Liked: 553

Default FM chassis worth considering?

Just wondering if anyone has analyzed the pros and cons of converting a standard Formula Mazda chassis to F1000. My initial feeling is: too heavy and not very aerodynamic. However, the chassis and spares are plentiful and I wonder if the engine bay is wide enough that major hacking could be avoided.

I like the idea of a bike powered formula car, but the path to get there (for me, at least), isn't easy. There is no used car market (that I'm aware of), it takes a lot of work to convert a car and solve issues, and I doubt I'll be able to afford any new car offerings.

Some times I think about converting my Swift DB-4 to bike power, but I suppose tub chassis have been completely ruled out for the new F1000 class, right?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11

Yes, no tub chassis.

My belief is that the FM is to popular (and worth $$) to justify building an F1000. Also, as you mentioned it is already at a disadvantage in terms of handling and weight. The rotary's power is what makes the lap times close to FC.

Any FC that is no longer competitive is the ideal candidate. 97 and back Van Diemens for example. The market for these cars will totally depend on the class participation (look at what is happening w/ FSCCA) and as the Stohrs of the world start adding cars we should see ours becomming more valuable (IMHO).

My "spares" car (96 VD) was purchased as a roller for $8,000 w/ lots of spares of its own- this was a perfect car for conversion. Buy a 94-96 and just copy (the good parts of) mine!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thread Information