Liked: 7

When I was at an SCCA school this spring they couldn't find the chassis numbers on my Citation FF. Everyone told me they are normally under the roll hoop, but I can't find any number anywhere.

I assume that the number got covered up when it was powder coated, but I can't even be sure of that since I don't remember the numbers when I bought the car. They were probably there, but that was a few years ago and I wasn't looking for them then.

Any idea what I can do now? the car inspectors said I need to find it before the next event.

Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA
    http://www.chrismore.com/

Liked: 19

Chris,I don't believe the tech guy was looking for your chassis # but your logbook #. It is usually stamped by the roll hoop I'm sure that is what he is referring to. Terry
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

hmmmm, I'll check my log book tonight to be sure what we wrote. I was still pretty sure he was looking for the chassis # to make sure the logbook is for the car he's standing in front of. I looked all over the chassis and I can't find any numbers.
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

Liked: 1

He's probably looking for the logbook number (assigned by the SCCA) which should be stamped into the chassis. this is different than the chassis # (assigned by Citation) which is likely to be on a small plaque of some sort pop-riveted to the chassis (or long since lost....). Did you look under the foam padding on the roll bar?
    -----------------------------------------
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

I'll contact ICP and see where they put the chassis numbers.

So what you're saying is that the tech guy only cares about the logbook number? If that's the case and mine's gone what can I do?

How can I have it re-stamped and prove it is the same car?

-Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Chris, You can purchase a steel stamp set with all the letters and numbers for a few bucks. Harbor Freight has one on half price sale now for $6.49. If the log book number can't be found on the roll bar, just take a hammer and the number set and stamp it on. Most are on the left outboard side where an inspector can see it during the annual tech insp.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Greg Mercurio

Chris: We don't usually care about the chassis number, just that the car matches the logbook issued to it. The number on the logbook must match the roll hoop number, and it is almost always stamped in proximity to the inspection hole drilled in the main hoop.

However, we love caveats, and today you get the treatment. Your HOMOLOGATION CERTIFICATE was assigned to your chassis number, the one Citation issued with the chassis. Should those not match you're in for a lot of hassle at Annual time.

Check both to make sure they correspond to the correct document, and if the roll hoop number is obscured, scrape the paint off in a small area adjacent to the inspection hole and apply the steel stamps. Clearcoat the area with nail polish to prevent corrosion and you're done.
    :~)

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Chris, on my Z16, it was stamped right on the very top of the roll hoop. It was faint when I got it so I re-stamped it in exactly the same place. For any Citations I've seen, the chassis number is the logbook number and there is no "chassis plate" as such. Example: mine is "8-079" - Z16 chassis number 8 built in 1979. The Griots Garage catalog also has a nice set of letter and number stamps.

Liked: 79

For what it is worth, when I needed to find material heat numbers stamped on powder coated parts at work, I would have to use a magnifying glass or photo loupe to find them most of the time.

Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

For what it's worth when I bought my Citation/Zink Z10 I looked for a chassis number and could not find one. The only number I could find was the log book ID number assigned by the SCCA. The log book number was stamped on the roll hoop. When the roll hoop was modified to meet the current height regulations it was re-stamped. On the older Citations I was lead to believe by Steve Lathrop there was no chassis serial number plate like other cars.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

The logbook number is issued by the region where the car first receives its logbook. The first two digits are the regions number (e.g. "41"). There is usually a hyphen, followed by the sequential number as determined by the region (e.g. "1234"). This allows the SCCA to know which region issued the logbook. If queried, the region can look up the sequence ("1234"), and determine who the logbook was issued to, and when it was issued. The chain of ownership should be recorded on the back page of the logbook. This would allow you to trace ownership all the way back to the first person who got a logbook for the car. Unfortunately, the back page is often overlooked, and the ownership trail is unclear. The logbook number would reflect a VIN for production cars and cars that have a VIN. On a formula car, it MAY reflect a chassis number if available, but it is not a requirement. As previously mentioned, many of the older formula cars did not have a chassis number.

Do not confuse the logbook number and chassis number. Also as stated, the logbook number is to be stamped in the roll hoop. If the roll hoop is damaged or replaced, just re-stamp the number in the hoop. It is an excellent idea to clearly mark the location of the number. Tech inspectors think you've really got your **** together when they ask where the number is and you can easily show them.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Thanks for the info Larry.

What should I use to re-stamp the role hoop? I'm sure I could come up with idea myself, but I'd figure I'll ask since I have the time. how large are usually the numbers? just an estimate....

Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

Liked: 605

sounds like you need to hang around tech when a new car is presented, that's where you see the metal number punch set used to imprint the cage/hoop.....here's an idea, drink a beer, now several more too, find an old typewriter that has the arms that come up and whack the old carbon ribbons, break off the number arms, use a small hammer and bingo you're set - perhaps the metal of the arms is not going to hold up under the stress of the hammer, if they don't, drink another beer .....but at least now you've got an idea of how big the numbers are. i am not familiar with any rule that states the size the numbers are to be but they're about typewriter size. the above suggestion about buying the set sounds like the way to go, if the price quoted is right, you'll have money left over for more beer

Liked: 3787

Thread Information