Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow Hooks

Liked: 0

So what does everyone think of the tow hooks in update 21? I have no problem with the back hook on the trans case but that front one...
    It just does not look right on a formula car.
    Do we need these at all???
    We went this past season with no trouble. It sems like one of those things you just take your chances with and maybe you will get geeked at your annual and maybe you won't.
    What is everyones else opinon?

Tom
    chassis #58
    (Saving up for the clutch and injector package)
    (If you want to have a chance)

Liked: 120

Your right Tom. Although it works, the front eye is sin ugly.
    There must be a better looking way!

Liked: 78

We have developed a tow hook that mounts to the roll hoop and extends from each side of the cowling. It utilizes the original holes in the hood and looks and works great.

I will post pictures shortly but it is a much better design than that of SCCA.

Liked: 218

Tom, I talked to Jerry yesterday regarding the fuel pump and injectors and we also talked about the tow hooks. After powercoating them they are somewhat less than hideous, albeit still butt-ugly. However according to Jerry they will be mandatory. I also feel that the rear hook is fine, but that front one is really not very nice. When we tow the car around the paddock we wrap a strap around the lower frong wing support. My feeling is if you can lift the car by that support you should be able to tow with it. I've also seen Augie Pabst tow that way.

I've seen the tow hook on Joe's car and it is very nice (which is indicative of Jay's work). It probably should not be used for towing backwards though, as the rear wing would be in the way.

I would like like to see Jay perfect his hook, which attaches on the roll hoop and is just above the master switch, for the front hook, and use the Enterprises hook for the rear. I'm also not real fond of drilling holes through my frame to attach the front hook, which is the method Enterprises has used.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 2

jTOVO - HAVE ANY PICS OF THE ROLL-HOOP TOW HOOK OPTION AND ANYWAY TO GET ONE AND HOW MUCH?
    THANKS

In speaking with Jim earlier this week having a front and rear towhook is already mandated in the GCR.

These were made available because of one particular person in one particular region who got a hardon over the FSC cars not having a formal set of tow hooks. (Well not literally a hardon because it was a she).

Anyway, towing from the roll hoop has been no problem for us and no one in our region has said anything.

We are going to powder coat ours as well and at minimum use the rear one. I haven't looked at it very much but we might also modify the front so it's only on one side.

Jeff

Liked: 3787

Towing around the paddock by the lower front wing support may be fine, but I doubt that's the solution you want to use if the corner workers attempt to drag you out of an axle deep gravel trap.

I agree that the rear hook is really not that bad looking. I just took a good read of the rules and there is nothing that says there has to be an eye on both sides in the front of the car. I will be zipping off the left side eye and this will also save a pound or two in weight. These things are beasts.
    Tom

Jim,
    I guess you may be right.
    I will hold on the zippng. You are correct, this may be the only weight you may be able to add that is forward of the zone deemed acceptable to add weight to the car.

Tom

Tom; You might want to wait on the zipping part. As the trans crisis ends and with deliveries starting up I'm betting that Enterprises', "do what ever you need to do to keep 'em running", attitude will dramatically change. As an 18 year vereran of SRF where we are very attuned to the concept of "spec", I'm pretty sure that everyone will be reguired to use the same tow hooks, regardless of what they look like. Because SRFs are supposed to be absolutely identical many subtle attempted modifications have been determined to be illegal. The same will most likely occur in both of the SCCA cars.

Here's a good example of how picky things will probably get: At last year's June Sprints one driver was made to replace his cars's brake light. Although the bulb and lens were the same size and fit in the same location they were considered illegal because the element was made up of small LEDs instead of a bulb. No matter that the light was brighter and easier to see; it was different. It may seem silly, but that's the philosophy all of us who bought spec cars signed up for.

Think about it; after sending everybody a free set of hooks I doubt Jim and Ken will say it's OK not to use them. Just a friendly heads-up.

P.S. These things all like to push, right? So where do you really want to add the required extra weight of the heavy tow bars - low and up front or high and behind the driver?

We got ours last week with the other stuff this thing is bad it would get A "F" in A junior high shop class there has got to be something we can do I dont want to drill holes in the frame and and you need to put A plate on the other side of the frame tube.

Liked: 6

I hope your mistaken about me towing the car from the wing support. I sure dont remember it, and if one of my guys was doing that...shame on them. Im sure it wouldnt hurt it for some low effort towing but I still dont like that idea. they do need to ditch the scrap steel looking piece for the front and use something tied into the roll hoop. the rear one is ugly too, but not so obvious. I cant beleive the holes arent even round, they look flame cut!!
    regards
    Augie Pabst
    www.pabstracing.com

I envisioned something like what the front hook looks like but going throught the slots in the roll hoop extending out on both sides. Probably what Jtovo came up with. (haven't seen his pics)

Jason
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

JoeT,

Any pix???? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

According to Fastrack, it appears as of Jan 1 there won't be a choice.

f. Front and rear tow hooks, Enterprises
    part # WM134019J (F) and WM134020J
    (R) are required.

[size="1"][ December 06, 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Dennis McCarthy ][/size]

Originally posted by bhenson:
    I dont want to drill holes in the frame and you need to put A plate on the other side of the frame tube.
    You have to drill holes in the frame to mount these. [img]graemlins/skull.gif[/img] You have got to be kidding me. I haven't seen these yet and don't think I want to. Actually I do. Can someone post some pictures of these things.

There has to be a better way to do this.

What do the FC guys have for front tow hooks?

What the hell is wrong with using the roll hoop? VD put holes in the fiberglass just for this purpose.

Jtovo Can you post pictures of your tow hooks?

I know that the Board of Directors are having A meeting in Topeka in two weeks. I would like to take the car and this thing out there and show it too them and ask if thay would put it on there car?

Here is the first version of the tow hook we created. We will have the new version in a couple of days. It works very well from the front and is attractive. We will also be producing a rear hook that can be sold as a set or separately.

Liked: 1417

Joe,
    that is exactly what I was thinking - but on both sides. Is it bolted throught the frame? Also do you think it could hold the car up off the ground to be towed?
    Jason
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

The new piece is on both sides of the car as well. Testing should be finished soon for the strength and ability yo hold the entire car.

Liked: 1

On an FC car the roll hoop is exposed and the air intake is on the side(except for a few VD's).
    You think the SCCA would have thought about this aspect of the car since they write the rules and sell the car? [img]redface.gif[/img] Looks like they are trying to cover you know what with a quick fix?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

I think it's fine that Enterprises came up with an offering to meet the GCR's. I'm not crazy about the idea of it becoming a mandatory piece without a bit more development first. I don't see how it's any sort of a real competition advantage to allow an aftermarket tow hook. I would like to see it an open item such as are belts and steering wheels.
    Any thoughts??

[size="1"][ December 07, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Dennis McCarthy ][/size]

Originally posted by Mark H:
    On an FC car the roll hoop is exposed and the air intake is on the side(except for a few VD's).
    You think the SCCA would have thought about this aspect of the car since they write the rules and sell the car? [img]redface.gif[/img] Looks like they are trying to cover you know what with a quick fix?
    The car was sold with holes in the fiberglass intake cover to access the roll hoop. I have a gantry lift at the shop, and I lift the car up all the time without taking off this cover. The car can be towed, pulled out from a wreck, whatever without pulling any fiberglass off. FC cars don't need tow hooks why do we?

Thanks Joe for the pictures. Looks nice. How is it attached?

Also anyone have pictures of the Ent. tow hooks?

Has anyone towed with the new front hook? looks like it has the possibility to rub on/over the shock cover - not a very strong piece. Not to mention the scratches you are for sure gonna get.

Jason
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

Look's pretty nice JO!

I assume it is only "installed" when needed. ie., stowed during normal operations.

This is such a pretty car, it would be a shame to disturb it's lines with a permanant appendage.

If it must be "permanant," my vote would be to incorperate a front tow hoop into the new "barge boards" that are coming.

Mike

Looking over the GCR, towing straps are also permitted.

"17.31. TOWING EYES
    All cars without an exposed roll bar shall have a towing eye or strap, front and rear that does not dangerously protrude from the bodywork when the car is racing, to be used for flat-towing or hauling the vehicle."

We experimented in the shop this week with many different ideas for towing.
    One of the simple things we looked at up with was a 2 foot 2600 Lb capacity polyester endless loop strap from McMaster-Carr that we have used to pick up the car with our overhead gantry.It can be neatly tucked inside either the two holes provided for a towbar and looped around the rollhoop. Lightweight and strong, They run $7.00 and come in any size, length or strength you'd care to configure and carry a stamped safety rating on each strap. I'm not sure this is the right answer either but it sure would be nice to have some alternatives.

According to Enterprises, hooks were made madatory by the Comp Board in response to several tech inspectors writing up a couple of cars. Enterprises also would like to see the tow hooks remain an "open " item and have indicated the same to the comp board.

They feel as I do that some input from the car owners to the Comp board might be helpful in making this an open item. Now's the time for the car owners to step up and be counted before there are no options. My letter to the Comp Board, crb@ssca.com is on it's way.
    Last edited by Dennis McCarthy; 12.14.04 at 7:36 AM.

Liked: 59

Default Tow Hooks

Well, the pictures of the tow hooks, particularly the front ones, appalled me. However, they did nothing to prepare me for the real things that showed up with the fuel injectors the other day. I really don't like to post anything that would reflect badly on the folks at Enterprises who have done so much to improve the cars and to (I believe) work in the best interest of the car owners, but WHAT THE #@*! WERE THEY THINKING? I wouldn't bolt that ridiculous piece of junk on my trailer, let alone right up on top of my racecar. They're made out of 3/16 steel flat bar, the holes are cut to a precise egg shape with a torch, and there are enough 1/2 inch weld beads scattered all over them to bring the weight up to a full 6 pounds. If John Deere bolted these things on their lawn tractors they'd go out of business. I urge you to do as Dennis recommends and let the Comp Board know how absurd the mandatory rule is so it can be changed to allow the tow hooks/straps to be open items. And I'd certainly wait until this is resolved beofre drilling your frame and hacking up the fiberglass to make it fit.

Not that I feel strongly about this or anything...

Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

The thing I still don't get is the SR/FSCCA roll hoop is technically exposed.

Liked: 3

Default Fight the good fight....

These things are hideous... Fight it and insist on a setup like the Swift DB1/DB6 fair, proven and acceptable.

Sean

Anyone have a picture of the Swift setup?

Something that might have mounted to the frame in front somewhere like the hooks in the top of the picture might have been a little nicer and you would not have to drill out the frame.

Tom

Default Tow hooks

The back one won't fit under the gearbox ? Iwill be taking both the front and the rear to the national convention and showing them to the comp board I know that the BOD had not seen them I did see that thay have been made manditory in the GCR that have part numbers in the GCR but there is not a part number on the tow hooks?

Liked: 218

I just had a prototype tow hook made up that would attach on the roll hoop. I'll try to attach some pictures. Let me know what you think. This was made from 1/8" steel, but I think we should use 3/16" at least. The machinist has all the tooling made up, so he could do a run of these things. I'm going to talk to Jerry and Ken at Enterprises tomorrow to see if they would be interested in allowing this and making a rules change for it.
    Last edited by SStadel; 09.11.07 at 11:14 AM.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Steve,

Have you tried lifting the car with the eyes yet? In many unplanned off course excursions your probably going to want the choice of being able to lift and carry rather than tow the car back to the paddock.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default tow hooks

....and when not racing, you can use them as cup holders.

Either Steve or Joe's hooks are definitely the answer!!!

Jason
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 81

Default tow hooks

Don"t the pro mazda cars have the same rollhoop as the fscca cars? are they going to make them install these ugly things on there cars with a carbon tub?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information