Liked: 4

Default Input Requested: 1974-5? Ocelot Chassis

First post so here's the issue:
    A few years ago (more than 5) i purchased what was left of an Ocelot chassis and some odds and e3nds to build a b mod autocross car.

Well, a divorce and life got in the way and we never even started an autocross conversion. The chassis is in ok shape but will require some rework (rusted out areas) regardless I'm never going to be able to do anything with this car.

Here's my "problem" and we can consider this without the money factor because it's already a loss; what should I do with this thing? I cannot and will not build it for road racing or autocross but I can't bring myself to diassemble this warrior of a car. I have log books from 1975 up to when it retired in the 2000's. It was raced semi-sucessfully at almost every track I can name east of the Mississippi River and there weren't a lot of Ocelots to begin with. The original stream liner body is long gone but I have pictures and it could be restored to it's orignal glory (or close).

Thoughts and opinions are invited!

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1109

Was it red and blue and ran #2?

It was originally raced by Bob Snider if so. Its sister car is owned by a member here, and I’d bet he’d want this!

If it’s a white ‘73 Ocelot, a longtime best friend’s Dad had it and hence I sent you a PM!
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.13.23 at 12:21 PM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 13

Default Post some pictures

I remember Alex Miller had a fast one in the Northeast. One of the coolest looking cars to run in DSR.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Pahill, do you recall the color(s) of the Miller car?

Dprep, I got a “My Mailbox is Full” notice and have cleared space, please resend.
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.13.23 at 2:49 PM.

I believe the car started life white and was in wisconsin early in its existence. I know the car was in the southeast division and was owned by Rich LaTerra in Royal Palm, Florida then moved to Ohio and owned by Phil Ashbach. Another former owner according to some of the paperwork I have is Tony Brown near Orlando but that's only because it's scribbled on a piece of paper.

All the pictures I have found show the car after the streamliner body was swapped for a Lola body. We were given a few of the Lola pieces when we bought it but they were too far gone to be of any use.

I had the log books out recently but we are working on our house and I can't locate them just now. I'll find them soon.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post

Dprep, I got a “My Mailbox is Full” notice and have cleared space, please resend.

Apparently I have completely lost my mind...first logbook I found has Union Jack Racing #2

Liked: 162

Some Ocelot photos here (including the Ashbach car):

http://sports.racer.net/chassis/ocelot/gallery1.htm
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

One of the logbooks clearly states that ownership was transferred to Alex Miller on May 16th of 1977. I found a 1975 logbook and the car was white with a dark stripe up the middle.

I'm getting to the point that I feel like I should document this car's "life" in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by dprep428 View Post
    Apparently I have completely lost my mind...first logbook I found has Union Jack Racing #2
    Union Jack Racing was Alex Miller.

At the 1980 Runoffs it was red and I think had a Jeff Miller (no relation) body. Suzuki GT 750 power.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

I have seen these and I did have some of that body but it was in rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bob darcey View Post
    Some Ocelot photos here (including the Ashbach car):

http://sports.racer.net/chassis/ocelot/gallery1.htm

Cool! Thank you for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    Union Jack Racing was Alex Miller.

At the 1980 Runoffs it was red and I think had a Jeff Miller (no relation) body. Suzuki GT 750 power.

This is all getting curious...

I covered the 1975 June Sprints for the Milwaukee Region “magazine,” and just reviewed my race report talking about “Bob Snider’s brand-new Ocelot X D/SR with its all-enveloping body...”

Know that Snider’s car was the “local test dummy” for the Madison-based Ocelot builders, and driven by Mequon-based Snider living a little more than an hour east of Madison.

My report did not specify whether it was white at the June Sprints. I do recall it was certainly red shortly after its debut at the Sprints.

I wrote the article at 14 but missed the color we now need for this mystery only 48 years on... thus, I give myself a FAIL! ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20230113_14_34_23_Pro.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	105884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20230113_14_34_29_Pro.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	105885  

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Yep, that’s the car Bob Snider commissioned a new build of in 1975. Debuted at the June Sprints; but only ran a few laps with issues.

Alex Miller kept the graphics intact... and now I remember that.

Awesome.

Liked: 13

Default Alex Miller

Yes, red car with #2 was Alex Miller. It has been a few years, since I last saw him. Used to live in Oley, Pa.

Here’s a recent thread started by the owner of the Kendall Noah car:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...?93022-Lola-S2
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.14.23 at 6:43 PM.

At this point I've decided to see if there is anyone out there who would like the chassis (or it's parts) for another project or to restore it. The money part of it means little to me, I just really like to see someone use it in some way.

If that effort fails I'll seal up the ancient Hoosiers on the Revolution four spokes I have for it and hang it from the ceiling of my shop.

Ive learned more about this car in three days than I knew for 8 years lol...

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Do you still have the chassis and parts? i have a MK3 from '71

Quote Originally Posted by MJinCO View Post
    Do you still have the chassis and parts? i have a MK3 from '71
    That may be my old car, which Mk3 do you have? I think only 2 or 3 were built.

Liked: 2

The SCCA log book numbers are either 20-273 or 20-057 depending on which log book you look at The owners I have listed are 5/71 Ralph White, 4/72-10/74 Ralph White or Richard Gent, 6/81 to maybe 9/91 Bud Wright 1991-2004 John Alpers, 06-10 Gary Cearveny, 1010-2022 David Morrison. Now me. This one is different than the MK3 that was at IMS museum, the trailing front control arms are shorter, and there is no sign of ever having a front sway bar. On the one at IMS the front bulkhead was square tubing where as min is round tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by MJinCO View Post
    The SCCA log book numbers are either 20-273 or 20-057 depending on which log book you look at The owners I have listed are 5/71 Ralph White, 4/72-10/74 Ralph White or Richard Gent, 6/81 to maybe 9/91 Bud Wright 1991-2004 John Alpers, 06-10 Gary Cearveny, 1010-2022 David Morrison. Now me. This one is different than the MK3 that was at IMS museum, the trailing front control arms are shorter, and there is no sign of ever having a front sway bar. On the one at IMS the front bulkhead was square tubing where as min is round tubing.
    Doesn't sound like my car, the Mk 3b that won the runoffs in '72. I'd love to see a picture or two of it.

Thread Information