Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Anyone have any suggested sources for obtaining a new fiberglass seat for a formul car----Lola 440, specifically? I have info on "bead seat", but would still like to source a fiberglass unit. Any help greatly appreciated. Larry Payton

Hi Larry;
    Here is where you can get what you are looking for;
    If you are looking for an original seat contact the below:
    Tony Waterman at TW Mouldings. E-Mail <twmouldings@yahoo.com> Address
    Units 5,6 and 7
    Brook Farm,
    Ellengton,
    Huntingdon,
    Cambridgeshire PE 18 OAE
    United Kingdom
    Murray Chalmers Miss Lola's kept man.

For safety's sake DO NOT use a F/Glass seat, ever, they are 50's technology. Use a bead seat for your safety.
    Like a roll of toilet paper,
    life goes faster as you near the end.

What's a bead seat please?

A bead seat is made out of styrofoam beads. You mix them up with a resin/catalyst and pour them into a bag. The driver sits in the bag and the seat forms around him. When it is cool you take it out and cover it with tape or cloth. This produces a seat that is pliable and will give in a crash. It is also a massive pain in the ass!

I like 2 part polyester foam better. You just box in the cockpit with cardboard, set in a plastic bag, and pour the resin in the bag. As the resin kicks, it grows (a lot) and forms around the driver. This somtimes takes a few tries to get right, but it is a lot easier and cheaper than bead. You can get 2 part foam from most boat builders.

I am never able to get my seat right on the first try, so having a cheap way to make a new one is nice.

-Clark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

The bead seat was also a requirement of the Pro 2000 series, as they found that it added an extra measure of safety. Your call--more safety for a couple extra bucks and what a few might consider a pain in the ass--or something less.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses re: seat for t-440. The fiberglass seat is for show, the bead seat for go!!! I appreciate all the input, especially regarding the safety aspects of both types of seating---at my age, safety is a primary concern, so will be doing bead seat for sure. Jeez, hope that stuff sets up in this 116 degree heat!!! See some of you folks at Fontana.

Larry

Thread Information