Okay, at the risk of being flamed -- hope not, this is still a newbie speaking, so chalk it up to not knowing what I'm talking about and venturing where angels fear to tread because I just want to know, okay?

I've read the long and heated debate about the $3000 Zetec solution elsewhere on this site, and it seems to me that most of the posts were missing the point entirely.

It seems to me that the fellow was trying to prove a point and he did so. Yes, he missed being legal becuase he used a carb system. Is it only that aspect that caused the firestorm?

Because it seems to me that it was just the carb system thas was in flagrante.

I've done a little research myself, and have found that the cost, from Quicksilver and Ford Motorsports UK, of the required parts as specified in the FCS, amounts to some $3300 new, and around $2600 used but in good condition.

With a used stock Zetec, that would put a legal powertrain cost at around $4-5000. Of course I would have to build it into my car, modify the mount, bell housing, clutch. Any that may well run me another $10k. But maybe not. Actually, probably not.

But if I were to pursue that route, wouldn't I be SCCA FC legal at that point?

Or am I missing something else?

Having been quoted $3500 for a refresh on a Pinto, that would amount to some three refreshes, and then would I be ahead of the game with a (still) low mileage Zetec car?

Sorry if I'm missing the point entirely here.

Thanks in advance!