Liked: 99

Default 2024 June Sprints

Looks like there's going to be a good turnout once again in the FA class at the June Sprints this year!

With 15 already registered, it's at roughly double the highest FA entry of any Super Tour event thus far this season -- just two days into the registration window -- and five higher than the highest FA entry at any 2024 Majors race! Some of the "usual suspects" aren't even signed up yet, nor are any PFMs, either.

Jeff

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 91

As of right now, there are 21 FAs entered. I am curious how there could be this many for the Sprints yet the class couldn’t even muster a race at the Runoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    As of right now, there are 21 FAs entered. I am curious how there could be this many for the Sprints yet the class couldn’t even muster a race at the Runoffs.
    Road America is probably the best track in North America for FA (also GT1.)
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 232

A ton of people were vocal that they were not interested in VIR, especially for a second time. I think runoffs this year will be significantly better attended than last year generally speaking.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 99

While I can't speak for the whole group, I can tell you from the people I know personally, and myself, it boiled down to two things: a lack of interest in VIR, and continued fallout from the massive mishandling of the FA Runoffs race at IMS in 2021.

To expand a bit on the first point, VIR may be a fine track, but it isn't Road America. It's also a long, long tow for many in the SCCA FA class: note how of the 22 FAs now signed up for the '24 Sprints, 19 of them list hometowns west of Chicago.

And to elaborate on the second point, the mishandling of the FA race at the 2021 Runoffs left such a sour taste that several people ceased racing with the SCCA as a direct result of it. For others, it was a reminder that a poor decision by Race Control could easily wipe out half of the one race you've spent an enormous amount of time and money committing to -- and that doesn't even get into the off-putting "no hot pulls" yellow parades that have become common sights at VIR.

On a brighter note, there's a lot of excitement for the Sprints this year in the FA class. Lots of people that have been in the class for a while running cars that are new to them, the return of some familiar faces from years ago, and maybe, just maybe, a sense of optimism about the class overall (perish the thought!). FA's participation numbers make it the third-most-subscribed open-wheel class so far this year in the Majors, behind only FE2 and FV.

Jeff

Thread Information