Liked: 2

Default 15 Year old rule for CFC

What do you think about a standard 15 year old rule for CFC FOR ALL SCCA. Divisions??
    Lee

Liked: 11

It has both positives and negatives. I'd hate to own a 84 whatever and be racing 98 Van Diemens in 7 years- in 8, 9, and 10 it only gets worse. That said, if the rules allowed later cars CFC probably would not be dead as it is here in the southeast.
    I would allow 96 and back cars right now due to design (said w/o a dog in the hunt). You could argue 97 and back. Look into adding the 98+ cars later- maybe they won't be competitive in FC in 2113. Who knows.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 1

Default CFC Rules

Lee,

Not real keen on opening up to a 15 year rule at this point. I would like to get a stable 1990 and earlier rule set to allow the class to be established here in Cen Div and then evaluate adding upt o 1995 or similar. We are getting 8-10 CFC cars in our first year out here with the Great Lakes Challenge. I am aware of three additional cars that will be ready either by the last race at MO or for next year. The best I can tell, we will add Mike Pace in a Swift, Melissa Fergus in a Crossle and Jim Dopirak in a Van Diemen. There may be others but this series will over time pull out more participants. I can see an argument for 1990-1995 Van Diemens as they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I would not be for opening up to newer post 1998 cars as they are really a significant improvement - in partiular in the aero. In five years I may think differently but the attraction here is a stable set of rules and technologies (read investment)

David Keep

Reynard 90SF

David Keep

WOW 132 views and only 2 reply's I was just wanting to see what the majority thought??

Liked: 553

I like it. It's simple.

When 97-98 cars become eligible, most CFC's will be a lot less competitive, but that's not much different than when new cars are offered for current classes.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

I am not sure what year 91,92,93 or 94 Van Diemans are updateable to 95 ,97 ?? I have not seen very many early 90's Van Diemans out there to see what they can do against late 80's Reynards.
    Lee

Liked: 11

I thought the idea behind CFC was to give older cars a place to race with out fear of being made obsolete by newer models. A 15 year rule would send alot of cars back to the garages every year by making them obsolete twice in thier life times. How about allowing the 91-97 Vandiemans into CFC but make them use a spec tire like the R45 Hoosier? We use them on our Reynard because we can get several race weekends on them( I am cheap) and they are only slightly slower than the stickier tires.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 917

Keep it at 1990 and back

Liked: 22

I think in CenDiv we should leave the rule in place for 1990 and older cars. Let's see what happens in the divisions that have changed the rules. From what I can tell so far, it really hasn't help with car counts in the Northeast division. Are there other divisions that have adopted these rules aswell? If so, how are the car counts?
    Corey Collins

Liked: 0

Default 1995 & earlier as a compromise?

During the lengthy discussion last year, we were able to get close to using 1995 and earlier for CFC since 2 divisions were using it at that time.

We lost CFC in SEDIV due to non-participation, no matter what year, We were using 1990 and earlier.

ARRC this year is 1995 and earlier.

As a prior member's post said, if you go to a 15 (or whatever) year age marker, the really older cars may not have enough incentive to show up.

Liked: 1

Default at the risk of 133 positions

My observation of the East West Challenge and the newer Great Lakes Challenge is that these local series do provide a reason for people to get the car out of the garage, blow off the dust and go racing. The key has been Steve B and Corey C who go out and hustle for a bit of money and a ton o cajoling to get people to show. Based upon these two samples - it is reasonable that a CFC series can be made for all kinds of semi spec cars with limits to the development. I would bet that if someone in the north east or south east could take a page out of Steve's and Corey's book and within a year or two a series to bringout the cars would occur. That is a good thing for the series and for the region. I know of at least 6-8 of the GLC CFC's are also running other regional SCCA events. The limitation to the regional success has been very local - not sure they have rubbed off on other regions. If we did have more regions with similar series to the above, we might have a fun Great Lakes Challenge vs "The Atlantic Coast Championship event. You never know.

Net leave the CFC challenge in CenDiv with 90 and earlier. In the NE or SE or SW - love to have more -- but make a series that works for you -- just creating a class won't do it

David Keep

Reynard 90SF #63

Liked: 0

A '91-'94 vd can be fully updated to '95 spec. They are very similar ans share many parts. I believe the bodywork/sidepods are the biggest difference.
    Jeff O

Liked: 106

[SIZE=3]Rick is correct. Up to 95 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]And this was debated to the point of nausea, see the old posts.[/SIZE]

Liked: 3787

I now own a '89 Reynard. I won the 03 SEDIV CFC title when there were cars on the track. Yet somehow I just can't get excited about this debate.

I will race every weekend that I can afford to whether there is a class for me or not. Just let me out there, even if I'm in the GT-1 run group.

I love what the EWC has accomplished. Very good job. It should be the model for other areas.

Think globally, act locally.

Truly some of the 20 year old cars are 'vintage'.

Thread Information