track. Oddly enough I had to mention at the banquet that I thought this Hankook series was the best group of people I have had the pleasure to race with. Simply because everyone showed a great deal of respect for one another during the year (Well, most everyone). It was a pleaseure to share the tarmac. If you have an F2000 car and followed this much of what I've wrote - get your a$$ to a race next year....... Maybe I'll be back to show you the way around Road Atlanta.... It was a pleasure to race with everyone - not sure what the future holds - I thought Penske would have called by now.... .

Have a long list of thank you's......
    GTP - Glen and Bill - I owe so much to (no really - I owe SOOOO much to)
    Mean Dean Meeks - the meistro of the wrenches
    Mike Rand - why, I have no idea...
    Bob, Al and Scratch - Excellent series and great start...
    PI
    BSS
    Elan/VD - Thanks David!
    Stephens Transport - Stinky Bill gets it done
    tasctech.com
    Hankook - wonderful tire. great rains..
    Frisby - Todd is The Man....
    Bosch
    Driving impressions - good place to buy .....anything - I guess
    Quicksilver - The Sand Man told me before the first race - I didn't stand a chance of wining
    fresh air systems tech - Thanks Jill for the new suit!

and lastly... Guinness - I have to pay for the stuff - its just that good....

This is all subject to edit - because I probably forgot somebody....(Mike will let me know who...).
    Last edited by Matt M.; 10.05.06 at 10:13 PM.

Default Nice Job....

Matt,

Come on down south.... we need schooling ..... besides, I can probably make it to some events if they can come our way (shameless push.....again).

The winters and springs are great down here........ NO permafrost
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 2

Default One Reason

Matt,
    First, Congratulations on your season. Penske certainly should have called by now.

I can give one or more reasons to be thankful to Mike Rand. The best reason I can think of is because he works so damn hard to make sure whatever racing endeavor he's involved in has the pure essence of racing attached to it. Here is a guy that has never had a real job in his life. He's depended upon racing (and Tracy) to give him three squares a day for all of his (stunted) adult life. He gives back to racing far more than most of us would be willing to consider.

Again, Matt. Congratulations on your Championsip and congratulations to Mikey for making the Championship be there for all of us to enjoy.

mike

Default going south

hey mike

would be cool if you had some races south. maby we could have a party at anspach`s house. you never know maybe he still has a car in his attic you could drive, if you could put up with the bag pipes and crown royal.we could even invit joe stimola. for round 2

rt capone

Default Good Job Matt!

Matt,

Congratulations on a great season. You and the guys at GTP did a great job all year.

Mike Andersen

Liked: 24

Now thats sportsmanship. Good job to all of you.

Jason

Default First Race

It was a long summer with no racing but I must say it was worth the wait! August seemed like it would never end as we waited for the new car. To Road America on Friday to Lime Rock by Monday night we started the week off with a bang!I first have to give huge thanks to Mike Rand, a job truly well done! To shaking EVERY drivers hand on the grid to stopping by our motorhome to let us know the beer was waiting in the cooler at the party he runs a top notch series. Next big thanks go to Bob Wright, Al Guibord Sr. + Jr. They have been telling me to get a "real" race car for the last two years and I'm glad we listened. The zetec is an amazing car. Mike Andersen and his mechanic Greg were a huuuuuuuge help in getting us up to speed. Unfortunatley for Mike and Greg the new guys parked next to them! We met many new friends, Brenden, Charles, Tom, Craig, his crew chief "The Captain", Brent, Jessie and of course fast Matt! To get praise from the king himself is quite a compliment! Hopefully with an engineer we can turn fast lap before lap 28 of a 30 lap race! For any FC or Zetec that is thinking about trying a race stop thinking and just do it. Very competitive field and clean racing. Back to a post between Bob giving Chas a hard time about the runoffs, you would be crazy to spend all the money to go to the runoffs when you could have gone to LRP. Pintos do have the upper hand over the zetecs Chas! I could run Jessie down in the corners but that Pinto had to much straight line speed no doubt.GR - I agree 12 hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta for sure!Can't wait for next season to start I want more seat time in the new toy!!!Thanks to everyone for such a fun weekend!-Keegan!

Thread Information