Thread: brake pads

Liked: 2

Default brake pads

Hi to all, Ive searched thru this site looking for info on brake pads, I have found quite a bit of info, but being new to FF I would like to know some things about brake pads(I need new ones) A friend gave me a Pegasus catalog, and the car uses LD19 pads but there are different compounds or hardness. I bought this car for the test day rush of blasting around the track. I will be mainly be running at willow springs ,a fast track and what I've experienced not much braking on test days unless I over cook it . or I totally screw up.(this has happened)
    the question is I would rather change brake pads then rotors,( I have no spares) so what is a cheap but good pad? Some day I will race but today fear still rules........John

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

John I have a couple of recommendations from past experience. For a cheaper pad your could use the Hawk blacks. They worked well and lasted a far amount of time when I tried them. Although with heavy use they can be a little hard on rotors? That could have been the tracks I ran thta had a lot of braking. The pads I like are the performance friction in compounds of 01, and 93. They work very well and are pretty easy on rotors. I personally would use the Performace Friction pad. The tracks I race on have moderate braking and I really do not have to change pads that often.

Unless you are running alot, I do not think you would have any brake pad problems with any of the major brands.

Just my thought, hopes it helps

Darren

Liked: 0

Default brake pads

John; The Hawk black will work very well for you. Of course at Willow Springs it is not much of a factor. The only place you should be braking is turn three. 9 turns, 2.5 miles, one braking zone, i can't think of another track less demanding on brakes. Have fun out there it is one scarry fast track. Murray
    Murray Chalmers Miss Lola's kept man.

Liked: 610

Default brake pads

John,
    We like KFP carbon-kevlar pads (KFP-64), easy on rotors, heat shield between the brake material and the backing plate, and $55.00/set of 4, for most used compounds.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 5

Default I have...

Some really old New Stock of Ferodo Pads - I believe they're DS-11's...I'd have to look. But, if you're just lapping, I don't think it's going to matter much. Plus, I live in Chatsworth. Shoot me a PM, or email racerxlilbro@yahoo.com, and I'll hook you up.

Brad
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Default Slight Hijack

I'll piggyback on the discussion here to ask, how long do brake pads typically last? I've still got the previous owner's pads installed and (without actually measuring) I haven't noticed any significant wear in over a year. At this rate, these pads may last another 5 years.

Am I not braking hard enough or have I got some iron-clad pads in there?

(Can't identify the pad mfgr but they're in Girling 14LF calipers FWIW.)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Brake pads

You'd have a had time choosing something that would be clearly "wrong," as pads are as much personal preference as anything. I've had good success with, and sold a lot of Hawk Black (HB-117). They last a long time, and they're not as expensive as some of the other pads.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar

Default Rotor compatability..

Some pads leave a coating on the rotors and switching between Carbon and Organic compounds can feel strange if the materials are not compatable. This coating can be worn thru but may take a while.

Default scarry fast

Hi Murray, willow is just that scarry fast and with no traffic, faster. tanks for the tip ..........John

Quote Originally Posted by Murray
    John; The Hawk black will work very well for you. Of course at Willow Springs it is not much of a factor. The only place you should be braking is turn three. 9 turns, 2.5 miles, one braking zone, i can't think of another track less demanding on brakes. Have fun out there it is one scarry fast track. Murray

Default Thanks you guys

Hi all thanks for the info, this site kicks ass know if only I could do the same behind the wheel ..........John

Liked: 3

I've converted nearly all formula cars over to Wilwood Polymatrix H compound. Long lasting, affordable, and linear in performance they don't fade with heat nor lack cool temp bite.

Thread Information