Liked: 19

Default West Side Story?

Results from Infineonioninibini??

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

From the email I received:

Pat Barrett’s Perfect Pacific F2000 Debut as Podlesni Takes the Title at Infineon

Sonoma, Calif. (September 10, 2006) – Just 10 days after celebrating his 17th birthday, Pat Barrett, from Los Osos, Calif., make a stunning professional racing debut by winning both of this weekend’s Pacific F2000 Championship Presented by Hankook races at Infineon Raceway.

The other big winner to emerge from the NASA (National Auto Sport Association) event was 18-year-old Robert "Poodles" Podlesni, from Thousand Oaks, Calif., who scooped a pair of podium finishes to secure the coveted championship crown with two races remaining next month at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

"I wish I could have won [one of the races] but we were going for the championship," said Podlesni, who had claimed victory in four of this season’s first eight races with Dave Freitas Racing’s #84 Alpinestars/Terminal Velocity Van Diemen. "That was our goal for the weekend, so we go home happy."

Barrett’s G.FRO teammate Philip Metzger, also 17, from Littleton, Colo., set the pace in the opening qualifying session on Saturday, securing the first pole position of his young career in the #29 Sovereign Energy/PM Motorsports Van Diemen. Metzger’s advantage was short-lived, however, as Podlesni got the jump at the start. Farther around the opening lap, Barrett, who qualified third, also found a way past the pole-sitter, then set his sights on Podlesni.

The top two exchanged positions a couple of times within the first four laps before Barrett made his escape to ensure a glorious debut in the #33 Go-Pro Camera/Russell Racing/Kolliner-Long Gallery Van Diemen RF05.

"Track knowledge was a big advantage," admitted Barrett, who recently clinched the Infineon Raceway-based Formula Russell Championship (and the Rookie of the Year Award) by virtue of a record-equaling 10th win of the season from just 14 starts, "but it’s certainly a good feeling to come out and do so well at this level."

Metzger also found a way around Podlesni to secure the first-ever one-two finish for Geoff Fickling’s G.FRO team. Podlesni hung on for third ahead of veteran Tim Harris, from Irvine, Calif., in Ray Stephens Racing’s #20 Apex Fire Systems/Carson Trailer/Mihms Truck Repair Mygale SJ05.

Harris’ teammate Shaun Modisette, 19, from Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., made it four teenagers in the top five after a steady run in the #26 Carson Trailer Van Diemen, while another Jim Russell Racing School graduate, Todd MacNaughton, made the trip from his home in Hawaii well worthwhile by taking sixth in the Bill Wilson Motorsports-prepped #8 Goto Construction Van Diemen.

The three youngsters again dominated the proceedings on Sunday, this time with Podlesni starting from the pole, flanked by Metzger and with Barrett lurking menacingly on the inside of the second row of the grid.

Podlesni got away well to maintain his advantage on the opening lap, but he quickly came under increasing pressure from the impressive Barrett who had usurped Metzger for second at Turn Two.

On lap four, Barrett took advantage of Podlesni’s inferior exit to the Turn 11 hairpin, then drag-raced his rival along the curving start/finish straightaway before completing the pass in expert style at Turn Two. Podlesni set the fastest lap of the race in his pursuit of Barrett, but the debutant’s second win in as many days was assured when the race finished under caution after Nick Haye’s #4 PR1 Motorsports Mygale SJ05 became stranded at the apex of the tricky Carousel turn with a broken left-rear stub axle.

Metzger’s hopes of another podium finish evaporated when he attempted to pass Podlesni on the outside of the Turn 11 hairpin but succeeded only in making light contact with the wall which necessitated a quick pit stop. Harris was the primary beneficiary, finishing third and reclaiming second place in the points table from the unfortunate Haye, from Huntington Beach, Calif., who had run a strong third for much of the race.

Scott Rarick, from Santa Monica, Calif., had retired from the Saturday race with a puncture but bounced back the following day to finish fourth in the unique #34 Piper DS5. MacNaughton rounded out the top five.

Peter Hastrup, from Madera, Calif., was the top Masters contender (for drivers over 40 years of age) on Saturday, finishing eighth in the #5 Western Building Materials/Dave Freitas Racing Van Diemen. Bob Negron, from San Jose, Calif., took the honors with a seventh-place run on Sunday with his #25 Fengshui5.com Van Diemen.

RESULTS – Infineon Raceway, September 9/10, 2006:
    Saturday qualifying:
    1. Philip Metzger (Van Diemen RF05), 1m33.854s; 2. Robert Podlesni (Van Diemen RF03), 1m34.135s; 3. Pat Barrett (Van Diemen RF05), 1m34.156s; 4. Tim Harris (Mygale SJ05), 1m35.124s; 5. Nick Haye (Mygale SJ05), 1m35.201s; 6. Scott Rarick (Piper DS5), 1m35.505s; 7. Shaun Modisette (Van Diemen RF01), 1m35.543s; 8. Chris Spreitzer (Van Diemen RF02), 1m35.715s; 9. Bob Negron (Van Diemen RF99), 1m36.033s; 10. Todd MacNaughton (Van Diemen RF03), 1m36.040s; 11. Peter Hastrup (Van Diemen RF02), 1m36.538s; 12. Al Salvo (Mygale SJ04), 1m36.854s; 13. Les Phillips (Mygale SJ04), 1m37.565s; 14. Jeremy Shaw (Van Diemen RF02), 1m37.716s; 15. Bill Kincaid (Van Diemen RF03), 1m38.537s; 16. Jason Wiener (Van Diemen RF02), 1m39.179s; 17. Doug Fitch (Van Diemen RF03), 1m39.200s; 18. Dennis Goughary (Carbir DS3-Pinto/Elite), 1m48.410s.
    (All use Zetec/Quicksilver engines unless noted.)
    Round 9 (16 laps): 1. Barrett, 25m26.350s; 2. Metzger, 25m30.273s; 3. Podlesni, 25m33.689s; 4. Harris, 25m35.281s; 5. Modisette, 26m02.809s; 6. MacNaughton, 26m07.126s; 7. Haye, 26m14.371s; 8. Hastrup, 26m18.878s; 9. Spreitzer, 26m24.041s; 10. Phillips, 26m24.531s; 11. Shaw, 26m27.784s; 12. Salvo, 26m32.770s; 13. Kinkaid, 26m45.067s; 14. Fitch, 26m59.300s; 15. Wiener, 26m59.731s; 16. Goughary, 15 laps; 17. Negron, 14 laps, not running, overheating; 18. Rarick, 1 lap, not running, puncture.
    Margin of victory: 3.923s.
    Winner’s average speed: 95.097 mph.
    Fastest race lap: Barrett, 1m34.356, 96.147 mph.
    National class winner (Pinto engines): Goughary.
    Masters class winner (over 40): Hastrup.
    Nordskog Instruments Hard Charger Award: MacNaughton.

Sunday qualifying:
    1. Podlesni, 1m34.171s; 2. Metzger, 1m34.332s; 3. Barrett, 1m34.702s; 4. Rarick, 1m35.499s; 5. Haye, 1m35.642s; 6. Harris, 1m35.647s; 7. *Modisette, 1m35.781s; 8. MacNaughton, 1m36.319s; 9. Spreitzer, 1m36.936s; 10. Negron, 1m37.023s; 11. Shaw, 1m37.128s; 12. Phillips, 1m37.464s; 13. Salvo, 1m37.937s; 14. Wiener, 1m38.891s; 15. Kincaid, 1m39.417s; 16. Fitch, 1m40.714s; 17. Hastrup, no time; DNS Goughary. (* Modisette started from the back in his backup car after qualifying accident.)
    Round 10 (14 laps): 1. Barrett, no race time given; 2. Podlesni, +1.253s; 3. Harris, +1.837s; 4. Rarick, +2.507s; 5. MacNaughton, +2.953s; 6. Spreitzer, +4.023s; 7. Negron, +5.678s; 8. Phillips, +6.663s; 9. Salvo, +7.262s; 10. Hastrup, +8.225s; 11. Metzger, +10.689s; 12. Shaw, +11.703s; 13. Kincaid, +12.456s; 14. Modisette, +13.009s; 15. Fitch, +13.708s; 16. Wiener, +14.582s; 17. Haye, 11 laps, not running, stub axle.
    Margin of victory: 1.253s.
    Winner’s average speed: not given.
    Fastest race lap: Podlesni, 1m34.371s, 96.131 mph.
    Masters class winner: Negron.
    Nordskog Instruments Hard Charger Award: Hastrup.
    Unofficial point positions (after 10 of 12 rounds): 1. Podlesni, 252; 2. Harris, 181; 3. Haye, 163; 4. Spreitzer, 162; 5. Rarick, 145; 6. Phillips, 129; 7. Modisette, 111; 8. Salvo, 96; 9. Hastrup, 92; 10. Metzger, 84; 11. MacNaughton, 75; 12. Negron, 67; etc.

Final rounds: October 14-15, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Nev.
    Firman F1000

From what I've been told by at least one of the Russell instructors Pat Barrett has basically come outta no where this year to win the Russell Championship beating all the old time Russell vets easily. He apparently had no racing background before he started the Russell school series this year. Not even any in Karts. This is what I've been told anyway.

He certainly has Sears Point down pretty good. I watched the Saturday race and after a couple laps fighting it out with Podlesni he was gone and just cruised from there to the win. Looked almost too easy.
    Firman F1000

Liked: 45

Geoff Fickling and his guys did a great job this past weekend. We got beat straight up, no excuses. On another note, running with the NASA Norcal region was a blast. Those people know how to put on a race weekend. No delays, hot grid chicks, nice barbaque Saturday, had a great time (other than the loosing part).
    Dave Freitas Racing
    www.davefreitasracing.com
    df.racing@verizon.net

Liked: 79

Congratulations to Dave Freitas Racing and Robert Podlesni on a well deserved championship win, thanks also for your support.

Congratulations also to Geoff and the team on two great wins and to Pat Barrett on a great debut.

Lee Williams
    Williams Racing Developments
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Two good clean races. That means i can't offer you spectacular Crash Cam footage this time. However I'll see if I can post a bit of race 2 for anybody who wants a look at Sears from a Zetec.

I have to say, in all my years of racing I have never seen such attractive officials... too bad none of them walked in front of my car while the tape was rolling!

Liked: 0

Thanks, the boys did a great job all weekend, Pat and Phil didn't put a wheel wrong all weekend. Congrats to DFR for their well deserved championship. Awesome job all year. You guys showed you were the team to beat all year. And as for Pat's experience, he ran very competitively in karting for about 4 years. He tested a TR last fall, was in the Skippy shootout over the winter, then started the Russell series. So he didn't exactly come out of nowhere... Read up on his resume for more at www.patrickbarrettracing.com.
    Last edited by Geoff Fickling; 09.11.06 at 10:28 PM.

Congrats to Robert Podlesni and DFR on their Championship. You guys have been great competitors the last 2 seasons. Hats off to you.

-TH

I have to correct my Barrett posting. Yesterday at Sears Point (while going through a very frustrating shakedown test of my new Zetec...all day sloughing in the heat and only got in 1 very slow sputtering lap), I found out that Barrett has quite a bit of karting experience as well as Skip Barber experience. My source had been talking to me about another driver at the same time that had no experience but was quick in the Russell series.
    Firman F1000

I would like to thank Tim Harris for his kind words along with WRD for their compliments and support. Alpinestars, DFR, WRD, Becker Designs, and Van Diemen have been a huge support this season and I do not want their support to go unacknowledged.

Congratulations to G-FRO on their first win as a team, job well done guys.

Well, with all this talk, it feels like the season has come to a close. But I think there is one more race left in Las Vegas. So I look forward to another great race with everyone of the Pacific F2000.

Robert Podlesni
    #84 DFR/Alpinestars Van Diemen

www.robertpodlesni.com

Liked: 24

Robert & David,
    Congradulations on the championship. Good luck in Vegas and the years to come.

Jason

David; Maybe you sould leave your wallet at home when you go to Vegas.

Liked: 45

Jason, haven't seen the wallet since Toronto, so I should be good to go for Vegas.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    www.davefreitasracing.com
    df.racing@verizon.net

I have the wallet ... hahaha .... and Dave wonders how I pay all those bills of his

Thanks Jason

Poodles,
    Use my method, just don't pay your bills and pocket the money.
    Give em' Hell Kid!

Holy Topeka

The Gainesville Baller

In Loving Memory of David Dietrich, a father, a friend, a racer.
    (1954-2006)

Default Photos

Barrett Leads:

Spoils of Victory:

Championship Winners DFR/Podlesni:

Firman F1000

Excellent! Thomas got a picture of some of the officials!

BTW Doug Learned told me later that he was watching from the stands at the top of the hill and Barrett was completely flat through 3 and 3a. THAT'S impressive. What you call commitment, not to mention a very well set up car!

Default video

I've put up video of a couple of laps from the beginning of race #2:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...531&pr=goog-sl

Freaking Cool. .Did you manage to get the pass???
    Jeff O

Douglas Brenner

Default The real thing

All you drivers from the east who claimed that the only real road race courses in North America are Road America and Laguna Seca should watch Bill Kincaids vidio. It doesn't get any better than Infinion!!

Default Sears Point...not mazda.

What is that part of the track that yall used that rejoins at the esses? I haven't seen that part before? Are there a few different layouts like the Glen?
    Looks like fun?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

The configuration we ran is the classic full course, including the carousel (T6). NASCAR runs a "chute" between T4 and T7 that bypasses the carousel. There are some other variants possible including a chicane that replaces T10- this is used by the Russell school to keep from writing cars off in the T10 wall all the time. Sears really is a great track, technical but gutsy too. And it changes a lot with conditions (wind, fog, etc.).

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Sears Point on TV

If you see races at Sears Point on TV you will only see the complete "long" course on ALMS and Star Mazda shows. The Nascar guys go from turn 4 to turn 7 so all the Bubba's get to see Billy Bob go by more often. And the sissies in the IRL use the "School" version AND cut accross right behind the tower so they can get to start finish sooner. I got to see Alan McNish go thru turn 10 (the REAL turn 10) in an Audi R8 at 150+ MPH and that was breathtaking! Can't say I like all the "improvments" that have been made since Bruton Smith bought the place. They screwed up the run up the hill to turn #2 be putting up a wall at the west side of the Drag Strip so we have to take a tighter line up the hill thru turn #1. BIG problem is that required the starter stand to be relocated to drivers LEFT around a fast and blind left kink. We had the biggest wreck in San Francisco Region history because of this. The starter DID NOT throw a green and one guy got sideways just around the blind kink and 16 cars were rendered "Unraceworthy" by the results. I guess I just liked the place the way it was 15 years ago with nice Green hills and trees!

Thread Information