Liked: 0

Dear VARA Members,

This week I had a sad call from Craig Sanford regarding a serious tragedy during the NASA race at Button Willow this past Saturday. Without going into great detail, the driver fatality resulted from a basal skull fracture. The driver was wearing full safety gear, full face helmet, good belts, good seat, BUT NO HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT SYSTEM. This fatality was the same type of injury that took the lives of Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty, numerous amateur drivers and my own family member in a Sprint Car.

Running the risk of being on a soapbox, Over the years I have seen far too many drivers in numerous organizations race, both professional and amateur, each weekend without even a neck collar! Yet, these same drivers will go out spend big bucks on engine improvements, new tires, new $30,000 car haulers, however, they lack the ability to wear the proper safety equipment.

Take my word for it, you would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER want to witness up close and in person, a driver that had a basal skull fracture. If the NASA driver would have had at a minimum, been wearing a neck collar, his injuries "may have" been reduced.

The only part of a driver’s body not strapped in tight is the head. Extensive testing by all the major professional racing organizations have proven, that any impact with a minimum of a 20 degree frontal impact above 30mph will most likely result in a Basal Skull Fracture. Basal Skull Fractures result in immediate death.

As a result of their testing, F1, IRL, CART, NASCAR, ALMS, Grand-AM, and others MANDATE head and neck restraint systems. As a side note, if you witnessed the Kenny Brack accident during the IRL race, Kenny was wearing the MANDATED HANS DEVICE, and Kenny survived.

VARA will now join that list of organizations requiring drivers to wear a heck and neck restraint system. Even though our cars maybe from another century, we will use and support 21st century safety equipement.

Regardless of the type of car you drive, all drivers must invest in some level of a head and neck restraint system. As an FYI, I have purchased the Simpson Head and Neck Restraint product for our upcoming race next weekend.

Driver safety will always be our number one priority.

VARA is VERY FORTUNATE to have Craig Sanford and his team at our events. The level of preparation and support provided by Craig and his staff is equal to that of NASCAR, CART, F1, IRL. Craig has made it a personal mission to stay deeply involved with NASCAR and their on-going technical training for driver safety. VARA benefits from all of Craig's safety efforts.

During the Button Willow incident, Craig and his crew worked at the same level of any PROFESSIONAL organization. In the process of the driver extraction, his crew was forced used all their tools and extensive training, including the Jaws of Life and the Air Ambulance. However, if the driver fails to wear the proper safety equipment, Craig and his efforts are useless.

VARA is long overdue in mandating any type of head/neck restraint system. We can no longer just "recommend a neck collar", as an organization we must MANDATE head and neck safety equipment.

Just like when we finally mandated arm-restraints, FIA certified driving suits and SNELL helmets. It took a while but it is now commonplace. The level of safety with in VARA has been excellent over these past 30 years. I intend to see that our track record continues well into the years ahead.

We all drive cars that age between 10, 20, 30 or 40 years old, this doesn't mean we have to ignore the huge advancements in driver safety equipment. I’m confident that there is enough research going on in the area of Driver Safety and Basal Skull Fractures, that we will continue to see major advancements in the years ahead. However, all drivers must start now and begin to use additional safety equipment.

Effective immediately, the following head and neck restraint requirements will be in place for 2004 and beyond:

- Beginning with the 2004 season -- ALL DRIVERS MUST WEAR AT A "MINIMUM" A PROPERLY FITTED NECK COLLAR and a CLOSED FACE HELMET. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND A HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT SYSTEM. No driver will be allowed on the track at any of our events without at a minimum of a neck collar and a closed face helmet. Regardless of the type of racing vehicle.

Also, at the beginning of our 2004 season, we will issue a statement regarding our plans for the 2005 season and beyond, that all DRIVERS MUST WEAR A FULL HEAD/NECK SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEM -- SUCH AS HANS, HUTCHINS, SIMPSON, ISSAC or G-Force etc...

As part of our driver awareness pratice and educating our driver community, Craig Sanford will have at our upcoming Las Vegas race a sample of the Hans Device for our drivers to check out and "maybe" try a test fit for their car. In some cases, a Hans Device will not fit in properly, so I strongly recommend ALL DRIVERS begin to investigate which device is best for the type of car.

VARA will not waiver on head and neck systems and full-face helmets.

I'm sorry that I became long winded regarding this subject. However, in the long run, the next life we save may just be the life of one of our very own VARA drivers.

I welcome your comments, etc...

Best Regards,
    Craig L. Hibbard
    President, VARA Board of Directors

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I've my ISAAC system already. Let us hope I never need to use it!

I have my Hans and love the way it distributes the force of the shoulder harness on the body instead of the heavy pinch of 3" belts over the shoulders. Hope to never have to use it for it's intended purpose but my family is worth sticking around for.

Jim Wooldridge, Jr.

Greg Mercurio

Craig: It's a brave man that will take the stand you have taken, and I applaud you for it. I forsee the day when all sancitoning bodies make the same leap to protect us from ourselves, and the everpresent threat of real litigation.

Greg and Everyone who has written in support of our direction,

Thanks for the support. It's amazing to me the comments I've had since taking this next step in mandating driver safety gear. VARA will be the FIRST vintage racing organization to make such a bold move. It's about time.

90% of the responses have been fully supporting, the other 10% has nothing to do about driver safety, its all about money....”I'm going to have miss two races now, I can't buy that new valve cover, or new tach etc."

All I can say its time for EVERY ORGANIZATION regardless if it is amateur or professional, drivers must use something, period. Companies such as HANS, ISSAC, SIMPSON, HUTCHINS etc. have invested tons of $$$ in the development of Head and Neck Restraint Systems. Collectively these companies have made huge advancements in the understanding of a Basal Fracture. The technology is here now, why not endorse the advancements.

Just yesterday I had a call from NASCAR TRUCK regular, to quote him, "If I didn't have my head and neck system in place, I would have been dead". By the way, it was his first season using the system and his first major impact with a wall in all of his years racing. The old saying, "that it would never happen to me" is a lame excuse for not stepping up and buying the proper gear.

I also raced motorcycles for a few years, saw a few famous names go down and return in wheel chairs. Why, were they were too proud to use a neck device while dirt racing? Not me. I bought one of the first available. Sure, it took a few races to get comfortable, but after that it was second nature putting it on. And YES, I was laughed at, but I took my share of falls and walk away.

I hope what we have put in place this week makes the entire racing community stand and pay attention. The driver fatality last Saturday could have been avoided had the proper gear been in place.

Like many of us, I have a family. Racing is dangerous enough. Why not add one extra item to your gear bag that would enhance your chances of survival "if" the situation happens.

I now have my Simpson system in my gear bag ready for our Vegas weekend...

We all owe a big thanks to every manufacturer for their investments, time and effort and for making our passion, hobby, and sport safer.

Craig

Gregg Baker

Mr. Hibbard,

Our condolences about your family member's death. It is unfortunate so many racers have to die before sanctioning bodies recognize that mandating head and neck restraints will vastly reduce the incidence of the #1 cause of racing fatalities.

Finally, someone gets it. Yours is the most refreshing perspective we have ever heard coming from a sanctioning body officer regarding the subject of head and neck restraints. Some may consider this a bold move on your part, but we are confident that history will prove you are ahead of the curve.

The least we can do is help. We are offering through the end of this year a ten percent discount to any member of your organization. There is no need for a group purchase agreement, or for VARA to manage any inventory. It's automatic.

You have correctly noted that the development of these devices requires considerable resources. There is simply no inexpensive way to do it. It is particularly frustrating to make this level of investment knowing that less than two percent of racers use any head and neck restraint. All this does is kill drivers and reduce the manufacturer's economy of scale. We are convinced that the best way to save lives and reduce costs is for these products to be mandated, as was the case with the development of harnesses, helmets, firesuits, etc.

We may implement a discount program for members of any organization that mandates head and neck restraints, just to encourage what will eventually happen anyway.

We all owe a big thanks to every manufacturer for their investments, time and effort and for making our passion, hobby, and sport safer.
    Thank you, and please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist in your efforts.

Gregg S. Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't forget the Wright device that was designed by NASA engineer who was himself paralyzed by a basal skull fracture. He sells it at material cost and it is SCCA PRO approved = $150.00
    www.over40racing.com/
    Harry T. Angell<br />Bakersfield, CA

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Fellas;

An epiphany. What if we were sophisticated enough in our thinking that the entire F1600/2000 community en masse was to order, say 100 HANS devices. I would surmise the price break would be VERY significant. Use this forum as a test for a number count before any solicitation.

Having said that, I’d be in for 1. Now let’s see, one hundred minus ……… uh, that’s about 99 left.

Iverson

Post Scriptum – I suspect it will be minimum mandatory equipment in the very near future. We might want to get it organized while this is still our idea.
    V/r

Iverson

Gregg Baker

Originally posted by Rick Iverson:
    ...to order, say 100 HANS devices. I would surmise the price break would be VERY significant...
    Rick,

Unless they've changed their policy very recently, HANS does not offer any discounts for group purchases, or for anything else for that matter.

Gregg;

Shucks. Although I think numbers we are talking about are significant, both for them and us. With considerably less expensive and equally efficient systems out there, I would have thought they would be receptive to such marketing strategies.

Iverson
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 353

Apparently, not everyone is a slave to the MarCom religion.

Originally posted by Rick Iverson:
    Gregg;

Shucks. Although I think numbers we are talking about are significant, both for them and us. With considerably less expensive and equally efficient systems out there, I would have thought they would be receptive to such marketing strategies.

Iverson
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Makes sence.

Anybody have recommendations on type of system best in FF type seat/position?

Gregg Baker

Originally posted by pm:
    Makes sence.

pm,

We have customers who have used their Isaac systems in various formula cars--FC and Barber Dodge come to mind.

Here are photos including the standard FM:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/Othe...tos/Users.html

And this one's in the new FM, which I believe will be out in time for the 2004 season:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/FormulaCar.JPG

The HANS products are configured based on seat angle (measured from vertical). You will probably need a 30 or 40 model for your FF.

Liked: 159

Don't give up too easily on a price break. I called Hubbard/Downing to buy a Hans 6 months ago and enquired about a used unit. They happened to have one traded in by a famous CART driver who wanted a different configuration. They replaced all the padding and straps and I got it for exactly 50% off list. Between now and next speign I bet a number of good opportunities may be had.

I do feel more secure and really like the distibuted belt load with the device on. I am a believer

Steve

I tried to trade in my Hans for a different model about the same time and was refused after two different attempts. They told me to sell it on e-Bay. I ended up selling in at ApexSpeed. Thanks Doug!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Gregg Baker

We purposely designed our product as a modular system, so if you want or need to change anything in the future you can simply swap out components.

We occasionally have demo systems available for sale at a 15% discount.

Gregg Baker

Originally posted by pm:
    Makes sence.

pm,

We found a customer who uses an Isaac system in a FF. Shoot me an e-mail and we will put you in touch with them.

An epiphany. What if we were sophisticated enough in our thinking that the entire F1600/2000 community en masse was to order, say 100 HANS devices. I would surmise the price break would be VERY significant. Use this forum as a test for a number count before any solicitation.
    I just spoke with Ken at HANS, and as I understand it, they are going authorize varying discounts as a function of quantity. Actual price brake will be available next week. I’ll stay on top of it. Perhaps we should sample the waters between us and the FC folks on numbers. Again, I am in.

Iverson

Post Scriptum - Anyway to set up a counting method through the voting option?
    V/r

Iverson

"Unless they've changed their policy very recently, HANS does not offer any discounts for group purchases, or for anything else for that matter."

--------------------
    Gregg S. Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Open mouth, insert foot, Gregg
    Like a roll of toilet paper,
    life goes faster as you near the end.

Gregg Baker

posted October 25, 2003 07:40 AM:
    "Unless they've changed their policy very recently, HANS does not offer any discounts for group purchases, or for anything else for that matter."

--------------------
    Gregg S. Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

posted December 08, 2003 02:57 PM:
    "I just spoke with Ken at HANS, and as I understand it, they are going [to] authorize varying discounts..."

Iverson

Originally posted by Bengt Valv:
    Open mouth, insert foot, Gregg
    That phrase is normally reserved for people who make erroneous statements. Open eyes, read posts, Bengt.

They are forced to offer discounts. Racers realize they can get the same performance for less. You can pay up to $4,000 for a HANS in Asia, where we just shipped multiple units. We picked up the freight on that deal.

With a 30% discount, the HANS will be priced competitively for you guys.

(Emphasis added.)

Fellas;

The HANS folks elected to pursue this policy the weekend of 6-7 Dec 03.

Let's just sit back and relax a bit to see what transpires. Ken Adams made mention that a program is in fact in the offing, where the decision as to the price breaks will be available in approximately one week. I’ll stay on top of it.

In the interim, how about a number count. Again, I’d be in for one.

Iverson
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information